CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default what if I went to born free and smoke out?

Who would be up for that grinder of a round trip in my van. One bike in the van, one towed

Get Adobe Flash player

isnt it about riding your bike? this isnt strugis

Get Adobe Flash player

Very true but going from coastal NC top Cali and back to NC for smokeout on a 79 ironhead only didn't seem feasible

Get Adobe Flash player

Rad! I say go for it. Sounds like fun but I agree the van just takes away from it. Drive there roll em out stand around roll em in next show same shit. Sounds boring back and forth 2 wheel adventure sounds awesome. Id add a few extra days for the just in case and for going slowerish on IH

Get Adobe Flash player

How did they do it in 1979?

In the late 40's to debut the new Triumph Thunderbird, they rode 3 production bikes to a track, rode them at an average speed of 92 mph for 500 miles, then rode them back to the factory.

Actually, chuck out that iron head and get a triumph.

Get Adobe Flash player

If it was 79, I'd hop on out and go, because it'd be brand new. Its 2012 unfortunately, and while I did rebuild the top end this month and the lower end is in good order, I'm going to wait until its had a few straight months of running well before I tempt fate like that. Plus I plan on sleeping in said van on the way (with an Aussie shower hanging off the side) and I want to have a way to transport parts etc back that I find. Plus I'll have my tools, including a small welder in case something happens to my bike or someone elses. Its ask about pppppp, that's what the army taught me

Get Adobe Flash player

You mean they didn't trailer bikes in 79?

Get Adobe Flash player

I.knew the trailer jokes were coming. I bought the bike as a non running basket case, I literally just got it running this week and I'm still working out the kinks. Its not like I have some show bike that I'm afraid to hurt, its a ratty ironhead that I'm building, and bring stranded on it doesn't appeal to me

Get Adobe Flash player

You still have three months to work em out. I have a shit box EVO Sporty with a bent frame I plan on riding form here (Washington) to the Smokout. It's not running yet lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCityG View Post
    You mean they didn't trailer bikes in 79?
    That's not what I was getting at. The year of the bike doesn't preclude it from going cross country.

Quote Originally Posted by SleezyRider View Post
    I.knew the trailer jokes were coming. I bought the bike as a non running basket case, I literally just got it running this week and I'm still working out the kinks. Its not like I have some show bike that I'm afraid to hurt, its a ratty ironhead that I'm building, and bring stranded on it doesn't appeal to me
    I feel you, man. The only way you get your bike reliable is riding it. If you're sleeping in the van, then the van is the way.

Just busting your vas deferens.

Get Adobe Flash player

Same here man.

I'm just sayin you should shoot to ride it, and when it comes time and you don't think the bike is ready pack it in the van.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CRFyou View Post
    That's not what I was getting at. The year of the bike doesn't preclude it from going cross country.

I feel you, man. The only way you get your bike reliable is riding it. If you're sleeping in the van, then the van is the way.

Just busting your vas deferens.
    once I finish up some small things on it over the next week its my main mode of transit, just like all my other bikes were when I had them. But its got to prove itself as a reliable method of transit before it goes out of state. I figure with my regular maintenance, come the end of July I'll be going on long trips with it, barring any unfortunate incidents

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd ride it from Wilmington to the smoke out, but Wilmington to Cali then to smoke out and back to Wilmington? My bike has to assure me its ready for big boy pants first haha

Get Adobe Flash player

best of luck

Get Adobe Flash player

I googled it yesterday, its about 50 hours for me, and thats nonstop. If I could get the time off I would put a change of clothes in a backpack and ride my ironhead all the way, or at least as far as it took me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Must be nice to have a dependable bike. Mine just got upgraded from basket case project to running project

Get Adobe Flash player

fuck these dicks (wait a minute, that doesnt sound right.....) i say do it. yes, it is about riding your bikes, but i totally understand not hoping on a bike thats status just went from basketcase to runner. confidence through miles, but cross country miles may not be the best miles.

its for sure an adventure even in a van, people take road trips in 4 wheel vehicles all the time, at least you will have to opportunity to pull off in different cities and blast around town, pick up chicks and rape and kill them in your van before you split town.

Get Adobe Flash player

No balls no glory...I rebuilt a 1980 XS850 motor and then three days later rode it on the EDR. Went off without a hitch. Sometimes you just have to leave it up to the road gods. Take a phone and charger and way to get on chop cult. If you break down hit us up where ever you are and I guarentee you won't be stranded. I've helped and been helped by members of this site while on a long ride. It works. Shit like this is what seperates the riders from the story tellers. This is just my opinon my man.

NHMike

Most of the people that'll give u shit for vanning it are probably the types that barely go out of state on their bikes. Do what feels right. My opinion is that you never know if the bike will make it, until you try. If I didn't have kids and bills, I'd love to jump on my bike for a month just to see how far I could get with just a backpack and a tent.

starwolf

Quote Originally Posted by SleezyRider View Post
    Very true but going from coastal NC top Cali and back to NC for smokeout on a 79 ironhead only didn't seem feasible
    Despite the IBR judges thoughts,John Young pulled all 50 states in 11 days on a '69 Triumph Trident (perhaps the most cantankerous and quirky of all Triumphs.) I think his biggest issue was his chain came off, and removed his license plate for him. As for having all your tools with you, John had enough tools to do a complete rebuild of his engine. You won't know if it'll make it or not, if you don't try.

On the same note, if you truly feel it won't make it, or your just unwilling to attempt it in its current state, its somewhat understandable. No shame in showing up with your shit in the back of a van, or truck, at least you showed up. I've done it before, and may do it again in April, because, I'm a broke looser and likely won't get my shit together in time for the Just Kickers event.

Share This