Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mzavala2424
    • Nov 2011

Whats this crap in my tank?

I got a used tank shipped to me this weekend and when I took it out of the box it felt heavy and I could hear something rattling inside of it. when I took off the gas cap I saw a clump of yellow filmy crap. I tried to pull as much out as I could but its not easy stuff to grab and pull out it breaks really easily. There is also some thicker harder stuff in the tank as well. Im not sure what the hell it is, could it be a tank,liner that peeled away from the tank during shipment? I took some pictures let me know what you guys think it is or how to get it out of there.
    Attached Files
  • 65Econolinekid
    • Oct 2010

I'm no professional but I believe it is old tank liner, at least the more transparent/ whitish of the two. Had this same shit in a tank I ran some years back. Tried to get out as much as I could and just ran a petcock w/filter & inline filter to be safe at the time

Comment

• northlandak
      • Oct 2009

+1 - its tank liner . Seems that every gas tank I've had - has that falling out of it . The stuff is supposed to work great - but nobody seems to ever do a good job applying it .
      I do the same - if you can't get it cleaned out - run a petcock with a filter and an inline filter .

Comment

• Hubbard
        • Dec 2010

Pour it full of MEK and let it set for a few weeks. change the Mek and go again. Methyl Ethyl Ketone, get it at lowes or a paint supply store.

Comment

• ARBY
          • Apr 2024

Yep, it used to be tank liner. The brown chunks you could probably sell as high grade "super crack".
          Last edited by Guest; 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• roush360r
            • Sep 2011

deffinetly soak it and try and get as much of that out as you can. if small pieces start breaking off it could plug the petcock pretty easily.

Comment

• mzavala2424
              • Nov 2011

Thanks fro the tips. Right now I have it the tank halfway filled with gas and alot of fuel system cleaner and sitting at an angle so all the crap is submerged. I'll probably try to pick up some MEK this weekend and let it soak for awhile. Its just a pain in the ass holding the tank upside down to grab all the pieces out through the filler hole.

Comment

• gyro
                • Oct 2010

try to use a magnite to remove the stuff. I hear magnites work great for getting things out of tanks.

Yeah for sure try that mek stuff if its what I think it is it will eat that shit up then just flush it a few times real good and you should be good to go.

Comment

• rooster52478
                  • Aug 2010

Put some nuts and bolts or pieces of chain in there and shake it around. It will break up the big pieces and get more of it off of the inside. Then you can flush it out. I use the blower attachment on my Shop Vac to get the stuff out.

Comment

• gyro
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by rooster52478
                    Put some nuts and bolts or pieces of chain in there and shake it around. It will break up the big pieces and get more of it off of the inside. Then you can flush it out. I use the blower attachment on my Shop Vac to get the stuff out.
                    oh yeah thats the trick, then you put the magnite in there to get the nuts and bolts out.

Ok I felt bad as soon as i posted that. dont put a magnit in your tank Im just joking

Comment

• jonnyrotten1
                      • Nov 2011

looks like tank liner and some over cured resin. might wanna get the thing leak checked after getting it all out?? try some cork-tape(from lowes) real sticky and strong...wrap it around a stick or something.then you just reach it in there and all loose stuff sticks to it.then just pull it out the fillhole.
                      just a thought??

Comment

• ironhead86
                        • Feb 2011

Or cut the bottom off clean it make sure it isn't rusted through and then re weld it. Personally I will never be that partial to paint or a tank..

Comment

• bigdaddy
                          • Nov 2009

I used a bunch of nuts on my RD tank. it worked great.

Comment

• armand
                            • Jan 2012

I found the same thing in a tank I painted. It turned out to be some plastic bag that I had put in the filler to block the paint. It fell in the tank and I (obviously) forgot to get it out. I think you have a combo of old tank liner and a plastic bag. Or the remnants of some drug smuggling past.

Comment

• wahunterinrok
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by armand
                              I found the same thing in a tank I painted. It turned out to be some plastic bag that I had put in the filler to block the paint. It fell in the tank and I (obviously) forgot to get it out. I think you have a combo of old tank liner and a plastic bag. Or the remnants of some drug smuggling past.
                              Maybe its the tank off the Captain America bike and its the rubber hose and those benjamins!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;