X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Huero
    • Mar 2011

St. Pat's Day in NYC...

...who's going?

My ol' lady and the kids want to see the parade so I'm cagin' it. My Mom's Pop is from Ireland, my Pop is from Mexico (hence the name...Huero) so I think all good Irishmen need to go at least once to the biggest St. Pat's gathering in America, right?
  • Vince08859
    • Oct 2011

No parade...but I work in Manhattan.

Comment

• petemcgill
      • Feb 2012

You are absolutely right! Sounds like the weather will be good this year too. Have Fun.

Comment

• Flatironmike
        • Jul 2009

really?

beer at McSorleys and lunch at Morans anytime but THAT day
        Last edited by Flatironmike; 03-16-2012, 9:47 AM.

Comment

• budman1876
          • Apr 2010

Parade then The Allmans.

Comment

• Saucier
            • Dec 2011

I'd stay away. Gonna be a shit show.
            ... but if you do come to manhattan drop by Bowery Electric on Bowery and and 2nd st. I'll be slingin drinks there all night.

Comment

• HatchA74
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Huero
              I think all good Irishmen need to go at least once to the biggest St. Pat's gathering in America, right?
              No.

No we don't.

It's a fuckin' sham in this country and worse the world over.

Comment

• SingSing
                • Apr 2024

Thats otherwise known as "Amateur Night"......

Comment

• Mucksavage
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by HatchA74
                  No.

No we don't.

When I lived in West Cork in '95, all I did for St. Patrick's day was milk the cows as usual and go to Mass. I didn't even wear green.

Gonna be a different St. Patrick's day for me tomorrow, my daughter is the flower girl in my cousin's lesbian wedding. should be interesting.

Comment

• HatchA74
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mucksavage
                    When I lived in West Cork in '95, all I did for St. Patrick's day was milk the cows as usual and go to Mass. I didn't even wear green.
                    I don't think I even own any green clothing. Maybe a tee-shirt from the '90's.

Originally posted by Mucksavage
                    Gonna be a different St. Patrick's day for me tomorrow, my daughter is the flower girl in my cousin's lesbian wedding. should be interesting.
                    Nice! Hope you all have a great day, man.

Comment

• Huero
                      • Mar 2011

No.

No we don't.

Explain. Is it the holiday, the parade itself, NYC on St Patricks day? What is it that perturbs you?

Comment

• Detale
                        • Jan 2012

Hey bud that's great. I'm glad you're coming into the city. I'm working tomorrow but it's OK because the job site is 45 Rockefeller center which is right across the street from St. Pat's cathedral, so we'll be looking out the window at the parade in the morning. Look for me, I'll be the one in the green shirt.

Firstly I am Irish and Puerto Rican, Now being in construction here for almost 20 years I have met LOADS of "Good Irishmen" from many different counties and from my experience many of them will hate American Irish feeling that we are not Irish at all but "narrowbacks" meaning that we are not as manly as they are having a narrower back and shoulders more like women than men.

One of the more interesting things I've learned is that they don't eat corned beef on St. Pats they will usually eat ham instead. Corned beef started with the poor immigrants who came to NY and didn't have money for better cuts of meat. So basically St. Pats is more an American Irish holiday than those from the isle.

Now that being said, sure it's amateur hour out there and every weekend warrior is out drinking during the day but so fucking what?? It's a fun tradition if nothing else. Throw some green on drink a little too much and eat some corned beef. Whats the big fucking deal? These people are making it sound like a fucking war zone here

People need to relax a bit and enjoy life a little more. I've heard this through the years with some Irish being too cool to celebrate with us but fuck them then enjoy the misery boys.

Huero It's a good time for the most part man. It really is. Enjoy your day out with the family. If you were alone I'd say lets go have a drink bud. Next time

It annoys me to no end when the Irish nationals get all bitch at us Americans for doing St Pats like we do. I'd say the majority I've met will celebrate and have a good time but some do stick their noses up at the very thought of somehow lowering themselves and putting a green shirt on.

Now for you...

No.

No we don't.

"We"? Who the fuck is "We"? Do you know every "good Irishman" in the entire world? In NYC? No? That's right I don't fucking know you, so stop speaking for the rest of us, we didn't vote you the fucking little green spokesman so lighten the fuck up and enjoy just another day if it means nothing to you. It's pretty enjoyable here. It's a time for family and friends to get together, maybe go to church, eat and drink together. whats the big fucking deal?

I don't give a fuck what day it is, when people get together for good times to have a few and laugh together that's a GREAT DAY no matter what the reason and we ALL need more of them for fuck's sake.
                        Last edited by Detale; 03-16-2012, 7:44 PM.

Comment

• Huero
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Detale
                          Hey bud...
                          I don't get all "butt hurt" about everyone else's opinion, in fact, it's an open forum so people speak what they will and concur, or don't. Being my first year on the East Coast this parade is definitely a novelty thing for St Pats Day and my fam. Both my ol lady and I are from Hispanic (Mexican) neighborhoods in L.A. so we weren't exposed to all the new Irish-American shit that goes on, but I like my kids to see diversity and pay a little homage to their Great Abuelito from Ireland.

Will have to throw a beer back sooner or later, Homie, just trying to piece another bike together for this riding season!

Comment

• Detale
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Huero
                            Will have to throw a beer back sooner or later, Homie, just trying to piece another bike together for this riding season!
                            You and me both man. Where did you live in LA? I lived there for about 5 years when I was younger.

Comment

• RadfordWooly
                              • Oct 2011

I heard that parade is ridiculous!! Heard the city has to shut the streets down for hours for it, even if it falls during the work week.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;