CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default CA registration fail

So I recently bought a 76 shovel from a guy in NJ, and just went to register it in CA. The bike doesn't have an odometer on it, so the woman wouldn't verify it for me, and thus no new title was issued.

There's a line on the title where you can check off that it's not the actual mileage, but I guess that doesn't get around the fact that they need to see SOMETHING on there. Trying to figure out my options. I was thinking I could just buy a used speedo with more mileage than is listed on the old title, and slap it on the bike just to get it registered.

Anyone run into this before? Or, if anyone has an old speedo with more than 15k on the ticker that they'd be willing to get rid of, shoot me a PM.

Thanks

Try that. I'm sure you can borrow a speedo from someone. When dmv inspects a bike coming in from out of state, they usually like milage. It is just for the number crunchers for the most part.

Just try to do whatever you need to do to stay away from CHP verification, which is usually for VIN inspection. But if they make you go, sometimes they will make sure you have tun signals, horn, front/rear brakes, lights, etc. And a good once over on all the numbers.

When I did my CHP verification, I plugged my dummy speedo cable to the tachometer drive. They did not notice.

Weird, I brought an old Willy's in from the state of Colorado a few years back and the lady didn't even think twice about the fact there wasn't one. But then again this was out in BFE Ridgecrest.

Now that I think of it I pressed out the VIN number on a piece of thin metal and rivited it to the dash, and the motor wasn't original but then again it was a 1955.
    Last edited by ThePete; 03-12-2012 at 4:07 PM.

Just needs to be on the bike, doesn't have to be functional and most importantly, it needs to show more than 7500 miles, (out of state emissions requirement).

What I use to do when I lived in CA was put an old Drag Specialties mini on there and check the box that says "not actual mileage". It's been said before, but stay away from the CHP inspection...they'll ding you for everything!

I had the same problem. i attached un wired turn signals and a bum speedo and I got no hassle. They never even checked em. As far as the CHP, I told the officer it was a project and he signed off on the numbers without any hassle.

DMV employee was more anal since government workers are worthless piles of shit who ride the easy train until they can retire and collect a pension they do not deserve. They do mediocre half assed jobs in their cushy careers. Fucken hate them

Cool, I'll try to slap a used one on there if I can find it. Another thing I just thought about....

This woman, who clearly knew nothing about motorcycles, was checking all of the numbers. She was looking for them on the frame, and both cases. She saw the left side case number, which is a different format from the VIN which is stamped on the frame and right case, and seemed confused by it.

It's a 76 FXE (which the bonehead who had it before me got it titled as an FL). As far as I know, only newer bikes have the numbers on both cases and the frame, so she shouldn't be worrying about that other number, correct?

I just want to avoid any possibility of them sending me to the CHP, and get everything right when I go back next time.

Cheers

I'll save you a ton of hassle... Just give the Shovel to me.

Seriously though, if you run into too many issues, PM me. I've got a solution. It's not the easiest way to go about things, but it'll work.

I can't remember the name of the lady at the front desk, but she is a wizard with DMV since she used to work for them. A nominal fee and you'll be rocking in no time. I think her name is Nancy. Either way she rocks. She found a loophole to help me avoid over $600 in back fees for a bike I'm still working on.

California Auto Registration
    (951) 694-4331

Quote Originally Posted by hugodv01 View Post
    ...since government workers are worthless piles of shit who ride the easy train until they can retire and collect a pension they do not deserve. They do mediocre half assed jobs in their cushy careers. Fucken hate them
    Worthless pile of shit? I stomped ass all over Bell Gardens and then the SGV, then got a G.E.D. and served 7 years Active Duty military, deployed half-way across the world away from my Family, went to night school and received an AA, left Active Duty to obtain a BS in Accounting, deployed as again a Reservist, then put in applications for 3 years to finally land a Gov't job as an Accountant working 50 hours a week.

Who the FUCK are you calling a worthless pile of shit?! What mediocre job do you show up to everyday?

Oh, I was also a certified welder, too, just in case you thought we only push pencils in our cushy jobs.

billdozer

+1 on going to Nancy at cars. I've done it through them and chp. Out of state and other problem bikes need a vin verification which aaa doesn't do. (at least the last time I tried, last year.) chp can be a pain in the ass depending on who you deal with. I've seen Hal have to argue with officer friendly about why a sportster transmission didn't have a vin (seriously) and then a couple years later the dude registered a home built Honda for me with very little hassle and zero inspection other than the numbers. I've done probably close to a dozen weird old out of state, off the books bikes with mismatched numbers, missing paperwork, you name it, it's all possible. Chp will always be more of a pain, a third party will always be more expensive. I've never been asked about proving mileage, so I think you just got a dipshit. Be nice, but creative and firm and you will succeed. I'm not sure how far you are from temecula, but Nancy and her wizard girls are a good bet if you call first, make sure they will have a vin verifier there and bring the bike to em.

I'm in Venice, so it's a little bit of a trip. If I get another DMV-tard and the decoy odometer doesn't work, I'll be taking a nice ride on down to Temecula.

Cheers

Default Registration company, Duh

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediblah View Post
    So I recently bought a 76 shovel from a guy in NJ, and just went to register it in CA. The bike doesn't have an odometer on it, so the woman wouldn't verify it for me, and thus no new title was issued.

There's a line on the title where you can check off that it's not the actual mileage, but I guess that doesn't get around the fact that they need to see SOMETHING on there. Trying to figure out my options. I was thinking I could just buy a used speedo with more mileage than is listed on the old title, and slap it on the bike just to get it registered.

Anyone run into this before? Or, if anyone has an old speedo with more than 15k on the ticker that they'd be willing to get rid of, shoot me a PM.

Thanks
    I always pay some one to do the leg work.

Bill has the right advice

Just take it to CARS in Temecula and bypass the cunts at the DMV.
    Last edited by Hooligan80; 03-13-2012 at 9:41 AM. Reason: I just saw Bill's post after I posted.

Share This