2012 Bonneville Speed Week Triumph LSR build!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NITRO
    • Jul 2009

2012 Bonneville Speed Week Triumph LSR build!

I actually started this build awhile ago but just haven't gotten to making a build thread yet, so I will start now! I sketched out a frame design which I sent to our friend David Bird, he was able to render it as a CAD design and use a modified full frame jig to build the frame for me. This frame has a 4" rear stretch, a 4" gooseneck, and the neck is 6" lower than a stock Triumph. The whole plan was to bring my body as low to the ground as possible and stretch me out to make as small a hole in the air as possible, I am pushing very hard on the aerodynamics this year to really try and up my speeds. Here are some photos from the frame build
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_fabrication_1
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_fabrication_2
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_fabrication_3
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_fabrication_4
    The fit and finish of this frame is incredible, I can't thank David Bird enough!
  • NITRO
    • Jul 2009

The first thing I did when I received the frame was mount up the Ceriani front end and the front 19" and rear 18" wheels from last race season.
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_mock_up_2
    The first issue I found, which I expected, was that I needed to run a smaller front wheel as well as modifying the front forks. I did some research and got the ball rolling on that, deciding to run a 17" Akront wheel with a Goodyear Front Runner drag tire. Changing the wheel out set the frame level and gave me enough room for the suspension necessary,
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_mock_up_6
    I also dropped in a full lump motor and set of exhaust pipes as well as a 7Metal West aluminum fender so I could stand back and really get a good idea of the whole stance of the bike.
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_mock_up_5
    It definitely has a drag bike as drawn by Ed Big Daddy Roth feel to me!
    kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_mock_up_7

Comment

• NITRO
      • Jul 2009

I mounted the front of the fender (struts to be finished later as they have to incorporate mounts for the tail section as well)
      kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_frame_mock_up_3
      I used another of our aluminum seat pans and heavily cut and ground it down to make a small hard-mounted seat that sits down between the rails and allows for me to easily slide back out of the saddle onto the fender for my racing position.
      kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_seat_5
      I drilled the frame crossmember and welded in two bungs to mount the rear of the seat.
      kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_seat_4
      For the front of the seat I used a Biltwell stainless seat pivot and cut it down just a little bit! The seat doesn't need to pivot at all but it was just a nice way to mount it, and I do love these pivots.
      kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_seat_1

Comment

• SportsterBob
        • Aug 2009

this thing already is amazing!
        I wonder how fast this thing will go ......
        I wish I had a filled warehouse with all the parts I need to work have fun buddy!!

let us see the power plant of this beast!!

Comment

• Pete
          • Sep 2009

Nice. Headin' in the right direction. How much travel will you have on those forks? 2"?

Comment

• NITRO
            • Jul 2009

Pete, when it's done around 2" yes but this will be set up pretty stiff. It is a straight line bike and on a graded surface so it doesn't need a ton. Bob, I will show some motor pics later but I am not divulging too much about what is going on in the motor!

Comment

• Hoofhearted
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by NITRO
              I am not divulging too much about what is going on in the motor!

Curious minds eagerly await!!!

You don't need a lot (if any) suspension at Bonneville. My sidecar is rigid all round.

Comment

• NITRO
                • Jul 2009

You don't need a lot (if any) suspension at Bonneville. My sidecar is rigid all round.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it will take out a bit of vibration, but that's about it!

Comment

• Hoofhearted
                  • Dec 2009

Bonneville is very smooth. You might encounter the odd little bump but nothing much. El Mirage has a few bumps and dips (depending on how much rain it go over the winter). The suspension you have is more than enough.

Comment

• NITRO
                    • Jul 2009

kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_ bike_rear_controls_1 by lowbrowcustoms, on Flickr
                    Here are just a few pictures of the Tarozzi rearsets I mounted. They are the same ones I used the first two years and worked so well and look great so I used them again for this build.

kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_ bike_rear_controls_2 by lowbrowcustoms, on Flickr
                    I mounted these by drilling and tapping the axle plates (I did change the mounting hardware for the rearsets out from metric to standard Grade 8 bolts) and I used a threaded 1/2" bung as a spacer. These are tacked to the axlep lates and will be fully welded to really make the mounts beefy.

kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_ bike_rear_controls_3 by lowbrowcustoms, on Flickr

Comment

• choptop
                      • Dec 2010

nice build man, see u on the salt! i should have my 68 triumph out there and me and 2 of my buddy are building hot rods to play on the salt with too.

Comment

• NITRO
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by choptop
                        nice build man, see u on the salt! i should have my 68 triumph out there and me and 2 of my buddy are building hot rods to play on the salt with too.
                        Right on man, are you running your bike there?

Comment

• choptop
                          • Dec 2010

no, we probably arnt going to run anything this year, the last few years we have helped build cars for people to race, but it would be cool to set up a bike like u are. but for this year we are just putting together toys. we are having our own little build off so to speak lol, im building a 1928 chevy modified roadster, one of my buddys are building a 1927 Tall T coupe, and the other one is putting together a fiberglass tbucket that i have had for years, i just found out a couple more in our crew might be building rods too, a 1932 ford PU, and a gasser style VW with a small block up front. it should get interesting lol
                          i cant wait to see ur build done

Comment

• NITRO
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by choptop
                            no, we probably arnt going to run anything this year, the last few years we have helped build cars for people to race, but it would be cool to set up a bike like u are. but for this year we are just putting together toys. we are having our own little build off so to speak lol, im building a 1928 chevy modified roadster, one of my buddys are building a 1927 Tall T coupe, and the other one is putting together a fiberglass tbucket that i have had for years, i just found out a couple more in our crew might be building rods too, a 1932 ford PU, and a gasser style VW with a small block up front. it should get interesting lol
                            i cant wait to see ur build done
                            That's cool, it is still an amazing week to visit! I have a bunch more work done, I just have to do another post, I waited too long to start a build thread now I have hundreds of pictures to sort through!

Comment

• NITRO
                              • Jul 2009

I am still playing catch up on this build thread but here are some shots of some parts I have already fabbed up, see what ya guys think.
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_wheel_spacers_steering_damper
                              Here is the required steering stabilizer, this year I used one with higher damping capabilities, and a heim joint to allow for more adjustability.
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_rear_struts_1
                              I mounted my rearsets right off the axle plates in front of the axle(the axle is in a full forward position for mock up) and also tapped a hole above the axle for the rear fender struts.
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_rear_brake_controls_1
                              Here is a shot with the completed brake stay, and rear brake control and linkage. The rearsets are adjustable Tarrozi universal reasets(a bit modified) and all the heim joints, hardware, and rod is all stainless steel. It holds up well in the salt and this years setup has a ton of adjustment.
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_wheel_spacers_1
                              I also spent a little time on the lather turning down front wheel spacers for the new front wheel. No brakes.
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_wheel_spacers_2
                              While I had Tyler there to help me we heated some stainless rod up and I bent it to match the wire form I made for my rear fender struts.
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_rear_struts_4
                              Now I can finish mounting that fender tomorrow, strip this down and start finish welding a lot of the mounts and work on sleeving the frame for my oil tank!
                              kyle_malinky_1967_bonneville_2012_salt_flats_race_  bike_rear_struts_5

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;