Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Detale
    • Jan 2012

NYC 33rs ???

Seriously NYC is supposed to be the best city in the world but it sucks for bikes in general. Between the shitty pot hole riddled roads, the cops persecution and the lack of quality shops. There is a big void here and it sucks. How many of you out there from New York City anyway? What do you think of the "scene" here as opposed to what I read about in other cities and drool for?
  • joeybaggo
    • Feb 2012

originally from just on the other side of the tappan zee bridge bike scene sucks i can hardly find anyone to ride with everyone has crotch rockets

Comment

• SingSing
      • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Detale
      Seriously NYC is supposed to be the best city in the world but it sucks for bikes in general. Between the shitty pot hole riddled roads, the cops persecution and the lack of quality shops. There is a big void here and it sucks. How many of you out there from New York City anyway? What do you think of the "scene" here as opposed to what I read about in other cities and drool for?
      Dude Im from NYC.da Bronx. Hit me up if u wanna hit some blacktop.

Comment

• felon
        • Oct 2011

the scene sucks in most places, nothing is like Cali. im in atlanta and its not bad but still sucks.

Comment

• petemcgill
          • Feb 2012

I live on the Island and grew up in Queens. Lot's of douche bags on baggers and fat boys, lot's of people that are completely confused by anything different. Every once in a while someone or something cool pops up.

Comment

• MIKE47
            • Aug 2009

You're kidding right? NYC area sucks for bike scene? Williamsburg/greenpoint has some of the hottest bikes and builders out there. Legendary builders like English Don, Indian Larry, Paul Cox, etc. Racing legend Hugh Mackie and the 6th street specials. The white knights do the east coasts best bike show (brooklyn invitational). The east coast gypsy run every summer for the last 5 years. Plenty of stuff around if you really look. The event section here is crammed with good stuff nearby. And there are plenty of good members here from the area.

2 weeks ago Walter from Kickstart did a Greasy Kulture Magazine party in Lodi and there was a great turn out. There were even guys riding in- in February!

By the way. This week here at our shop in NJ is an unfinished bike show and open house. 2nd year doing it. Last year nearly 80 people showed up to hang and check out 20+ bikes. This year we have over 30 coming and I'm sure more people. Look up the details in the event section under 47 Industries.

Comment

• MadRiverMoCo
              • Mar 2024

Originally posted by mike47
              you're kidding right? Nyc area sucks for bike scene? Williamsburg/greenpoint has some of the hottest bikes and builders out there. Legendary builders like english don, indian larry, paul cox, etc. Racing legend hugh mackie and the 6th street specials. The white knights do the east coasts best bike show (brooklyn invitational). The east coast gypsy run every summer for the last 5 years. Plenty of stuff around if you really look. The event section here is crammed with good stuff nearby. And there are plenty of good members here from the area.

2 weeks ago walter from kickstart did a greasy kulture magazine party in lodi and there was a great turn out. There were even guys riding in- in february!

By the way. This week here at our shop in nj is an unfinished bike show and open house. 2nd year doing it. Last year nearly 80 people showed up to hang and check out 20+ bikes. This year we have over 30 coming and i'm sure more people. Look up the details in the event section under 47 industries.
              amen!!!

Comment

• billdozer
                • Mar 2024

Comment

• Saucier
                  • Dec 2011

Bill, psyched you dropped the Matchless link! My old lady and a bunch of friends work there, ergo I spend way too much time drinking there. I wish they had more bike stuff/memorabilia though. If I ever see you there I'll get you a pint, or 7.

As far as the NYC bike scene goes, it definitely has its Legends. The brooklyn invitational is a killer time and the bikes there are so sexy you'll be tucking boner behind your waistband all weekend. There are always some cool magazine parties around that time also. A few dudes here with killer chops also, but not a quarter as many as say, cali.

-As far as the riding goes, NYC CAN EAT A BAG...ALL DAY! Everywhere (BK,Queens,Manhattan) is ridden with potholes, some of which will definitely throw you off if you don't avert them. Thank you Mayor Bloomberg!
                  -Half-blind cabbies and overly spiteful women on their cell phones are far from uncommon.
                  -Coming from where I am in BK, it takes at least 30-40 minutes to get to some decent-good riding, like the Hutch, Jackie Robinson, Jones Beach and this is hoping you don't have traffic when you get to these areas. I'm from Maine where the riding is great even when its cold. Lived in Boston for 8 years and it only took maybe 10 minutes to get to nice nice roads.
                  -Also, Garage space is ridiculously expensive if your proximal to manhattan by two miles (not sure about the Bronx). Just to store it, and this is without the use of tools, will run you over $100 easy a month for a space that, even if you had the tools and machinery, would be too small to work on. I've been dying to work on my new sporty after my last one got yanked in Boston, but have no space or the funds for one, so I've just been riding year round mostly stock with a few bolt-ons (threw some Zephyr bars on last week, love em).
                  -I don't mind the cold but I DEFINITELY prefer warm weather riding
                  -ITS FUGGIN SKETCHY. Whether it be wannabe thugs or drunken hipsters wanting to sit on a motorcycle. Theft and break-ins are quite common in my hood, as are spoilt drunk 20 somethings. (I am a drunk 20 something but I earned it)
                  -I love NYC and the only reason I would move is for better riding/working conditions.

Well it feels great to vent!
                  All this being said I'm looking for riding buds! ANYONE AND ANYTIME, I'm down. Hit me up with your contacts. I live in east williamsburg (i know i know) and i like to go fast.

PEACE

Comment

• Leiffireeater80
                    • Jan 2010

Yeah the roads are shit but there's a ton of people who ride. The lack of affordable garage space is a drag, but you makes things work. Swing by Matchless, No Name, The Shop and I'm sure you'll meet some people who are down to ride.

Comment

• SingSing
                      • Mar 2024

WillyB is a pretty decent place to hang out on any givien night. You can sit on your bike on bedford and ogle the hot hipster chicks with their tight jeans n pointy shoes wearing fedora sportin spineless asshole boyfriends biut aside from that there really isnt much to do,. Lotta posers hangin round though doin the whole "look-a me im a bad azz biker" thang....I kinda subscribe to the universe thing basically...that "real" dudes will somehow gravitate towards one another and find each other. The Law Of The Universe type thing...

Comment

• some1else
                        • Jun 2011

you need to make things happen on you're own.there are no boring places only boring people.personally just riding is cool enough for me.no fireworks going off,and no clowns doing cartwheels but Im happy anyhow.just depends on how you look at life.learn it and live it

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                          • Sep 2011

I'm in Greenpoint and been riding with a few close buddies here. Once you are out of the city, the surrounding areas for riding are amazing. Jersey, NY and Penn are all awesome. Echoing Mike at 47, there are plenty of awesome events around here. There was a dude that rode from VANCOUVER to come to the Gypsy Run this year.

Brooklyn Invitational, off the chain.

Once I get my bike up and running, you'll see me zippin around. I also work in Manhattan too so I'll blowing out some ear drums in the concrete canyons.

Comment

• Detale
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by MIKE47
                            You're kidding right? NYC area sucks for bike scene? Williamsburg/greenpoint has some of the hottest bikes and builders out there. Legendary builders like English Don, Indian Larry, Paul Cox, etc. Racing legend Hugh Mackie and the 6th street specials. The white knights do the east coasts best bike show (brooklyn invitational). The east coast gypsy run every summer for the last 5 years. Plenty of stuff around if you really look. The event section here is crammed with good stuff nearby. And there are plenty of good members here from the area.

2 weeks ago Walter from Kickstart did a Greasy Kulture Magazine party in Lodi and there was a great turn out. There were even guys riding in- in February!

By the way. This week here at our shop in NJ is an unfinished bike show and open house. 2nd year doing it. Last year nearly 80 people showed up to hang and check out 20+ bikes. This year we have over 30 coming and I'm sure more people. Look up the details in the event section under 47 Industries.
                            There are some good looking bikes in Williamsburg sure, a few decent builders true, the events however.... what did you mention 1 in NYC. Which I missed the invitational last yer and WILL NOT miss it again this year! The event section is not "crammed" with stuff, only a few really.

I did want to go to the greasy kulture thing but couldn't and I plan on coming to the/your unfinished show unless I have to work.

The east coast gypsy run I've never heard of and will look into it. Where do they ride?

In fairness maybe I'm suffering from the grass is greener effect or cabin fever, but I just feel like there should be more interest in the big apple. The crotch rockets are the majority out there theres no disputing that one, well that and a few wall street guys on their BMW's. But as far a good folks just riding and not being douche bags, I'm not seeing them.

Where do you suggest I look?

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Detale
                              There are some good looking bikes in Williamsburg sure, a few decent builders true, the events however.... what did you mention 1 in NYC. Which I missed the invitational last yer and WILL NOT miss it again this year! The event section is not "crammed" with stuff, only a few really.

I did want to go to the greasy kulture thing but couldn't and I plan on coming to the/your unfinished show unless I have to work.

The east coast gypsy run I've never heard of and will look into it. Where do they ride?

In fairness maybe I'm suffering from the grass is greener effect or cabin fever, but I just feel like there should be more interest in the big apple. The crotch rockets are the majority out there theres no disputing that one, well that and a few wall street guys on their BMW's. But as far a good folks just riding and not being douche bags, I'm not seeing them.

Where do you suggest I look?
                              Beggars now want to be choosers?

You have a reason you haven't gone to the events in this area that have been listed, but complain there aren't more. Yes this is NYC, but this aint the promise land. There just isnt the space to hold so many awesome events like Cali does, you know that.

The Gypsy Run is a great thing, check it out for sure. Last year we rode probably 500 miles in 3 days within New Jersey (the starting point), into New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Camped two nights, new friends, fun stories, good times.

Also, if you can't find riding buddies that you dont feel are worthy, why don't you just get on your bike and ride? Who cares if you're with the coolest bros ever. Your bike is what brings you joy right? There are gas stations along the way, get out there man, twist the throttle and fuck the rest.

Not trying to be a dick, just pointing out what I'm reading.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;