Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reeferman
    • Feb 2011

moving to america

the wife and i have been thinking of moving to the u.s . we currently live on the east coast of canada but would like a warmer climate better for motorcycling and hopefully living. we are young and have 2 kids and some skill, she is a barista and i am a mechanic, i guess what im wondering is if there are jobs and if houses are expensive and shit in the warmer areas of america like california, new mexico , arizona that area and what its like living there. sorry this is kinda poorly writting im totally fucking baked . but this isnt a pipe dream. oh yeah and wat is the marijuana situation?? i know its decriminalized in cali but do yo need a medical card or shit? any way thanks everyone
  • rus
    • Aug 2009

i wouldn't exactly call a 'barista' a trade.

Comment

• Hooligan80
      • Jul 2010

Your best bet is to stay in Canada for now. Job market out here in California sucks, and so does the housing market since the economy is in the toilet.

Comment

• Hooligan80
        • Jul 2010

Oh, as for the marijuana situation, it's not totally decriminalized and yes, you do] need a medical card, but the government is cracking down on that too.

Comment

• Carman34L
          • Apr 2011

I would look at Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, or Arizona. California is far to crazy for me anyways to ever consider living there. If I were to move to any other state it would be one of those four. I would probably end up in the northern parts of Arizona. I love the Jerome area. Pretty much Heaven on Earth. And you can get away with about anything out there, and land is cheap.

Comment

• CRFyou
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by rus
            i wouldn't exactly call a 'barista' a trade.
            Do they have a Univeristy Starbucks Quebec?

That's my alma mater. USQ bitches!

Comment

• Skyhigh88
              • Oct 2010

I'd check Gary Indiana, beautiful this time of yr....

Dont you have free medical insurance up there? Like dude said may wanna stay up there for mean time...least until all is stable with work down here...it is a buyers market though

Comment

• GummoYuckmouth
                • Jan 2011

Niel Diamond

If you have money already go for it. You can get houses dirt cheap right now. As for work... maybe try to line something up before moving.

And on the Bud thing. Getting a card takes like 5 minutes and your good. Even if you don't have a card in California no one really gives a shit.

Why would you want to leave Canada? The people are all so nice there.

Comment

• Ember
                  • May 2010

Oregon and New Mexico are both med states. There are plenty of areas in Oregon which are much warmer/dryer than the coastal areas. Can get some cheap land there, too. Especially in rural areas.
                  New Mexico has its nice areas as well, but I personally hate the desert. My wife is from New Mexico (Carlsbad) and it has some nice areas, but the weather can get pretty shitty quickly. A lot of thunder/lightning storms and bad wind. Not to mention they do get tornadoes every so often.

I am moving to the Oregon coast. Plenty of water, food etc. I am looking to be self sustainable. Gun laws are lax in Oregon and so are the medical marijuana laws. You will need a card to be legal. Legally it is a piece of paper, not a card. It is a recommendation prescribed by a doctor. Word of advice-Do NOT cross state lines with cannabis, even if you have a card. That is a Federal offense and they will do anything in their power to bend you over on that one.

Being from southern California. I would not recommend living here. There are no jobs. The housing market still sucks, and many homes/property are still over priced. The banks are sitting on homes instead of letting them go. The weather is nice, but not enough to keep me here. The taxes and laws/regulations here are bull shit. You can't even get a decent gun here legally.

Arizona- I don't know much about the state. I have been there many times, and it is a desert, haha. About all I can say. Oh, and they must filter their tap water with chicken wire because it tastes like shit.

Comment

• Allen
                    • Apr 2024

Unless you are independently wealthy, So Cal will be more of a pain in your ass, than television would lead you to believe. And, if you are independently wealthy, you'd only visit.

Comment

• reeferman
                      • Feb 2011

cool thanks for the info. we want to leave canada because its going to shit up here. they are going crazy with laws to control us.

Comment

• dazegoneby
                        • Apr 2024

All I can say ,,",WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE'"it is a place where you gotta pay uncle sam ,,,but not as bad as some places,not as good as others
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2012, 7:58 PM.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by reeferman
                          cool thanks for the info. we want to leave canada because its going to shit up here. they are going crazy with laws to control us.
                          I'm not claiming to know all about Canada or ALL of the US but it's a good thing you asked. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....no pun intended.

I think you'd be surprised how the US isn't like TV. Jobs are real hard to come by. Yer Ol'Lady would probably have a better chance at getting a job than you sadly. And a Barista in America most likely will not have health insurance. With kids, you NEED that stuff man. Unless you wanna just rack up tens of thousands of dollars of debt in medical bills. Or get a tangled up in our welfare system of medicare-medicaid, medical card, social services, link/foodstamps, social security, or God forbid our corrections/legal system.

Not to bum you out dude, but if you and yours are well taken care of and somewhat comfortable up north....don't go messin up a good thing. It's not easy living down here, just different. If you wanna enjoy our weather then take a vacation down here.

Comment

• cros36
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by reeferman
                            what kind of lows are they enforcing on you that are so bad?

the one thing that i have to say is you better have a job lined up somehow. a job with health insurance. a job with good health insurance.

two months ago my wife went to the hospital for chest pain. she was in there for 3 day. so far the total is over $21,000.00, with new bills from different parts of the hospital still coming in. that is not a typo. 21 grand because my wife thought that she was fucking dying. pieces of shit. as you can tell im a little bitter about the fact that basic human needs like staying alive is a fucking gold mine for some people.

anyways, good luck on your endeavors.

Comment

• billdozer
                              • Apr 2024

Consider Baja or the Ozarks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;