Hardtailed, sprocket non alignment question...

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rodderz
    • Oct 2010

Hardtailed, sprocket non alignment question...

Another basic question i'm afraid

91 sporty hardtailed, we put the motor back in yesterday, using stock rear wheel, stock front and rear sprocket.

Now, the wheel is central to the backbone, centered between the rear stays, but there is a hell of alot of offset between the two sprockets. The rear engine mounts are still stock, so its not the engines fault, and i've not gone for a wider rear wheel.

After some CC searching I'm feeling that ill need to buy an offset front sprocket or something, but thats usually for wide wheel jobbers

anyone give us some clues? we're stumped.

Cheers in advance!!
  • misfitJason
    • Sep 2009

Wel you aren't using a stock frame from the back half so yes you will have an offset whether it's a wider tire or not

Comment

• WOMPY
      • Aug 2009

Do not just move your wheel over to line up chain, ever. You need to get two things straight first:

1. Make sure your front and rear wheels are tracking (in line with each other.)

2.After that is straightened out, move to your chain alignment by either buying an offset sprocket or with spacers. You will then need to cut axle spacers and you should be golden.

***Don't forget about your brake bracket and this affects where your wheel sits.***

Have fun and good luck.......

Comment

• Incrediblah
        • Aug 2010

How far off is it?

I had the same thing happen with my sporty when I switched to a rigid frame and swappied wheels. I ended up with the wheel about 1/4" off center with the sprockets lined up, and just trued the wheel over to center in order to compensate. That's another option if you need some fine adjustment, and it can be done with just a spoke wrench and a little patience (provided you're running spoke wheels.)

Comment

• Rodderz
          • Oct 2010

Photobucket

Photobucket

That how far its out, going straight from the rear sprocket.

Guess i'm gonna align the wheels, measure the shit out of everything, then just order the correct offset sprocket. That will give me a little more room around the battery tray too, so thats a bonus.

Thanks again for the replies/advice
          Last edited by Rodderz; 03-05-2012, 3:26 PM.

Comment

• dangeiger
            • Mar 2011

Looks like if you can flip flop that tranny sprocket the other way around it'd get you pretty close. Or closer than you are now anyway...

Comment

• residentdud
              • Aug 2010

^^^x2

looks like your drive sprocket is backwards!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;