CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    ArturoVoodoo

Default Shovelhead Engines. Loved and loathed. Why?

I was sitting in this dive bar that I used to frequent and when we would all start talking about bikes Shovelheads were always near the top. I noticed that with the old school shovelhead owners there's a difference between them. One group gets all sentimental and a smile comes across their face and they wish they could have their shovel back. The other folks say they were junk and leaked oil and that AMF sucked. So I asked an older fella that has owned them all and he doesn't pussy foot around when asked a question. So I knew I would get a true response. I asked why half of past shovelhead owners love their bikes more then their very own wife but the other half of owners puts them down as soon as possible. They bitch about AMF, or how they leaked oil all over and anything else they can find wrong with them. He said you know the ones that loved their shovels we're the ones that didn't mind the leaky oil or having to wrench on them and the ones that did hated it. He said if you didn't mind wrenching on your ride it was no problem but if you didn't know how you hated them. Do you all think he's right or wrong?
    Last edited by ArturoVoodoo; 03-02-2012 at 9:21 PM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its AMF and I think he's right.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, makes perfect sense to me

Sent from my badass mobile communicator thingy

ArturoVoodoo

Quote Originally Posted by nick5 View Post
    Its AMF and I think he's right.
    Lol Thanks for pointing that out. Was reading the AMA newsletter and I got fucked up. Good eye tho.
    Last edited by ArturoVoodoo; 03-02-2012 at 9:26 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default shovels

The ones that love 'em can work on 'em and fix any problems. The ones that hate 'em are lazy

Get Adobe Flash player

Default shovels

Quote Originally Posted by ArturoVoodoo View Post
    I was sitting in this dive bar that I used to frequent and when we would all start talking about bikes Shovelheads were always near the top. I noticed that with the old school shovelhead owners there's a difference between them. One group gets all sentimental and a smile comes across their face and they wish they could have their shovel back. The other folks say they were junk and leaked oil and that AMF sucked. So I asked an older fella that has owned them all and he doesn't pussy foot around when asked a question. So I knew I would get a true response. I asked why half of past shovelhead owners love their bikes more then their very own wife but the other half of owners puts them down as soon as possible. They bitch about AMF, or how they leaked oil all over and anything else they can find wrong with them. He said you know the ones that loved their shovels we're the ones that didn't mind the leaky oil or having to wrench on them and the ones that did hated it. He said if you didn't mind wrenching on your ride it was no problem but if you didn't know how you hated them. Do you all think he's right or wrong?
    Shovels, pimple shovels are not true shovels. slabs, baby, are the shit. nothing, nothing harley ever madse sounds as tuff as a dialed in slab.. just my opinion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 68 Slab 2.06.12 003.jpg   Slab 66 10,500.jpg   Slab Shovel.jpg   6.2.11 003.jpg  

Madav8tr

1st Twin cams and Evos aren't real Harleys and now cone shovels aren't real Shovels? If it makes you feel better my uncle has a pan and he thinks that slab shovels are wannabe pans

Get Adobe Flash player

Fuck that shit, I roll OG like Fred here....

Anything newer else is wannabe poser shit....

p.s.

Shovels fucking rule
    Last edited by BerserkerBlue; 08-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I traded a fucking cherry 02 fatboy straight up for a non running 81 shovel and i've been loving it ever since. I can't really explain the feeling i got when i first saw it. It was ugly as hell, but somehow spoke to me and pleaded for new life. I brought the shovel home on a trailer against many of my friends and familys advice. I would trade a hundred fatboys for this bike if i could. I will never get rid of it. It is part of me and i'm only truly happy when were blasting down the road together. My ol calls it a sickness. I guess so. Plus a lil oil on the concrete never hurt nothing. Hell it rarelly leaks anyway.

ArturoVoodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard43 View Post
    I traded a fucking cherry 02 fatboy straight up for a non running 81 shovel and i've been loving it ever since. I can't really explain the feeling i got when i first saw it. It was ugly as hell, but somehow spoke to me and pleaded for new life. I brought the shovel home on a trailer against many of my friends and familys advice. I would trade a hundred fatboys for this bike if i could. I will never get rid of it. It is part of me and i'm only truly happy when were blasting down the road together. My ol calls it a sickness. I guess so. Plus a lil oil on the concrete never hurt nothing. Hell it rarelly leaks anyway.
    This is what I'm talking about. Loved or loathed. I know you love your Shovel. It's the same undying bond that the Shovel seems to have on the right rider. Something bout them.

ArturoVoodoo

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    The ones that love 'em can work on 'em and fix any problems. The ones that hate 'em are lazy
    Exactly what the old timer said. The ones that love can fix them and the ones that don't just bitch about them. Man it would seem you and my friend could talk it up over some cold ones.

Get Adobe Flash player

Exactly what the old timer said. The ones that love can fix them and the ones that don't just bitch about them. Man it would seem you and my friend could talk it up over some cold ones.
    Yea, but when i got my shovel, i didnt know shit about them. I'm learning as i go. Now i have 2 shovels. An 83 flh and my 81 chop. Not sure if i'll ever have anything else. Riding a shovel is an adventure everytime. Twin cams are boring. Haha.

Get Adobe Flash player

Old? Why don't you help the elderly and send me a t-shirt with your avatar on it? Medium, young feller.

ARBY

If it wasn't for AMF there would be no moco today. And during those years it was the Shovelhead engine that saved Harley-Davidson. Too bad they stopped building real motorcycles around 1984.

HotSnotRocket

I think my total for 38 years of riding and owning Harley's is 12 bikes. Shovel wise, I bought a brand new 1977 FXE Superglide and it cost $3,640.00 out the door in Kirby's H-D in Columbia S.C. It used oil from day one. Every time I took it to the dealer the shop manager would say, "It's not broken in yet". At 3,400 miles I pulled the top-end and it had a .120" ring gap. Two grooves were worn in the cylinder where the ring gap was so wide. Bored it to .020" over and rode it for almost 20k miles when I started to hear rod noise and Sold It. All the rest (1969, 1973) were used. I know there's people who feel Shovels are the Stuff. To me, they are not good or bad.

In my opinion the Best Engine H-D has made is the Evo. Numerous mechanics (and even one Service Manager) call Twin-Cams as "Throw-aways". I currently have two Evo's and my beloved 1957 Panhead (and no Shovels).

I WANT A KNUCKLE! (and have never owned one.)

Get Adobe Flash player

Man how true that is , i traded a bad ass 37 Chevy Rat Rod truck for a 54 pan/shovel on a rigid paucho frame that would only run after giving it a squirt of starting fluid (found this out after making the drive up there) only seeing pictures of it i drove about 400 miles round trip to get it .Once i got there and checked it out i had to have it . My ole lady calls her Christine , guess i'm abit attached to her and like you will never get rid of her . After getting her home and a couple grand later she is on the road and i would rather ride it more than my other three bikes.

Keep rollin.....

Get Adobe Flash player

There is nothin like Old Iron and the way they sound ,ride, leak,and look. besides all the cool stuff ya can do to em. And only a select few still choose to ride em cuz they dont mind all the shit that comes with owining one, been riding for many a year and always regret getting rid of my first Shovel, it was a sad day .

Get Adobe Flash player

+ 1

Get Adobe Flash player

EVO's sound good don't get me wrong, but it's nothing like a shovelhead. It's a different feeling when your riding them man, hard to explain unless you own one.

Mine's a kickstart only and I get shit for that too, but you feel like more of a man when you kickstart your bike, lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

I love my shovel. I love the way it sounds. I love the way it runs. I love how I can find parts and people who love them too.

As far as what Buddhahoodvato was talkin about.......pimples aren't "Harley" per se. I'm pretty sure he's just a Pan kinda guy Them slabsides are awesome cuz they're the good parts of a pan with the improved heads of a shovel.

I'm no expert, nor an "old timer", but from what I've gathered is that when AMF took over there were a lot of disgruntled employees at HD so AMF got a bad rap cuz they were a sporting goods manufacturer? dealing with bowling parts? Anyway, It'd be like if Nike took over HD I guess (you'd be upset too). They had money for R&D and still used old Harley stock parts.

There's rumors that there was sabotage but I don't know about that as most AMF bikes that are still around today have had whatever "issues" fixed. They also have/had a reputation as poor quality control and parts but I think that had more to do with "new employees" that came about with the AMF takeover and and people's apprehension about AMF running their beloved HD factory which isn't really an issue now as our technology has advanced since then our replacement parts keep getting better and better.

The oil leaks? Mine leaks, but that's my fault for not replacing the primary gaskets BOTH times that I tore it apart. Shovels don't have to leak oil. A lot of guys I've talked to say that when they take a shovel apart they'll take a plate of glass? and sand the flat surfaces flat? Also the gaskets we use now are a LOT better than the cheapo paper gaskets from a factory. I don't mind it leakin oil though. It's a rude machine that marks it's territory. People know where I park.

Yes, you will learn to wrench some if you own a shovel. But that comes with owning an older bike anyways. If that's not something you can handle then buy a newer bike or be prepared to spend money on a mechanic I guess.

I guess the "pimple" ain't too bad cuz they still used the bottom end/ alternator with the Evo. And I'm not knockin Evos at all. I just heard that a shovel is the last mill that yer average guy with a normal set of tools could wrench on. Evos have proved to be pretty bulletproof. And the guys I know that like their twincams..... are the guys that can afford to drop them off at the dealership to get them fixed. So yeah, the guys I know that have their twincams just miss their old shovels.

I'd say don't be shy about jumpin into an AMF bike. They're glorified Briggs & Stratton motors anyway.

Shovels Forever.

Share This