CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: chopper school

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default chopper school

So i came across this ad for a "chopper school" its a 6 day thing somthing like 2 days engine building and 3 days chassis and wireing or vise-versa along with a bunch of other areas of interest figured it would fill in the blanks and help me be able to learn some new things
    Has anyone heard about or attended somthing like this before?

Get Adobe Flash player

Chopper school is open for session every day in a garage near you!

Get Adobe Flash player

"Chopper School" is a joke. You learn by doing and by spending time in the shop with a hammer and a wrench in your hands. Such a school is just a moneymaking scheme.

Get Adobe Flash player

chopper building isnt something you go to school for, IMO
    especially something thats only a week long

Get Adobe Flash player

I dunno, you could probably learn how to assemble an OCC chopper like jr & sr in 6 days. all you have to do is bolt them together anyways.

Get Adobe Flash player

Engine building in 2 days. This class is def legit.

It took me 1 day because I didnt take smoke breaks.

Get Adobe Flash player

your best bet would be to buy a few DIY books for what you want to learn (i.e. welding,painting,wiring, etc.) and practice until you're at the point where you're comfortable

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by lvvato View Post
    Chopper school is open for session every day in a garage near you!
    agreed.mchopper school

Get Adobe Flash player

yeah there is this idiot that does this here in Minneapolis. Waste of money. Basically charges $800 for a week. And they build a bike in that time. Fucking Morons. Its a way of this guy building a bike, and you paying for it.

http://www.choppercollege2020.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

You won't learn much in a week. You can learn more reading the tech here and using youtube. You have questions? Ask, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks around here. Now I'm not saying this "school" won't teach you anything or it's just a scam, they may be some of the most talented builders around, maybe they were smart enough to capitalize on what they know.
    Either way save your scratch for parts and tools. Read up, ask around and you'll learn what you need to know.

Get Adobe Flash player

http://chopperhandbook.com/

Not exactly a school but this site has a ton of information that I have found very helpful. It has a great article on rake and trail, after reading it I am finally starting to get a grasp on it for the first time. He also has step by step instructions on how to build a frame jig, tubing notcher and pipe bender.
    Enjoy

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Carman34L View Post
    yeah there is this idiot that does this here in Minneapolis. Waste of money. Basically charges $800 for a week. And they build a bike in that time. Fucking Morons. Its a way of this guy building a bike, and you paying for it.

http://www.choppercollege2020.com/
    Wow!!!! Chopper college looks pretty awesome.. I might have to enroll for the next class...

Get Adobe Flash player

only way to learn is hands on - blood sweat and alot of cussing.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think it would be cool to hook up with your local high school and do a chopper build, like Baas does, only in your own garage.
    find some jap bike and let 6 kids build the bike, then raffle it off to fund the next build.

for grown ups, you just have to get your hands dirty. If you cant get your hands dirty, then I guess its bolt on stuff from the dealership.
    my biggest learning curve has been acquiring the tools.

Get Adobe Flash player

I mean it sounds like a cool idea and if it wasnt 800 bucks it might be nice depending on who ran it. I know BREW does a frame buiding class for bicicles but he teaches you how to tig, jig up a frame and then you build and powdercoat your own frame that you get to keep...

I would like to put on a chopper school... any builders near Hickory NC come over, bring your tools and teach me how to build a chopper... No charge!

Get Adobe Flash player

your all getting the wrong idea here i know how to do much of the work already this class im looking at will kinda go over the finer points fill in the blanks so to speak
    it is a hands on class and not a bolt together thing

Get Adobe Flash player

sounds like i waste of time and money...unlike when i was growing up working on shit now you have the internet and it is a wealth of knowledge at your finger tip's. it's cool cause you don't even have to be the one to ask the stupid question just type it into google and BAM it's there, yup someone already asked that same stupid question. youtube has tons of videos too and guess what, there free! u just gotta learn to sift threw the bullshit and find the answers you looking for...

they do the same kinda schools for metal fab work but it's more of a seminar you pay a couple hundred bucks to go watch a guy build a gas tank...same thing waste of money

just my opinion

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by joeybaggo View Post
    your all getting the wrong idea here i know how to do much of the work already this class im looking at will kinda go over the finer points fill in the blanks so to speak
    it is a hands on class and not a bolt together thing
    Well, stick around here. Read the Greatest Hits.Check out the build threads. Then go out and get yer hands dirty.

Hit a roadblock? Stuck on something? Stumped?
    Go ahead and ask it here. There are a LOT of cats on here that have built some really great bikes. There are even a few professionals. If you have a question about final drive ratios, rake and trail, setting timing, engraving, seat building, how to do something without expensive tools, year specific questions, who makes a quality part, or how to mold a frame and lay down flake.........it's all on here. If not, just ask. People won't give you a bunch of crap if they can help you out and show off how they are smart. Yer just catchin some crap for this question cuz it's like the opposite of how most of us on CC have learned. That's all.

Really, I just see this as more of a class for some people to take for fun. My cousin and Grampa took a blacksmithing class together. It was run by a blacksmith. He knew what he was doing but it's not like they're now gonna be master's of the craft and go on to be TV stars. Not saying that's what yer into bikes for but you get the picture right. You may learn a lot. Or it may be geared toward OCC fans who just wanna bolt a disassembled kit bike together and have a fun time while they learn that a softtail "Actually has shocks, but they are hidden underneath the motorcycle."

Just sayin, most of us would rather have the 800 dollars for a donor bike is all.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow, lotta hatin answers here, but consider this:

I wouldn't expect to bend metal as good as Ron Covel after taking one of his classes, but it sure wouldn't prevent me from doing it when I get the chance.

What I'm getting at is that it depends on who is giving the class, I'm sure you'll pick up some valuable info that you didn't know before depending on the teachers skill level.

Show me someone that thinks they know all there is to know about bike building and I'll show you a keyboard jockey full of mierda...

Get Adobe Flash player

this is more the attitude im taking towards it i learn by doing like everyone else here and dont think it can hurt ,seeing as i don't know anyone to teach me some skills, to go to a class which is hands on and limited to 5 people. no im not gonna be a pro bike builder and im not planning on it but i would like to get more in depth on certain areas before i try to read it on a forum and fuck up a 2000$ part for example. would people be as offended if i went to one of these MMI type trade school probably not, but i dont really see the difference

Share This