CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Shovels are great beginner bikes, once you master working on one you are ready to move up to a Pan, Knuck, or Flatty.

I do like them, but prefer the really visceral feel of a rigid frame Pan, just something about how basic and primitive they are.

To me, Shovels were the beginning of a much more refined machine.

But hey, I still wish I had my old '69 Sporty!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    Shovels are great beginner bikes, once you master working on one you are ready to move up to a Pan, Knuck, or Flatty.

I do like them, but prefer the really visceral feel of a rigid frame Pan, just something about how basic and primitive they are.

To me, Shovels were the beginning of a much more refined machine.

But hey, I still wish I had my old '69 Sporty!
    I have an EVO, a Shovel, and a Pan. I am ready for a Knuckle.......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Bbqbiker View Post
    I have an EVO, a Shovel, and a Pan. I am ready for a Knuckle.......
    I've never ridden a Knuck, but my first bike was a WL45 flathead basket case. I painted our mailman's barn in trade, took me most of the summer to do it, but I had the coolest bike in the school.

I have been riding the same 73 shovel for 38 yrs . Been times i cussed it . Been times i sang to it. I have rode it and it has rode me. They get in yer soul

I've had mine for 28 years, and still find things to refine on it. It's great to ride in its present form, but the real reward is making different stuff work, and work good. It's got more than average brakes, carburetion, acceleration, and a few more of more this and that.
    Why not? It's the fun of it that makes my day. The Weber carb doesn't really make more power than a correctly tuned S&S or Mikuni. I did it just to be the only one with this type of carb.
    Shovels can be made to run pretty good. I had it dynoed at 95 ponies about 12 years ago, and by now, it's probably squeaked up to a three digit figure. That's about right for my usual street riding. I don't race the thing, I just have fun with it. After all, as I said, it's all about the fun. If you can't get fun out of it, then you should try something else.

Bill

Get Adobe Flash player

I prefer the rake or broom to a shovel

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by fuke View Post
    I have been riding the same 73 shovel for 38 yrs . Been times i cussed it . Been times i sang to it. I have rode it and it has rode me. They get in yer soul
    Epic first post. Yeah, you'll fit in here just fine...

[QUOTE=DoomBuggy;753066]Shovels are great beginner bikes, once you master working on one you are ready to move up to a Pan, Knuck, or Flatty.

I was already WAY past beginner stage when I started working on this in 1992.

I'm still tinkering with it now, but most of the go-fast stuff is pretty much done.

Bill
    With my Pingel electric shift setup, I can do clutchless full-throttle shifting. Kinda puts me a little more ahead of the game.

Get Adobe Flash player

Was just jesting with you a bit. There are a few folks who have attained some serious speed on a Shovel. I just love the looks of the tin tops and will forever be a Pan kinda guy. I did have a 70s era Shovel with a side car for a summer, THAT was a fun bike!

Quote Originally Posted by fuke View Post
    And yer wallet.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    Was just jesting with you a bit. There are a few folks who have attained some serious speed on a Shovel. I just love the looks of the tin tops and will forever be a Pan kinda guy. I did have a 70s era Shovel with a side car for a summer, THAT was a fun bike!
    The same back atcha.�� My first Harley was a 1960 FLH that I chopped in 1973. It was a nice chick magnet around my neighborhood. Had a lot of fun times back then.
    Bill

Last edited by Wiseman; 2 Weeks Ago at 6:22 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good gravy, another one for the reference books right there ^^^

Share This