Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ElekVins
    • May 2011

Need New Tires, any advice ?

I need a set of new tires for my Kawasaki KZ 750 Twin.
    I like the style of Flat track tires but I wonder how they handle on the street, dry or wet...
    Anyone here has experiences to share about their tires?
  • ElekVins
    • May 2011

Really ?
    Nobody?
    Dunlop, Maxxis?

Comment

• ThePete
      • Nov 2011

I won't touch Maxxis, simply because I used to do product testing (for mountain bikes) and I had a Maxxis tire roll out from under me when I made the transition from trail to street when I bunny hopped off the curb, no sand no gravel etc. dislocated my shoulder.

I had pretty good luck with my last set of Dunlops and I've been happy with Bridgestones in the past but they were sport bike tires (BT-22) their dual compound tires wear and handled outstanding.

*yes the tire was properly seated and properly inflated, I've been a master bicycle mechanic since I was in my 20's (taken classes and everything) and I'd just installed and it was brand new happened less than 500 yards into it's first trial ride.
      Last edited by ThePete; 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

• ElekVins
        • May 2011

Originally posted by ThePete
        I won't touch Maxxis, simply because I used to do product testing (for mountain bikes) and I had a Maxxis tire roll out from under me when I made the transition from trail to street when I bunny hopped off the curb, no sand no gravel etc. dislocated my shoulder.

I had pretty good luck with my last set of Dunlops and I've been happy with Bridgestones in the past but they were sport bike tires (BT-22) their dual compound tires wear and handled outstanding.
        Ok, thank for your reply, I was thinking about Maxxis because I see them every where on flat track and like the design, probably not good on the road then I guess.
        I have Dunlop on my Buell too and I'm very happy but for the Kz I was thinking about the K 180 for there design, but are they any good on the street?

Still after that dirt track look...
        Anybody tried Pirelli Scorpion ?

Comment

• davidabl
          • Nov 2009

A study of bikes on Pipeburn and Bikeexif will give you a pretty good idea of what's out there.. Followed by
          Time online with tire mfgr's sites to I.d. The ones not identified in the write ups.
          Saw some cool looking Duro tires on a vintage Triumph 'tracker the other day..

Comment

• ElekVins
            • May 2011

Originally posted by davidabl
            A study of bikes on Pipeburn and Bikeexif will give you a pretty good idea of what's out there.. Followed by
            Time online with tire mfgr's sites to I.d. The ones not identified in the write ups.
            Saw some cool looking Duro tires on a vintage Triumph 'tracker the other day..
            Yes I know, it's pretty easy to find pictures and names of tires, I'm more looking for experiences of riders who tried this one or that one. No info on the quality of the tires and their grip on sites like Pipeburn or Bikeexif

Comment

• swinewerx
              • Oct 2011

Don't get the cheap ones, for they are,,well,, cheap, and they wear down fast! cheng shin's wear down really fast! that is why they are sp darn cheap in price, shinko is a great long lasting tire, I have had a shinko on the rear end of the LS, and it has hardly worn at all!! and it's nprice was really low also! The rear tires always wear down faster on a motor bike compared to the front tires, I have been running the shinko on my LS since 2004, and it sill looks like it is new! I really do not understand, I ride the LS the most, and it's rear tire is not wearing down at all! at least that is what it appears to me. The only tires I ever have to buy, are the rear tires, the front tires last so long, you can easily get forgettful as to what brand you are using on the front. I really like the way a bias ply tire looks on the back of a bike, for some reason, they really add a vintage look to the bike, I really do like that type of look on a chopper

Comment

• ThePete
                • Nov 2011

Any idea which model tire Stinko you have on the rear, and how does it handle? Coming from a sport bike I still like to rail corners on occasion and I have been a little weary of putting a set on my current bike. Funds are tight right now but an inexpensive tire is safer than a bald one.

I'm not saying Maxxis are bad tires I just had a bad experience with a set of their mountain bike tires back in like '95 a lot has changed since then I just won't consider them because I'm holding a grudge.

I'd love to run some meaty looking dual sport tires but there aren't many 16" options.

Sent from the handicapped stall.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;