CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Looking for a Velvet Paint or finish from back in the 60's ?

back in the day --- like in the 60's -- there was a paint or finish that i had one of my friends dad put on one of my chopper bikes i built -- i really want to find this finish for one of my builds i'm working on ---

my friends Dad was with the Devils Henchman MC and they had lowrider cars with this finish --- i asked his dad to put this finish on my bike and it came out badass

does anyone kno what i'm talking about? --

the velvet was about a 1/8 in long and it had no seams -- and his dad called it paint when i asked him to do my bike --- i do have a pic of the bike with this finish on it -- but it 's a long shot and blacl and white --

the velvet finish or paint was blue i had done on my bike --- but i seen it in green and black back in the 60's

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Use that furry moss shit we all used as kids when we had to build little missions and stuff for school...maybe check the auto store...they got a fuck ton of wierd paint now-a-days!!! rubbery paint, relfective paint,chromey paint....maybe there is a rattle can peach fuzz too???

or hobie store???

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jason43 View Post

LOL ---- i kno --- LOL -- i will try to take a picture of a picture --- i don't kno if it will work

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by kingdeadbeat View Post
    Use that furry moss shit we all used as kids when we had to build little missions and stuff for school...maybe check the auto store...they got a fuck ton of wierd paint now-a-days!!! rubbery paint, relfective paint,chromey paint....maybe there is a rattle can peach fuzz too???

or hobie store???
    i kno what your talking about Bro -- that isn't what i had my bike painted with--- and his dad did call it paint

but my friends dad had a hole car painted with this finish --- and i shit U not -- his dads car was a lowered custom chevy with this green velvet paint with black velvet top --- that car was the shit back in the day -- thats why i asked him to do my bike --- U could wash it like paint and it wouldnt rub off --
    there were a few of the Devils Henchmen that had there cars painted with that finish

Get Adobe Flash player

Colored primer? ,,,, we did it in the 80's to our cars... my pops said they did it in the 50's to his and his buddies hot rods.... I actually liked the deep red primered 67 pickup with a gloss black roof we did for a friend... but we also had purple primer, black, green etc cars that a high school buddy sprayed for guys circa 1982 etc. ... it was all colored primer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrtn View Post
    Colored primer? ,,,, we did it in the 80's to our cars... my pops said they did it in the 50's to his and his buddies hot rods.... I actually liked the deep red primered 67 pickup with a gloss black roof we did for a friend... but we also had purple primer, black, green etc cars that a high school buddy sprayed for guys circa 1982 etc. ... it was all colored primer.
    naaa Brotha --- it's not a primer ---

the velvet is about a1/8 in tall and they sprayed it on --- U could chush it in your hand and it would bounce back -- and i was about 11 years old when i had my chopper bike painted with this finish-- and i didn't do acid till i was 15 -- LOL -- so i'm not trippin
    it was way better than the metalflakes i seen in the 60's

i did ask some of the old school lowriders about the finish and they know what i'm talking about and they said they haven't seen that stuff in years

i was hoping someone here new about it --- it would be cool to do a bike with it or a helmet

Get Adobe Flash player

You can use FLOCK (cotton, poly, or rayon) fiber to achieve that velvety goodness.

Just did a quick search for suppliers....

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.php?pr=Buy_Flocking

Any local hobby supply store should have this stuff laying around.
    Last edited by BullDog; 12-11-2009 at 1:36 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Waterman,

If you are looking for a super nice velvet finish to apply on your bike, you should take a look at this website: www.velvet-cars.com

The company sells a new self-adhesive velvet film coated with flock microfibers.

Last edited by FrankFuzzy1; 12-14-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Jetblack

Oh man it's been awhile, since I thought about that shit. It's called Flocculation it form's a fluffy velvety mass. It happens when you add too much thinner to a paint and the pigment separates into clumps. Then you spray it on; it's similar to that orange peel that happens from rattle cans...but that's not the texture when you Flocculate paint. You can buy flocking and add to get the same effect, but the thinner way was easiest cause all the shit was readily on hand to do it.

I think the process has all but died outside of art studios.

Get Adobe Flash player

the only velvet that i know..

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by blacklungky View Post
    Hey, thanks for posting this link! They offer some pretty cool paint varieties. Dig their "cobweb" paint.

Get Adobe Flash player

I know exactly what your talkin bout but don't know what it is.....when I was a kid my dad took me to Geoge Barris' custom car showroom in so-cal and he had the original Batmobile from
    the 60's tv show,and it was painted with the paint your talking about! I remember it being all "velvety" maybe you can do a little more research on that and get some info. Good Luck and keep us informed,that shit would be cool on a chopper!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carscoop_Batman_2.jpg  

billdozer

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFuzzy1 View Post
    Hey Waterman,

If you are looking for a super nice velvet finish to apply on your bike, you should take a look at this website: www.velvet-cars.com

The company sells a new self-adhesive velvet film coated with flock microfibers.
    Silly as it sounds, for $40 you could wrap a tank. Would be worth trying. Flake is dead, it's all about the fuzz now! Wonder what it looks like in a couple years...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by akawaterman View Post
    does anyone kno what i'm talking about? --
    the velvet was about a 1/8 in long and it had no seams
    Yup, I used to see it on a VW that ran around here. It was an electrostatic process. An adhesive was sprayed on the car, and an electrostatic charge was applied. A flocking sprayer was then used to spray the car with the fibers.

Bob
    Edit:
    Found this:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=qNg...'s&f=false
    Last edited by bobscogin; 12-24-2012 at 8:48 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

We used to use something very similar to what your talking about in High School wood shop class, you would spray on an adhesive, and then use a bellows to blow on a felt, I would stand straight up,

Search Felt Flocking kit, on the interwebs.
    Last edited by jeffo; 12-24-2012 at 1:53 PM. Reason: ,

Get Adobe Flash player

thanx FrankFuzzy1 -- they didn't have wrap back in the 60's -- but i think this will work for what i want to do with a tank and frame i want to try ---
    if any of U guys have sport bikes like i do and like to cruz at 120 on the freeway -- the velvet will absorb the lazer light that comes from the radar gun the CHP has on the dash -- check it for yourself -- put a lazer on black velvet and it is gone --- it doesn't bounce back -- just something i want to try

i did find the pic of a bike i built back in the 60's -- but it is black and white and it is like 10 feet back so U can't see that the bike has a blue velvet frame back in 1968 -- i was 11 years old

thanx guys for all the help

Alikat

Had a VW in the late 60's with it on it. done by Sand Ponders of Wheeling, IL. Epoxy base with chopped Fiberglass electro static sprayed on. Could not hurt it. They did engine shields with it also. Haven't been able to find anything on it since!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    You can use FLOCK (cotton, poly, or rayon) fiber to achieve that velvety goodness.

Just did a quick search for suppliers....

http://www.craftflocking.com/index.php?pr=Buy_Flocking

Any local hobby supply store should have this stuff laying around.
    THis wa my first thought as well. Did a lot of glove boxes with it and it sounds about right.

Share This