Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulstanleyiv
    • Dec 2011

79 kz650 jetting help

I have a 79 kz 650. I'm running four straight pipes with no air box and k&n air pods. Right now I have In size #20 pilot jets. And 102.5 main jets. And my valve needle clip is in the middle, 3rd position. The bike will idle just fine? But when I'm riding it, it doesn't want to fully go. Kinda sputtering? Spark plugs read I'm running lean, better but still lean. Today I'm going to put in a size up in pilot jets (22.5). If someone knows the proper jetting order....please, pretty please help!
  • WOMPY
    • Aug 2009

It's gonna take fiddling!!! For step by step directions check out kz650.info and go to maintenance and scroll down for bench syncing. It will get you there.
    Also on the forum we have a carb section where pilot and jet sizes are discussed endlessly.

Good Luck.......

Comment

• paulstanleyiv
      • Dec 2011

Yes it is

Comment

• wilkie
        • Jan 2012

You need 117.5 main jets in it.I had a Z650 with velocity stacks and it went like a bullit after i went up to these.

Comment

• CriminalKZ
          • Jul 2010

I'm runnin 120 mains, pods, stock pipes, on my kz550 but I have tk22 carbs, I doubt the 650's have tk22s.

Comment

• paulstanleyiv
            • Dec 2011

That's good info for the main jet. What size pilot jets ate you guys running? And a bike with an exhaust is gonna be jetted different than a bike with straight pipes.

Comment

• GhettoRoller
              • Nov 2011

I have a kz650 4-2 straight pipes open intake. and i live in missouri so a lil above sea level
              I run 17.5 idle jets and it starts fine
              My Main jets are probably a lil smaller than 120 ( had em drilled)
              And I havent touched my clip but it doesnt do so well on fuller throttle either

102's sound wayy lean, are they stock? If its starting fine you should be ok on the pilots.

Make sure you check for leaky carb boots too.

Comment

• Punkskalar
                • Jan 2010

Still running points?

If so, toss that shit in the trash. I spent a full year dialing in my carbs, redoing the points, new points, redoing the carbs, etc... to try and get mine running better. I even thought "Man, I really SUCK at this" and paid another well known shop to adjust the points and get the carbs right. No better. Bought new coils, new points (3x) and condensors, rewired the bike, etc... i was totally convinced my problem was carbs, but I could never get them dialed in.

Then, in a last effort to keep the bike, I decided to get a DynaS ignition for it, and ALL my woes went away immediately - I still have to get the carbs dialed in just right, but instantly the bike ran 100% better. That was after 3 points changes, and god knows how many times I adjusted them. The bike just never ran proper with them

Comment

• GhettoRoller
                  • Nov 2011

If youre still owrkin on it. I have open pipes and intake like i said and Im running the same pilot and main jets (17.5 and ~110 actually resp[ectively) but with the needle jet (big needle connected to plungers) as high as it will go and it runs and starts great. screams on the high way, good luck!

Comment

• Barrykz650
                    • Mar 2016

I have a kz650 just jetted and now I can't get idle down. No air leaks

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;