CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 88 sporty 1200 starter problems

Ok, so I'm brand fucking new to riding, working on, and essentially fixing bikes.. So bear with me.

Just bought my first bike, and like the title says, having starter problems.. When I hit the ignition switch, the starter relay just clicks.. I plan on going in to see if there's a grounded wire somewhere tomorrow, thought it could possibly be a corroded starter relay or maybe the solenoid.. Don't have a voltmeter so I can't see where it's dropping.

So yeah, anything helps.
    Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

K first off if you are new to all this that's cool. If you want to 'learn' to work on your bike get a manual. Not a cheap ass Clymer/Haynes deal. Get a factory manual for your year. You cannot really test your issue without a mulit meter. There are a few things you can do like bypass the the relay and see if the starter turns over. But if you wanna work on your bike get a book and a meter. All the test are in there and you can use the book to diagnose the problem. There is no shame in taking it to a good shop and paying to get it fixed. Alot of times that will save you money and get you back to what really matters and that is riding your bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCycleSalvage View Post
    K first off if you are new to all this that's cool. If you want to 'learn' to work on your bike get a manual. Not a cheap ass Clymer/Haynes deal. Get a factory manual for your year. You cannot really test your issue without a mulit meter. There are a few things you can do like bypass the the relay and see if the starter turns over. But if you wanna work on your bike get a book and a meter. All the test are in there and you can use the book to diagnose the problem. There is no shame in taking it to a good shop and paying to get it fixed. Alot of times that will save you money and get you back to what really matters and that is riding your bike.
    got the manual, borrowed a multi meter.. and now troubleshooting begins. thanks for the advice.. if i don't have any luck, i might end up folding and bringing it in.. but i'll be damned if i can't figure this shit out on my own!

Share This