CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Hybrid View

Default Won't start when warm?

So yesterday I finally had a chance to ride my GS550 after the carb rebuild. Runs pretty good, but needs to be sync'd. However, I stopped for gas and it wouldn't start. I had to sit there for a 1/2 hour and wait for it too cool off. Once it was cool, I got it started on the 3rd or 4th kick. It never did this before the carb rebuild.

Maybe vapor locked..I would check floats, needle and seat. Did ya try switchin to reserve? Start @ the tank and work your way down...

check your coils

Could be the vent hole in the gas cap is blocked.If it does it again try lifting the cap to let the air flow and force the gas to move.Failling that if you have CV carbs with a vacuum tap it could be the tap.

I was thinking vapor lock. I'm leaning towards something fuel related because it wasn't doing this before I rebuilt the carbs. I gotta get this figured out pretty quick since it gets hotter than hell here in AZ, and a bike that doesn't start when hot is near worthless here in AZ.

I don't think it's the gas cap since it did it right after pumping gas into the tank.

It could be the coils, since they're cheap EMGO. They're almost brand new, though. Like less than 1000 miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    I was thinking vapor lock. I'm leaning towards something fuel related because it wasn't doing this before I rebuilt the carbs. I gotta get this figured out pretty quick since it gets hotter than hell here in AZ, and a bike that doesn't start when hot is near worthless here in AZ.

I don't think it's the gas cap since it did it right after pumping gas into the tank.

It could be the coils, since they're cheap EMGO. They're almost brand new, though. Like less than 1000 miles on them.
    How complete were the rebuild kits? What all did you replace? If there's gas in the bowl at the right level, should run. Lean condition could make the motor run hotter. Leading back to vapor locking.

Share This