Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sweetpotato650
    • May 2010

How do you hide your wiring?

So as it states, how do you guys hide your wiring? I have a sportster sport 1200. I am installing minni switches on my handle bars to keep it looking clean up front. I will be putting a 2.4 gallon sporty tank on and moving it back towards the seat. So there will be open back bone exposed and I plan on relocating the ign switch and module. Just looking for some ideas on how you guys hide your wiring.

Tank will be set up similar to this:

Photo and bike cred http://www.hidemo.net/
  • turtlem1969
    • Sep 2010

run the wires thru the inside of the backbone.

Comment

• Spade115
      • May 2010

thats one crazy looking front tire. that thing los HUGE!!

Agreewith running it through the back bone

Comment

• sweetpotato650
        • May 2010

So just drill a hole in the bottom of the backbone or what? Wont this compromise the structure?

Comment

• currysurr
          • Aug 2009

Hide wires? fuck that. some of mine are wrapped in tape and others are just there for everyone to see.

Comment

• Saltytonk
            • Mar 2011

I did nt hide my wires .........I left em right on top of the trash can when I tore em all out.

Comment

• jackietuxedo
              • Feb 2010

I dont think it would hurt. I dont know how many wires you are running through the frame but my guess is the hole needed wouldnt big too big. Guys have been doing it for years.

Comment

• sweetpotato650
                • May 2010

Awesome, a little more simple than I thought. I shouldn't have much going up there, kill switch, headlight, and a toggle for signals so 5 wires I think?

Comment

• BIGHYDRO
                  • Feb 2012

lol... signals

Comment

• MikeLightnin
                    • Feb 2012

If you're dead-set on hiding them, I'd go with inside the backbone as others have mentioned.
                    However, personally, I'd just run them along the backbone as discreetly as possible. The reasoning in my head is preparing for the worst. If you're ever road-side and have to work on your bike, it's a lot easier. Then again, I'm a function over form kinda guy. Wiring is copper and can break at any time for a multitude of reasons. To each their own.

Comment

• Daverous
                      • Oct 2011

I did the backbone set up too. Still riding fine after 10k and a year. But if something ever goes wrong I'll hate my life. Hopefully I've wrecked it, totaled it, or sold it before any wiring goes bad. Tracking internal handle bar to internal backbone wiring might cause me to have a stroke.

Comment

• Detale
                        • Jan 2012

Drilling a hole in the backbone will affect the integrity but very minimally, how big a hole will you be cutting? Some people will weld a nut in there to give the hole some solidity and sometimes to mount a tank. Personally I don't see the nut having much of a difference structurally. Tons of guys do this so it's acceptably safe IMHO, but any holes in the frame are a potential risk. Let us know what you decide

Comment

• sweetpotato650
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by BIGHYDRO
                          lol... signals
                          Yes signals, didn't have them on my old bike. But would like to have them there just not to get hassled. I dont really see the wiring getting ruined from running it threw the backbone. I will heat shrink the group of wires going threw there and make sure there are no sharp burs and all should be good. Once I finish building my bars the wiring will start. Maybe after all I might not run them in the backbone if its a huge pain. Just wanted to hear your opinions.

Comment

• chief
                            • Nov 2010

running through the frame gives the cleanest look, it's worth the hassle.
                            i put in 3 extra wires, just in case.... if i have used up 2 of the extra wires i can use the third for pulling new wires in..

and to keep it extra clean i put all the connections in the headlight.

just be sure you have smooth holes and use some styrdy heatshrink where the cables exit the frame.

Comment

• jackietuxedo
                              • Feb 2010

If you ran them outside you could use those little stainless p looking clamps. Lets see the rest of that ironhead.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;