Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seancrosseyed
    • Aug 2010

'04 sporty chain conversion

I have an '04 1200R and I want to convert it to chain drive. I've seen the conversion kits out there but I want to attempt to save some $$ and piece it together myself.
    Does anyone know exactly what I'll need? sizes etc? I'm going to be running a Paughco '04 up rubber mount rigid frame, if that makes a difference.
  • MercuryMoto67
    • Mar 2011

I have the same year bike which I plan to chain also. I plan on going with a 48 tooth rear sprocket but not sure on the front yet. I think the rear sprocket either has to be dished or offset with spacers? I don't know. I haven't looked too far into it.

I'm very interested in this thread. I hope someone chimes in with some useful info.

Comment

• xl1200s
      • Jan 2011

its a bit of a trade secret for most people i guess that or they are just assholes.

3/8" dish rear no spacer but hone the centerof the sprocket to fit on the hub. do it at a machine shop. j&p sells the front sprocket for a five speed, then you need to make a spacer to recess into the oil seal 1/4" worked for me. the spacer... i cant give you specifics as i dont have them and dont feel like pulling mine apart to see. but i cut it out of the stock pulley.

tools i used:
      angle grinder
      output shaft socket(homemade)
      4" stone hone
      locktite

done. took about 1hr to do took about 1mnth @ 8hrs/day to get it all figured out.
      measure twice cut once. and go with stock gear or ull lose yer cruise.

Comment

• Tito
        • May 2010

Don't know about 04, but here's a how-to I put together when I did my 96. Has part numbers (for a 96) and also prices........

Seems a lot of talk and questions about this. Here is how I did this on my 96 Sportster 1200, but it should apply to most belt-drive evo Sportsters, with minor variations/part numbers. There are companies selling "kits" and such, but ordering the parts individually should save you some serious cash, and it will

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;