CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 02 Sporty Wiring

So, I really had good intentions of starting into the wiring harness this afternoon in order to get rid of the handlebar switches( deleting the kill, moving the turn switch and horn) and add a run turn brake module in to the mix. I spent a little while facking around with labeling wires and stuff but even with a laminated diagram I realized that my brain does not function well in regards to automotive wiring.

If there's anyone out there who wouldn't mind lending a hand for either trade of goods or straight up $$ let me know because right now I am at a standstill. Or if anyone can suggest a good shop that's reasonable to do it in the Sun Diego area please let me know.

Get Adobe Flash player

this is actually pretty straight forward, especially since you're trying to keep most the stuff, you just want to move it.
    its as simple as following the wires and relocating them.
    what are you having problems with?

Get Adobe Flash player

On the kill switch, do I just wire the blk/wht to the grey to keep the circuit closed ( not sure if the kill opens or closes that circuit)

I bought a momentary push button to use as a starter so I'm assuming the red/ blk and black are just wired to either side of that switch.

Do I keep the bank angle as is or wire the lt. grn/gry to the grey.

I have switched over to a Hella 500 with no Hi/Low. Since there are 3 wires for a stock light which do I use?

Get Adobe Flash player

bank angle is up to you. you can keep it if you, just make sure its mounted in an upright position. if not, clip the wires and splice two of the (i think) three together. I'm not sure which but if you google it you'll find out.

i don't have my diagram in front of me, so i don't want to give you false answers for any of these, but the stuff you're dealing with is super easy. a google search or searching on xlforums will give you all your answers in just a few minutes. this is definitely not something you need a shop to do. 15 minutes of searching online will give you the answers.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll try and work into it this week.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've made a good amount of progress, albeit through long nights this week and a lot of roadblocks traveling with work but I seem to have stumbled upon a bit of a problem. Maybe someone can figure this out. I added a run/turn/brake trailer module in but I've tried about every wiring scheme I could think of and the blinkers don't blink, they're just steady on(front and rear). Here's the trailer module set up:

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Get Adobe Flash player

is that in place of the stock flasher relay?
    does the brake light work as it should?
    what are you using for bulbs? do you need a load equalizer?

Get Adobe Flash player

All the lights are standard bulbs, not LEDs. I originally had the little arrows in the back and black bullets up front. I left the turn signal module in the line up. I added the brake module in line after the stock Harley connector, in the first photo you can see the black connector right above the Turn Cancel unit. I added a couple of wiring diagram photos too. I know it's hard to tell colors from the photo of the wiring connection I made to the module, but here they are (stock connecting to module):

R Turn Brown---> Green
    Brake Red/Yellow-->Red
    L Turn Purple---> Yellow
    Tail Blue----> Brown
    Grnd Black---> White

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know how important this little thought is, but right now the high beam indicator light is illuminated. By eliminating the stock controls, and thereby eliminating the headlight dimmer have I somehow managed to make this all high all the time? Would it be easier to remove the stock signal cancel module and completely re-wire the headlight and turns, and throw in a set of turn flashers? Just turn the left/right indicators on off myself?

Get Adobe Flash player

I took the trailer module out and hooked everything in the back end up according to the wiring diagram. Now my turn signals come on when I switch to that side only the stay solid, no blinking.... When I hook the third wire up to the brake wire and jump the brake switch, the extra filament comes on. WTF? Why won't these damn blinkers blink?!?!?

Get Adobe Flash player

blinker solutions.

flasher relay is shot.
    bulbs may be drawing too little power. even if they're not LED's, they could be less draw than the stock bulbs (if thats not what you're using). if you're using all stock bulbs, then i don't know. did you wire the fronts to work as running lights in addition to blinkers? if you did, did you do it right? if you didn't, did you do it wrong?
    blinkers are finicky. they have to be wired exactly right or they won't work.

headlight: you probably wired it to the high beam only position

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, all in all I'm not too worried about the headlight situation.

All the indicators are the same ones I had on before. I had the small arrows in the back wired in a 2-wire config which previously acted like running/indicate( crap, maybe they only indicated and weren't on unless flashing)

The others up front were hooked up straight stock to the wiring harness using all three wires and I know for a fact they were running/indicating. Today I'll go back out and see if I hook up the old front indicators to the front and rear to the rear if it changes anything at all.

I'm really only keeping all these stupid lights on to appease the law. I'm down here in San Dog and I've never been harassed but I know a good amount of guys who get hassled all the time for stupid stuff( yeah, I know, law is law).

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Some progress

So, i went and disconnected the trailer adapter and hooked up a stock Harley indicator front and rear on the right side and wouldn't you know it, they flash. It must have not had enough load to get the flasher to start. I remember those little arrows having 3 wires so I unwound the e-tape back all the way and found the third wire. Tried it in place of the stock Harley light up front and it works too.

I wish I could figure out how to jimmy this trailer adapter in but it seems like it junks up the load on the system and causes it to trip out. Kinda bent that to get run/turn/brake I'm gonna have to shell out 60 plus dollars to the dealer for a plug in module.

Get Adobe Flash player

For anyone who is interested here is what I found while trying to google just the standard schematic for the trailer adapter. I'm gonna try this when I get home from work today, see if this cures my wiring woes

Photobucket

Get Adobe Flash player

It works!!!! Fi-na-ly! Tomorrow fluids go in and we'll see if I f'ed anything up while bolting engine pieces back together.....

Share This