Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scout41
    • Nov 2011

TECH: Build a DIY MC Lift/Bench

OK time to start contributing to CC. I picked up all the materials and slapped this bench together for less than 150 bucks.
    Sick and tired of crouching on a bucket, losing tools, and doing work on a rickety shelf I dug out of the trash, I decided it was worth it to go make a bench. I made a few mistakes and a couple trips to ACE, but I got her done.

Thanks to this guy my shit stays out of the rain:

OK onto the build.

Tools you'll need:

GLOVES
    Saw
    Drill
    Hammer
    Tape
    Pencil
    Chalk Line
    Bits: 1/4" bit, 3/8" wood bit for ripping holes for carriage bolts, screw bit
    1 small box of nails (twisted framing nails, 3 1/2" long)
    1 box of deck screws
    20 carriage bolt sets, 5/16" x3 1/2" (for possible disassembly)
    4 small carriage bolt sets, about 1/2" size 1- 1.5" long to mount the 4th caster hole to the OSB
    15 small washers to mount casters

You'll need straps and something to secure it to. I bought 4 cheapass self tapping eyelets, just drill pilots with the 1/4" bit.

Other stuff I wish I had:

FUCKING Power Saw
    Chalk line
    Saw Horsey
    6" Clamps

Materials:

If you make lots of mistakes, buy another 8' long 2x4. I had nearly zero waste, and had just barely enough deck screws and nails.

4: 2x4x10's
    4: 2x4x8's
    2: 2x6x10's

2: 4x8's. One 7/8" thick rough both sides (top), one 5/8" OSB (bottom).

Plywood:
    I chose 7/8" thick ply form rough both sides. You could go with smooth one side for looks.

The hardware: $50 at local surplus, prob. $50 at home depot/box stores

The material: $75

(pic sans 4x8 sheeting)

The Layout:

Height: 29" (from ground to height of a Chevy tailgate), Width: 36", Length, 96"

Cut four 2x4x10's down to 93" (Subtract three inches from 8 feet to get overall dimension of 8 feet when finished).

Cut the 2x4x8's down, 4 size 36", four size 33" for inside cross bracing

Then cut the 2x6x10's down to 24" each, 24" O.C.

Note: you'll also need 2 single 24" 2x6's for mid supports

Now all your cuts are made. Time for a beer, you hand sawing hipster.

Frame that shit up, use a floor and brace them against the wall, hammer up the ends first. Then move to the cross bracing. I wedge it up against a wall to keep it square(ish).
    Measure the diagonal corners to check if it's square. Then place the plywood on top of it, hammer sides to get it square if it doesn't line up. I framed using 3 nails on at each point instead of 2, figuring it would be sturdy, but that's up to you.

Space the cross members somewhere around 2'6" from the end.

Screw down the ply with deck screws

Wedge each corner piece and drill for carriage bolts:

Saw off the excess:

Keep sawing ya bastard:

rip out holes and attach the bottom:

Put on the casters:

N get flipped off by a kid w/ a unibrow:

intro the Chop:

That's it!

I cut it all Saturday, slapped it together Sunday. It wouldn't take nearly as long with a power saw. I never work with wood either, for shoddy skills and workmanship it turned out great for me.
    Last edited by L7Josh; 03-12-2012, 9:47 PM.
  • Pendulum
    • Jul 2011

Not bad! Thanks for the write up. How do you get it onto to table? Ramps?

Comment

• KreisiMike
      • Aug 2009

Been thinkin about doing similar kinda bench...what (if anything) are going to use to keep the front wheel "locked"?... Yours turned out nice btw.

Comment

• scout41
        • Nov 2011

Yeah that is a pain in the ass, but I have a loading dock out back that I wheel the bike onto and then back up to the bench. I use berms, trenches, hills if I trucked it away from home.
        You could use a 2x8 or something larger to get it on/off or 4 buddys?

Comment

• Charlie503
          • Apr 2011

A come a long attached to the ceiling rafters and some straps would work to get it on and off

Comment

• livingdeadmc
            • Apr 2024

I cant believe you cut that shit by hand!!!! FUCK THAT!!! Lol nice job tho

Comment

• 2stroketim
              • Jan 2012

Very nice write up mang - Thanks! I may use this - - -

Comment

• scout41
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by KreisiMike
                Been thinkin about doing similar kinda bench...what (if anything) are going to use to keep the front wheel "locked"?... Yours turned out nice btw.
                Nah I'll just block up the frame when I pull the forks. I thought about that, but it would've got in the way. I've trucked with 2 straps, that seems to hold ok.
                I'll put a couple mid mount eyelets to brace it when I take the forks off.

I also tried to get this material from a local construction site, but they wouldn't let me dumpster dive because of insurance. We burned it by the truckload at the last site I worked and wished someone would've picked it up. Sometimes they have enough scrap to do projects like this.

Comment

• scout41
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by livingdeadmc
                  hah thanks, respect the amish

Comment

• 2stroketim
                    • Jan 2012

I wanna figure out a way to build this sucker with a "trap door" for my oil changes....my scoot is really low, so I can't fit an oil pan underneath it. It's a real fuckin pain in the ass to swap oil. BUT, a little door with a hinge may work.....

Comment

• carl609
                      • Jan 2010

Looks good man. I would have said fuck that old hand saw and picked up a skil saw when I got the lumber. I was thinking about building something similar, but dont want to give up all the space. I think I am going to go for the harbor freight lift so I can slide it under a car or lean it against the wall when I am not using it.

Comment

• gyro
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by livingdeadmc
                        yea you know lowes or home depot will cut sheets of ply wood fo freeeeeee right?

Comment

• backwithabang
                          • May 2011

My method was so much lamer but still effective. Garbage picked an old heavy duty coffee table drilled two 2x4s in it to hold the front wheel and use 2 cinderblocks and a piece of plywood for a ramp

Damn good job on that though. I like the heavy duty casters so you can roll it around

Comment

• scout41
                            • Nov 2011

Thanks guys. Yeah that hand saw wasn't too big of a deal, cutting pine isn't bad it's just getting through that ply that was a bitch. It was in the basement and it was free. Good idea on the trap door.

It didn't make sense to buy an mc lift, I'd propped my bikes up on buckets and hung them on the rafters, I still set my tools down and lost them. This way I can throw everything I need underneath and stop running between the house and garage like a tard.

Comment

• purerockfury
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by gyro
                              yea you know lowes or home depot will cut sheets of ply wood fo freeeeeee right?
                              +1 or i would have borrowed a saw before i cut that shit by hand..lol or you could bought a cheap ass one...think they have them for like 25 bucks

i built something like that too...i busted up these huge crates at work that are built out of 2x4's and got a scrap of ply from my bro....hole thing cost me $0

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;