Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shanelxi
    • Mar 2012

sl350 bratty dirtbike build

This is my first motorcycle build, so bear with me here. Started getting obsessed with bikes a few years ago after I bought a moped for my wife (embarrassing I know). I had fun riding it around myself, so I bought another and pretty soon ended up with 4. So that obviously got boring after a while, and I started looking into real bikes, lol.

So I bought a few parts bikes locally for pretty cheap. A titled '69 cl350 and a '71 cl350 that had been hit pretty hard. Too bad it ruined the disc brake front end .

Then I got an amazing deal on this titled and running '70 sl350. It's a bit rough, but runs great. It was used as a farm rig for a local small engine mechanic, but I have the sneaking suspicion that he didn't care for this thing as well as he should have mechanically. But that's ok, it's a nice start!

Then I started tearing into it. Stripped the front end down, lowered the forks in the triples a bit and bought some headlight mounting tabs. Took me about 2 hours to get the wiring out of the handlebars, but I finally got it loose. Also removed the fenders and out some cb350 shocks in the back (which are about 1" shorter than what came on the bike). I shattered the headlight trying to get it open, so I'm going to have to find something else there. All it all, it looks fairly good, but I've still got plans .

I also bought a yamaha rd400 gas tank. It's about 3" longer than the sl350 tank and looks a bit like an aftermarket cafe tank. Need to fab up some mounts for it, but it should fit nicely after a little modification.

Unfortunately, I noticed this as I was taking the front end apart. Yep, that's jb-weld on there. The previous owner apparently wasn't worried about catastrophic failure. I have since bought another parts bike and used the triples off of that with my sl fork tubes.

Planning on doing a lower bike that I can still take out on some very mild dirt trails. Getting my swingarm stretched a bit, and also got a set of clipons. I'll post an updated picture this weekend, but not a lot has changed, lol.

Anyway, that's kinda what I've got so far. Let me know what you think. Any advice is accepted with gratitude as well!!

Oh yeah... Here's my moped, lol.
    Last edited by shanelxi; 07-30-2012, 12:02 AM.
  • NHMike
    • Apr 2024

Where are the "real bikes"?

LOL, just fucking arouns.

The bike looks good, I dig where you've got the headlight mounted. it looks cool down low like that. You've gotta give the PO some props for riding a bike with a JB welded triple, that takes some fucking balls!!! Hahahaha

Comment

• HWC
      • Aug 2009

id cafe the CL's an motard the SL,,i wouldnt put that RD tank on the SL,,it would be just because u can doesnt mean u should,,,SL tanks rightous in its own way..

google images of super motos or motard,,chek um out...

JB's liquid steel aint???says so right on the package,,HAHA not,,,PO musta been a idiot,,id go over that whole bike with a fine tooth comb man,,no tellin what other "mods" u got goin on there

Comment

• shanelxi
        • Mar 2012

Going to be making a hardtail bobber with the titled cl350, and the sl350 tank will be going on that along with this headlight. I just scored what I think is a triumph headlight? Got it for free and it's all there so it's going to end up on this bike as well. Yeah I couldn't believe PO was cruising around like that. Bought the 3rd parts bike for $50 sight unseen so I could use the triple trees on this bike, went to pick it up, and it had a fucking broken upper clamp as well! Luckily the totalled cl has a cb350g front end on it, and the only part that was still salvageable off of it was the upper clamp, which worked perfectly with the lower on the parts bike!

BTW, my parts bike came with 3" extended fork tubes if anybody is interested. The tubes themselves are pretty pitted out, but still might be usable.

Comment

• shanelxi
          • Mar 2012

Not much of an update really. Got the front end put back together and put the clipons in position. I don't know if this is the proper position for them to be in, but it feels comfortable to me. Plan is to mock up the tank, extended swingarm and my seat pan, then tear the bike down and paint/polish/rebuild everything. Should get a bit accomplished on wednesday after I clean the garage up a bit. Might have to get a little creative with the tank mounts. Honda tank slips onto bushings mounted on the frame, but the rd400 tank is the opposite. I'll figure it out...

Comment

• ZDubya
            • Mar 2012

I'll definetly be following this build. I dig where you got the headlight, got a pretty good look going so far. I second the motion for using that tank thats on it, looks bitchin but to each his own.....

Comment

• HarbingerHank
              • Dec 2011

The SL tank is nice, but if you are going for more of a cafe look (judging from the clip ons) then totally the RD tank man!

This is gonna be a definite follow for me man, love the SL's.

Comment

• shanelxi
                • Mar 2012

Thanks guys! This is my first build so I'm still kinda messing around with stuff but I've got some good ideas so far. Many changes to come!

Comment

• Pendulum
                  • Jul 2011

More info on the Cressida. ASAP.

Comment

• shanelxi
                    • Mar 2012

Here's my build thread on the Cressida. Air ride is the next thing.

Comment

• soulmachine
                      • Oct 2011

Cressida looks tits. Oh, and the bike is cool too.

Comment

• xl350
                        • Feb 2012

bike looks like a good start. cressida looks good too my buddy's got one like yours but he put a 1uzfe v8 in it. definatly a fun car especially when people see it they dont expect it.

Comment

• shanelxi
                          • Mar 2012

Thanks! I don't think I'll ever get rid of that Cressida, lol.

Anybody know of a good place to get shorter cables or of a place that can shorten mine? Anyone have experience with motionpro?

Comment

• HWC
                            • Aug 2009

"Anyone have experience with motionpro?"

yes,,,MotionPro will make u cables any length you need....

Comment

• shanelxi
                              • Mar 2012

I've read a lot of positive reviews on them. I'll give them a call tomorrow and get some cables made.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;