CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Smartphone Speedometer

I have an iPhone as do so many people these days. (androids included) I use it for so many things including helping me when I'm lost out on the bike, finding a good spot to eat, tracking my gas, etc. I found a pretty nice speedometer app that has a tripometer built in and it can be run either horizontally or vertically.

I don't really want to run a regular speedometer, I'd love to get ride of that cable. Does anyone use their smartphone for this purpose when you are riding? There are adaptors I've seen that I could mix into the wiring so that I could charge my phone with the battery as I'm riding, so I think why not?

Anyone doing this now? Show me your set up if you are. I have a pretty good idea of how I would set it up but just curious if anyone else does this.

Get Adobe Flash player

I use a tank pouch thing from the MoCo for my ipod touch. Its just a little zip up pouch with magnets on the back and you just set it on your tank. Its actually pretty awesome. I have a speedo app on it too. I don't really use it but it could certainly work. Maybe for a fix it ticket?

Get Adobe Flash player

I've actually tried this, through an apple app., but thought it was kind of yuppy-ish. Having the phone mounted up and all. It sounds like a good cheap way to run a speedo though. Just can't get passed having the phone mounted up in front of you. A wise man here on the colt, had recommended a mini speed, for a bicycle. He said it worked fine and was small. Maybe give that a shot?

Get Adobe Flash player

a hand held gps with a mount for the bars would work too. i've checked mine and it's pretty damned acurate

Get Adobe Flash player

i own a bicycle shop and have just took my speedo off my sporty and am thinking about mounting a small wireless speedo. super easy not too expensive and not that bad looking cuz its super small. the speedo i like is the cat eye strada wireless small easy to use and lots of functions.

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-RD30.../dp/B003GNTCJI
    Last edited by smack021488; 03-03-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by smack021488 View Post
    i own a bicycle shop and have just took my speedo off my sporty and am thinking about mounting a small wireless speedo. super easy not too expensive and not that bad looking cuz its super small. the speedo i like is the cat eye strada wireless small easy to use and lots of functions.

http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-CC-RD30.../dp/B003GNTCJI
    how high will it go? i mean top speeds on a bicycle aren't that fast

Get Adobe Flash player

I plan on trying to do the same thing. I've been riding without a speedo for years but my new android phone has navigation and it would be nice to use that without having to pull over,look at a map and then try to remember where to go. I'll post up some pics when I figure out a way to mount it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TimB1640 View Post
    a hand held gps with a mount for the bars would work too. i've checked mine and it's pretty damned acurate
    never used a phone but have done this with the gps.I have one of these https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=30025 or one pretty close and have used it and it works great. records your route has a trip meter and everything.

Get Adobe Flash player

let me save you some time. the RF freqency used for most wireless model is not strong enough to over come the rf interference created by the ignition system. i tested out several wireless models last year and not one of them worked so i went with the sigma bc 1009

the wired model works fine after i modified it to fit. the only problem is that it does not have a back light.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used a speedo app with a bar mount for my phone. It was great knowing my range so I knew when to be ready for gas stops. It was also nice knowing my speed when it was just a cop and I on an empty road.

A bike computer would be sweet. You can tuck the small screen anywhere.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well unfortunately I saw this product on this one show...
    http://www.thecellbuckle.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TimB1640 View Post
    how high will it go? i mean top speeds on a bicycle aren't that fast
    they will go i know for a fact to over 50 maybe 60 but im sure it will do up to about 100. bicycle go downhill fast!

Get Adobe Flash player

I tried a wireless model- didn't work as the unit is too far from the sensor when you mount the display on the tree. The wired model works great even over 100mph. I came up with this as a way to see the unit at night. Its a license plate LED that shines on the speedo. Worked fantastic

Get Adobe Flash player

Last edited by BMG; 03-03-2012 at 1:53 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BMG View Post
    I sincerely hope this post of yours is DRIPPING in sarcasm because if it isn't you're in the wrong place!

Get Adobe Flash player

nice yeah that works... my fear was that the sensor was going to be too far away... but yeah the wired ones work good hu!

Get Adobe Flash player

The idea of the bike one is nice but really my goal is to always have a usable phone so this would kill 2 birds with one stone really if I could keep track of speed miles and charge it. There are some pretty effective gps systems as apps so that would be a plus to be able to sync up.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a speedo on my phone. There is a really strong bracket that holds you phone but I forget what it's called. When I'm just scooting around town I don't worry about it. But if I go on a longer trip where cops can get behind me, I always like to know how fast I'm goin.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is my TMobile myTouch 4G on a SlipGrip mount.

Get Adobe Flash player

sorttta OT but does chop cult have an app for android phones? and back on topic...I don't give a shit how yuppie I look...I gonna rig something like this up for GPS and charging when I do my wire harness...I road with a guy a few years back to RT 129 who had it on his scoot and it was fucking awesome!

Share This