CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Vintage Style - 1910

I uploaded this because I thought the detail in this shot was great.

I had to make some chages to this original post. Utah Historical Society aside, this should be F E Whittler, famous speed racer of the early 1900s on a Flying Merkel. If it is Whittler. This is some good vintage, period detail of a running Merkel. I think Whittler shortly thereafter was also running Indians. He was also punished by the racing folks for running in unsanctioned events. Which makes him an original "outlaw" biker in 1910.

~Rev Mike

This is John F Whittler ( more likely F. E. Whittler ) in Salt Lake City on June 28, 1910. Photo by Shipler Commercial Photographers; Shipler, Harry.

Whittler on Machine

Last edited by revmike; 12-04-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: bogus "facts"

Get Adobe Flash player

1910 Curtiss Single

Get Adobe Flash player

This is the Wagner frame (1910), which is of exclusive design, having 3 bars terminating in the fork head. The first and second bars form the diamond, and are of 16 gauge tubing. The lower bar, of 14-gauge tubing, makes the loop around the engine. It will be noted that the motor is hung low and well forward, so that perfect balance is obtained. The seat mast and loop are one continuous piece, and there is no separate exhaust pipe as the waste gasses are carried through the loop frame to the muffler. The standard equipment is the Wagner special twin fork, or a spring fork if desired by the purchaser. The company will furnish either rubber or Wata-Wata leather belts. The Tourist battery model sells for $200, the spring fork battery for $210 and the magneto model for $225

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is a nice diagram of a 1910 motorcycle with the various parts labelled. Should be easy enough to read. If you need a bigger copy, PM me and I'll send you one. Pretty cool.

~Rev Mike

Get Adobe Flash player

good stuff Rev! enlightening!

Get Adobe Flash player

more to come!

Get Adobe Flash player

Im getting a poster made of the first one - cool stuff...

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by revmike View Post
    The seat mast and loop are one continuous piece, and there is no separate exhaust pipe as the waste gasses are carried through the loop frame to the muffler.
    That sounds horrible. Man, that must have caused some serious problems with condensation & integrity issues... now I've got something to look for. Thank for sharing.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bikes like that make me proud to be an American.

Great snap shot of our history.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    That sounds horrible. Man, that must have caused some serious problems with condensation & integrity issues... now I've got something to look for. Thank for sharing.
    That is what I thought, continuous loop and it would seem that the exhaust was also in that same loop weird. Not to mention heat.

~Rev Mike

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by revmike View Post
    That is what I thought, continuous loop and it would seem that the exhaust was also in that same loop weird. Not to mention heat.

~Rev Mike
    Jump ahead for a minute to 1917, I just thought this was pretty interesting... Cannonball Baker and his Indian Motorcycle....

Get Adobe Flash player

And... more of the same with some details from July 1917

From the Wiki-verse...

Erwin George "Cannon Ball" Baker (March 12, 1882 – May 10, 1960) was a motorcycle and automobile racing driver and organizer in the first half of the 20th century. Baker began his public career as a vaudeville performer, but turned to driving and racing after winning a dirt-track motorcycle race in Crawfordsville, Indiana in about 1904.

Baker was also famous for his record-setting point-to-point drives, in which he was paid to promote the products of various motorcycle and automobile manufacturers. In all, he made 143 cross-country motorcycle speed runs totaling about 5,500,000 miles (8,850,000 km).

In 1908, Baker purchased an Indian motorcycle and began entering and winning local races. His most famous victory came in 1909 at the first race ever held at the newly built Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Baker also raced at the 1922 Indianapolis 500, placing 11th in a Frontenac. He later became the first commissioner of NASCAR. Baker was inducted into the American Motorcyclist Association Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1998.

Last edited by revmike; 12-04-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: more cool stuff

Get Adobe Flash player

Merkel Light from 1910... sorry, I cleaned this up as best I could - very poor copy and too small for the details to boot, but a great example of some of the work going on.

~Rev

Get Adobe Flash player

Okay, last ones tonight. This is cool, just an illustrated list of engines and frames being manuf in 1910. This should be an interesting reference. If you want a bigger picture of these to download, I have huge (20 in x 30 in) jpg copies here: (have fun!! ~Rev Mike)

Large 1910 Engine Chart

Large 1910 Frame Chart

Get Adobe Flash player

those pics are banana's. are the engines sketched to the same scale? I'm guessing no.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by philbey View Post
    those pics are banana's. are the engines sketched to the same scale? I'm guessing no.
    I don't think so, that is pretty much the way they were published. I think the comparisons were meant as between engines and between frames. Just my hunch.

~Rev Mike

Get Adobe Flash player

Daring Performance - April 12, 1910

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 37, Number 193, 12 April 1910

MOTORCYCLIST SUCCEEDS IN LOWERING RECORD

J. E. Whittler, who tried to lower the worlds records for motorcycles up to fifty miles at the motordrome Sunday, succeeded beyond all expectations. The former record of 44 minutes and 33 seconds held by Jake DeRosier was cut to pieces by Whittler, who shattered every record from seventeen up to fifty miles. His time for the half-century Is 40 minutes and 13 seconds, or 4 minutes and 20 seconds lower than the former record. His average mile was 48 seconds. The fastest mile was made in 44 2-5 seconds. This record Is official and is expected to stand for some time. The timers were Kilby, Latham and Johnson of the Los Angeles Motorcycle club. Whittler will probably try to repeat his daring performance In the near future.

Share This