Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Incrediblah
    • Aug 2010

CA registration fail

So I recently bought a 76 shovel from a guy in NJ, and just went to register it in CA. The bike doesn't have an odometer on it, so the woman wouldn't verify it for me, and thus no new title was issued.

There's a line on the title where you can check off that it's not the actual mileage, but I guess that doesn't get around the fact that they need to see SOMETHING on there. Trying to figure out my options. I was thinking I could just buy a used speedo with more mileage than is listed on the old title, and slap it on the bike just to get it registered.

Anyone run into this before? Or, if anyone has an old speedo with more than 15k on the ticker that they'd be willing to get rid of, shoot me a PM.

Thanks
  • Tito
    • May 2010

Try that. I'm sure you can borrow a speedo from someone. When dmv inspects a bike coming in from out of state, they usually like milage. It is just for the number crunchers for the most part.

Just try to do whatever you need to do to stay away from CHP verification, which is usually for VIN inspection. But if they make you go, sometimes they will make sure you have tun signals, horn, front/rear brakes, lights, etc. And a good once over on all the numbers.

When I did my CHP verification, I plugged my dummy speedo cable to the tachometer drive. They did not notice.

Comment

• ThePete
      • Nov 2011

Weird, I brought an old Willy's in from the state of Colorado a few years back and the lady didn't even think twice about the fact there wasn't one. But then again this was out in BFE Ridgecrest.

Now that I think of it I pressed out the VIN number on a piece of thin metal and rivited it to the dash, and the motor wasn't original but then again it was a 1955.
      Last edited by ThePete; 03-12-2012, 4:07 PM.

Comment

• punkrod
        • Jul 2011

Just needs to be on the bike, doesn't have to be functional and most importantly, it needs to show more than 7500 miles, (out of state emissions requirement).

Comment

• Huero
          • Mar 2011

What I use to do when I lived in CA was put an old Drag Specialties mini on there and check the box that says "not actual mileage". It's been said before, but stay away from the CHP inspection...they'll ding you for everything!

Comment

• hugodv01
            • Sep 2009

I had the same problem. i attached un wired turn signals and a bum speedo and I got no hassle. They never even checked em. As far as the CHP, I told the officer it was a project and he signed off on the numbers without any hassle.

DMV employee was more anal since government workers are worthless piles of shit who ride the easy train until they can retire and collect a pension they do not deserve. They do mediocre half assed jobs in their cushy careers. Fucken hate them

Comment

• Incrediblah
              • Aug 2010

Cool, I'll try to slap a used one on there if I can find it. Another thing I just thought about....

This woman, who clearly knew nothing about motorcycles, was checking all of the numbers. She was looking for them on the frame, and both cases. She saw the left side case number, which is a different format from the VIN which is stamped on the frame and right case, and seemed confused by it.

It's a 76 FXE (which the bonehead who had it before me got it titled as an FL). As far as I know, only newer bikes have the numbers on both cases and the frame, so she shouldn't be worrying about that other number, correct?

I just want to avoid any possibility of them sending me to the CHP, and get everything right when I go back next time.

Cheers

Comment

• Pendulum
                • Jul 2011

I'll save you a ton of hassle... Just give the Shovel to me.

Seriously though, if you run into too many issues, PM me. I've got a solution. It's not the easiest way to go about things, but it'll work.

Comment

• rustrocket84
                  • Aug 2009

I can't remember the name of the lady at the front desk, but she is a wizard with DMV since she used to work for them. A nominal fee and you'll be rocking in no time. I think her name is Nancy. Either way she rocks. She found a loophole to help me avoid over $600 in back fees for a bike I'm still working on.

California Auto Registration
                  (951) 694-4331

Comment

• BrandonThePleb
                    • Feb 2011

went to AAA. didn't even look at the bike

Comment

• elmiguel13
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BrandonThePleb
                      went to AAA. didn't even look at the bike
                      Hell yeah! Its worth the 80 bucks a year I pay not to have to deal with the DMV. Never had any registration issues there, whatsoever with any bike, ever.

Comment

• Incrediblah
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by elmiguel13
                        Hell yeah! Its worth the 80 bucks a year I pay not to have to deal with the DMV. Never had any registration issues there, whatsoever with any bike, ever.
                        Do you have to bring an out of state vehicle to them? I may go that route if it's that much easier. In CA, an out of state vehicle must be brought for "inspection".

Comment

• Pendulum
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Incrediblah
                          Do you have to bring an out of state vehicle to them? I may go that route if it's that much easier. In CA, an out of state vehicle must be brought for "inspection".
                          They used to make you do it, but a couple of months ago a buddy went to title an XS650 that hadn't been registered or titled in AZ. Last paperwork he had was a Kansas title from the 80s. The DMV lady told him they don't do inspections on out of state stuff bikes now because of budget issues. I've also got a 3rd party guy here that's really awesome.

Comment

• petemcgill
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Incrediblah
                            I tried bringing my Shovel to AAA in CA, it had an out of state title and was a special construction. They said I had to go to the DMV office for VIN verification. That was last Sept.

Comment

• mschneider718
                              • Jan 2011

I had no issues getting my 59 FLH with a WIsconsin tag titled and registered as a 59 HD in CA...even though the frame is 70s. Just be cool to the CHP dude...matching case #s helps too I guess...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;