Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taylor623
    • Feb 2012

Getting a Bonded Title -Help - AZ

I was given this bike with out a title so I went down to the 3rd party DMV place and they told me I had to get a bonded title with it. He gave me the sheet with everything I need to do to get it titled.

Some of the things that really rasied some concerns for me is the Emissions Test and the Vehicle inspection scares me because the bike is completely tore down to the frame and even more it is cut in half and on a jig to get the hard tell welded up.

This whole thing is starting to over whelm me. I just don't even know where to start

Has anyone ever went through this or can you give me some pointers.

Thanks, Taylor623
  • randommayhem
    • Dec 2011

If it's already cut up I'd say wait till you get it built back up and make sure you have turn signals, a horn and whatever else they look for in the inspection then do it. If you have everything and the VIN is still on it and it all works I don't see why it should be a problem.

Comment

• livingdeadmc
      • Apr 2024

I just started following you on tumbler....random lol

Comment

• Pendulum
        • Jul 2011

I don't think AZ MVD is doing inspections anymore. A friend of mine just got an XS650 titled here, and didn't need an inspection. The bike was from the Midwest, never had an AZ title. MVD told him that they weren't doing out of state inspections anymore. Lack of funding or some crap.

Comment

• hawtpocket
          • Jan 2011

I did this with a car once. The inspection is just to verify the vin and mileage so you might be able to get away with partially assembling the bike and trailering it down there. And yes motorcycles have to pass emissions in maricopa county.

Comment

• Hoperator
            • Aug 2011

Looks like they have until July to come up with a decision whether or not to protect the precious, angel burp desert air.

Comment

• Pendulum
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Hoperator
              http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html
              Looks like they have until July to come up with a decision whether or not to protect the precious, angel burp desert air.
              Currently, we have to pass in Maricopa County. My bike would probably pass... My buddys XS passed once he dialed the carbs in... I'm RIGHT on the edge of the exempt area though. So close it's frustrating that I'm not exempt.

Comment

• coachstorms
                • Apr 2024

I went through this with my XS and about to go through it with another. Wait til it is up and running, go get a level II inspection anywhere but the tempe MVD office (the one in scottsdale was super low key). You'll need a horn and mirror to pass. From there go get your emissions done, cost 20 bucks and it isnt a big deal. Have someone who knows carbs adjust them to pass, get your pass sheet then have them dial it back in to make it rideable again. From there go back to the 3rd party spot (ASAP Title Services in Tempe) and let them do their thing.

Comment

• coachstorms
                  • Apr 2024

oh, if you need a bond let me know I have a referral I can point you towards. The process seems overwhelming with all the hoops and red tape but it isnt that bad.

Comment

• Pendulum
                    • Jul 2011

You shouldn't have to have the carbs tuned after passing emissions. If the bike is running properly, you can pass emissions on the same tune that you ride every day on. I've ridden my buddy Marins XS a lot... Probably put more miles on it than he has... And it's the same tune that he passed emissions on.

Comment

• Taylor623
                      • Feb 2012

Could I file for an Abandoned title? And just say someone left it on my property? Would that be any easier ? I know there is going to be no easy way to deal with this.
                      Last edited by Taylor623; 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• coachstorms
                        • Apr 2024

Still gonna be a lot of hoops for an abandoned title id imagine.

As for the carb tuning I am only speaking from having had to do it a few times. Lots of times it needs to be a little lean to pass clean and it will run fine that way depending how you ride. I've just found that mine preferred being towards the richer side. So a quick tweak post-test and I am good to go. Whats optimal for performance and optimal for the environment usually isn't the same thing. But then again if you aren't in maricopa county or your machine is 40 years old you wont need emissions anyways.

Comment

• Pendulum
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by coachstorms
                          Still gonna be a lot of hoops for an abandoned title id imagine.

As for the carb tuning I am only speaking from having had to do it a few times. Lots of times it needs to be a little lean to pass clean and it will run fine that way depending how you ride. I've just found that mine preferred being towards the richer side. So a quick tweak post-test and I am good to go. Whats optimal for performance and optimal for the environment usually isn't the same thing. But then again if you aren't in maricopa county or your machine is 40 years old you wont need emissions anyways.
                          I thought ALL motorcycles had to do emissions in Maricopa County?

Originally posted by Taylor623
                          Could I file for an Abandoned title? And just say someone left it on my property? Would that be any easier ? I know there is going to be no easy way to deal with this.
                          Abandoned title shouldn't require an inspection, unless the bike was never titled in AZ. No bond, either.

Comment

• Taylor623
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Pendulum

Abandoned title shouldn't require an inspection, unless the bike was never titled in AZ. No bond, either.
                            I don't have to get a inspections?

Should I just bring the frame down there with a bill of sale?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;