Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sparticus
    • Dec 2009

Jumper leads to starter motor?

I've got a GS550, its running a small battery and kick only, the starter motor is still on the bike but not wired up.
    I've rebuilt the carbs and just for when i'm tuning it up could I wire a car battery upto the starter motor with jump leads? Don't fancy kicking the crap out of it when the mixture is so far out it would never fire in the first place.
    Positve battery to starter, negative battery to engine block, obviously disconnecting positive once the engine fires each time!
    Cheers
  • starwolf
    • Apr 2024

A car battery may have too many Amps, why not just wire the battery thats in the bike to the starter via a switch?
    If your concerned about draining the small battery you could use a battery charger.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
      • Dec 2011

+1 on that. I read you aren't supposed to jump a bike with a car battery. I've done it, but the battery was already thrashed. Use a charger to your MC battery. Hate to go causin yourself more problems. Also, I dunno how your enrichener set-up or air screw or whatever is set up but close off the air screw and then it's like 2 full turns open? That should be a good starting point. Then once it's running you want to turn the carbs about as rich as you can run them without trouble so you don't run too lean and burn up yer bike by runnin too hot.

Sorry I'm not all technical, I'm just thinkin back to how I used to have to start my Honda in the springtime after sitting.

Comment

• Pendulum
        • Jul 2011

I've got a GS550 as well. Here's what I'd do if I were you.

Run an 8AWG wire from the starter to a lawn mower relay from your local hardware store. Run another 8 gauge wire to the battery from the relay. Now get a switch and wire the relay up.

Or, if you want all the stock shit just PM me. My starter worked great when I took all my shit off so I know the switch and relay from my bike are still good. I'll part it with cheap.

Comment

• Sparticus
          • Dec 2009

I've got the original settings from before I striped the carbs so should be ok to get them going.
          Won't the starter only draw the current it needs from the bigger battery, the battery won't 'push' any current if the car isn't running? Don't really want to wire it all back up just for the day was thinking jumper cables would be fine to get it going.

Comment

• ShytHed
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Sparticus
            I've got the original settings from before I striped the carbs so should be ok to get them going.
            Won't the starter only draw the current it needs from the bigger battery, the battery won't 'push' any current if the car isn't running? Don't really want to wire it all back up just for the day was thinking jumper cables would be fine to get it going.
            Bah! People are over thinking this, I've got a ratty old riding lawn mower I've been starting this way for years with a battery charger since the relay went out. I haven't tore that piece of shit up yet and all those parts are older than me! put the ground some place solid and put the positive straight to the starter.

Worst case scenario, you tear up a starter you weren't going to use anyways... Oh, and when you're done getting it dialed in pull that boat anchor off. That's a lot of dead weight if you don't plan on using it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;