CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: NYC 33rs ???

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Mike where do they have flat track racing??
    Cuttybackville, NY.

Get Adobe Flash player

Detale - I think you hit it on the head, putting effort in also, not expecting it to come to you just because you live in NYC. You are not begging per se, was just meaning that you were complaining that there are events here but not as many as you want there to be. Moving on, just be proactive and keep up on the events happening on this website. Once you go to a few of those, you'll probably hear about more through new people you meet. Last year the Gypsy Run was sort of in Tandem with the BK Invitational, there were other smal events around that time, the Indian Larry Block Party was in late September I think, so once the riding season kicks back up, there will plenty to see and do.

My buddy Leif was telling me about a bike show in Jersey in June, so shit will be happening SOON man. Keep riding though and you'll come across the kinds of people you want to ride with. They do exist

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE47 View Post
    Cuttybackville, NY.
    And the ride to and from is fucking KILLER. The country road that this track is on is by far one of my favorites. Little to no cars, smooth, slightly winding, nearly perfect man.

billdozer

Man I love riding the city. It's like combat on massive bridges and crazy assholes everywhere. Love it! But I don't have to do it everyday so that's probably why. Seems like the palisades and all kinds of nice country riding is pretty easy to get to once out of the city. Have a beer at the matchless and go on gypsy run, it'll change things for you. There are shit tons of good folks out there, they're just hard to find with all the other jackoffs blocking the view.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by billdozer View Post
    Go on the gypsy run, it'll change things for you...
    This happened to me last year. I went to the Gypsy Run and it really changed my life. Sounds corny yes, but it happened. I went to it alone, not knowing a single person there and left knowing some super rad people. I got the pleasure of riding with Billdozer and his friends as well as some really nice guys from Jersey. I showed up on a Honda Ascot, probably the nerdiest bike there (it was all I had, but I rode the shit out of it) and honestly felt really out of place, but I went. It was mainly me who felt out of place because I was riding that bike, but no one cared and in the end we all had a great time.

Being around those bikes really got me amped up and probably 2 weeks later I bought myself a Sportster. Not because I wanted to fit in, but because I fell in love with them. Everyone starts somewhere, and this was it for me. Hook line a sinker. Since then I have tried to be as active in the community as possible. You just gotta get past your comfort zone sometimes and something amazing will come out of it. Go to that show at 47 Fab this weekend, meet some cool people and just let it happen.

Get Adobe Flash player

junkpile worthy thread

just sayin'

MadRiverMoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Flatironmike View Post
    junkpile worthy thread

just sayin'
    I love this man...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Flatironmike View Post
    junkpile worthy thread

just sayin'
    And you could meet the one and only Flatiron Mike!!!!

He's really only a jerk on the internet. He's the swellest guy in person

Bomber, When you were on the GR you did catch on that my blue chopper is a Honda Ascot didn't you? 2 EDRs, 4 Gypsy Runs, and a slew of other runs. The only time I get shit for my Honda is when I go to local bike night.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    This happened to me last year. I went to the Gypsy Run and it really changed my life. Sounds corny yes, but it happened. I went to it alone, not knowing a single person there and left knowing some super rad people. I got the pleasure of riding with Billdozer and his friends as well as some really nice guys from Jersey. I showed up on a Honda Ascot, probably the nerdiest bike there (it was all I had, but I rode the shit out of it) and honestly felt really out of place, but I went. It was mainly me who felt out of place because I was riding that bike, but no one cared and in the end we all had a great time.

Being around those bikes really got me amped up and probably 2 weeks later I bought myself a Sportster. Not because I wanted to fit in, but because I fell in love with them. Everyone starts somewhere, and this was it for me. Hook line a sinker. Since then I have tried to be as active in the community as possible. You just gotta get past your comfort zone sometimes and something amazing will come out of it. Go to that show at 47 Fab this weekend, meet some cool people and just let it happen.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. last GR was my first too. Didn't know anybody either. You'll end up leaving with friends though. In fact, i met mike 47 on that run and now my Yamaha is at his shop getting work done to the frame. I'll be there this Saturday for the show. You should def make it if you can.

Get Adobe Flash player

And you could meet the one and only Flatiron Mike!!!!

He's really only a jerk on the internet. He's the swellest guy in person

Bomber, When you were on the GR you did catch on that my blue chopper is a Honda Ascot didn't you? 2 EDRs, 4 Gypsy Runs, and a slew of other runs. The only time I get shit for my Honda is when I go to local bike night.
    Yup, I noticed you had the single cylinder. Mine was the completely stock red v-twin version. I took a few photos of that bike when it was parked in front of Cool Beans at the start.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm "new" to the area, just coming from SoCal and realized that there is a distinct difference to the intensity of events in NY, but the comradarie seems the same. In the past few months of being here I have met some kickass people who have been willing to give plenty of local info to this NY noob and get me on the road. I'm in Cornwall (up by West Point) if anyone is heading through the area or if you're looking for a turnaround point to drink a beer and head back to the City; definitely looking forward to meeting new heads at the GR this year, though.

I think the right coast definitely needs its "Douche LaRouche" "Sinners" "Deathtraps" etc to bond all these local events together and inspire those new kids who look to CA for "the cool guys"...

Get Adobe Flash player

Keeping in the NYC theme. I'm looking for a garage space for my bike. Greenpoint area. Let me know if you know of something.

Get Adobe Flash player

I recently went for an outdoor public storage spot. I think it was like $40 a month if you paid for 6 months. It's big enough for 2 bikes in there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 33ers

Quote Originally Posted by Huero View Post
    I'm "new" to the area, just coming from SoCal and realized that there is a distinct difference to the intensity of events in NY, but the comradarie seems the same. In the past few months of being here I have met some kickass people who have been willing to give plenty of local info to this NY noob and get me on the road. I'm in Cornwall (up by West Point) if anyone is heading through the area or if you're looking for a turnaround point to drink a beer and head back to the City; definitely looking forward to meeting new heads at the GR this year, though.

I think the right coast definitely needs its "Douche LaRouche" "Sinners" "Deathtraps" etc to bond all these local events together and inspire those new kids who look to CA for "the cool guys"...
    Hey Huero the cool thing about where you are much like where I am in N.E.PA NY/NJ/Pa all run into each other and it is pretty decent riding and some good folks too. We could use a bit of that west coast comradarie 33ers are looking better and better!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Upcoming event!!

May 20th. Ride to Skate at FDR skate park in Philidelphia.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks cool, I'll make it a point to make that one. I cant seem to find an address for FDR skate park though?

Get Adobe Flash player

Upcoming event!!

May 20th. Ride to Skate at FDR skate park in Philidelphia.
    Thanks Mike, I'm definitely putting in for some vacation time for this!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Looks cool, I'll make it a point to make that one. I cant seem to find an address for FDR skate park though?
    FDR PARK. Franklin Delanoe Roosevelt Park. Right near the stadiums. The park is right under The Rt.95 overpass.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm there! Bummed I had to miss this last year.

Get Adobe Flash player

I live in Manhattan and have for the past 17 years. (originally from Tucson, AZ.) Yes, actually IN Manhattan. Fuhgeddaboudit!

Sure NYC doesn't have the best road surfaces (some would argue that the roads are like riding on the surface of the moon), and you need to watch out for buses, taxis, bicycles, pedestrians etc. What results is riders adapt and build bikes that make sense here. Larry, for example built bikes with very tight forks so he could carve through the insanity.

I keep my bikes in a motorcycle only parking garage here in the Lower East Side. There are dozens of them all over the city now. PM me if you have trouble locating one....or buy a REALLY good lock and expect to pick your bike up after its been knocked over 100 times.

Like Bill said, Bar Matchless is a great place to start as far as hangouts. They do a bike night every monday and show the Motogp races on a huge screen.

As for riding, you can hop over the GWB and take the Palisades expressway up to Bear Mountain. The ride will take you an hour and a half (each way roughly) and you'll be in the mountains. Great if you're with a girl who doesn't want to be on the back of a bike all day. (..or you don't want to be on the back of your girl's bike all day. In all fairness, I actually know a few really cute girls who ride.) Coney Island is a short run down the Belt Pkwy and youll be riding along the water the whole way. Or take the Verrazano bridge to Staten Island and hit up Royal Crown Bakery. I shit you not the sandwiches rule!

There's also a crew of us (Vander, FIM, ShovelED, McFonz, myself, and a bunch of other ppl on the forum) who live in the area and put hundreds of miles on our bikes. Hell, the weather has been so nice this winter that none of us have really stopped riding this year. So, if you don't ride like a total douche and wanna come, just ask.

If you're interested in flat track racing, ride up to any of the local tracks outside the city and see what its all about.. Feeling brave? Then come dirt track racing with myself and the Sixth Specials crew. (as Mike 47 already mentioned). You can pick up a cheap Honda 125 for under a grand and learn the skills correctly. I have a thread called Flat Track 101 in the Greatest Hits section of this forum that can get you started. There are tracks al over New York and your life will be forever changed.
    Last edited by GreaserMike; 02-28-2012 at 2:50 PM.

Share This