Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

harley and indian rear chain length

How many links in a Harley 45 solo rear chain? How many links in a 71 FLH rear? And last but not least a !947 plunger frame chief rear chain? What the hell, how about a stock swing arm 67 xlch sportster? Thanks
  • flatman
    • Sep 2017

really, 40 hits and nobody knows? I tried google. nothing. Guess I shoulda asked a pertinent question like what color should I paint my bike?

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

The Chief shows as #530 X 120 links in my notes but I didn't note note sprocket sizes. The rest are the wrong brand for me.
      Dusty
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• flatman
        • Sep 2017

thanks dave, Found out it is 120 links for a Chief, but they say usually end up at 116 links. (depending on sprockets) Info says 102 for a Duo glide/ Still waiting and searching for the other answers

Comment

• DustyDave
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

For the 45 Hardly ask over at the S&S Vintage Tech Forum. Lots of 45 people there.
          Driving that train, high on cocaine
          Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
          Trouble ahead, trouble behind
          And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• 47str8leg
            • Sep 2014

Sorry I don't have An Indian ,45, or swingarm bikes.

Comment

• flatman
              • Sep 2017

stock sporty 73-79 106 links, 67-72 104 links Still looking for hd 45 solo and 71 flh Not sure what a rigid big twin would be? The reason I asked I found some chain and wanted to be sure if I bought any it would be long enough.

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                • Jul 2010

Well here's what I've always done: Just buy a 120 link chain and cut it to the length you need. That's mainly a result of my experience putting chains on non-stock choppers with various gearing and rigid frame dimensions that preclude relying on a stock chain length number. As it turns out, this forum is called 'Chopcult' not 'Stockcult'. Perhaps an explanation for the lack of guys with knowledge of the stock spec. numbers you're looking for.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

"really, 40 hits and nobody knows? I tried google. nothing. Guess I shoulda asked a pertinent question like what color should I paint my bike?"

Might me some relevant info here: http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/vi...hp?f=63&t=7877
                  '72 FLH; 102 links, '61 Dou; 102 links, '61 Pan; 100 links...all 530 size, "It's 530, for the last 90 years"

and here:
                  Specialized in vintage Harley Davidsons.
                  Below is a calculator applet where you can calculate enter front and rear pulley or sprocket sizes and belt or chain length, and which calculates the final drive ratio and (an approximation of the) center to center distance for the pulleys or sprockets. Below that, there some numbers are given for factory equipped shovelheads. http://www.mulliemotors.com/indexmot...ge=driveratios

and here:
                  1929 to 1934 45” twins used a rear sprocket that had between 30 and 36 teeth. Beginning in 1935, the small twins used a larger 41 tooth rear sprocket. Rear chain #2002-29, which is 55” in length, was used from 1929 to 1934 with the smaller rear sprockets. The 1935 Spare Parts book lists both Duckworth chain #2002-15, which is 63-3/4” in length, and Diamond chain #2002-15D as being used for the 45’s from 1935 to 1957. Rear chain #2002-29, which is listed as 55”, has 88 links, and rear chain #2002-15, which is listed as 63-3/4”, has 102 links. , http://www.vintagemotorcycleworks.com/chapter_6.htm

and here:
                  Motorcycle chain application PDF; HD primary from 1936-2006, and HD rear chain lengths from 1930-1986,
                  plus chain lengths for most Honda, Kawasakis, Suzukis and Yamahas: https://www.diamondchain.com/wp-cont...motorcycle.pdf
                  Last edited by TriNortchopz; 01-10-2018, 7:30 AM. Reason: added OP comment
                  If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Davestune
                    • May 2014

i just buy 530 120 and use chain breaker do that fuck lookin up shit

Comment

• flatman
                      • Sep 2017

trinorton, thanks for the info just what I need. Got it all now. I got a 47 Indian Chief I am bobbing. It was a basket with no chain. I found a place with 102 link regina chain cheap. Even as a bobber it would use stock length chain. My 45 bobber project altho a bobber; and not a chopper, would use a STOCKCULT size also. I also know how to put a chain on and cut it to length and can even rivet one together to make it longer. I am familiar with HD big twin choppers, and most hard tail choppers , I have seen,run stockcult length rear chains as most do not have extended hardtails. I also googled and surfed the net for over a couple of hours and found squat, guess I should have posted on BobberCult. I will try and be more "site compatable" in the future. Thanks to those who replied with info. To the others I expect some color input when I paint the Chief this spring, LMAO

Comment

• Sky
                        • Aug 2009

Don't paint it! Clear coat over any "patina" lol

Most hardtailed swingarm frames I've encountered have at least two inches of rearward stretch.
                        Stock hardtails, not so much. Lol

Too many unknown variables in a basket case. Why try to under estimate the chain length?
                        Do they charge by the link? Lol
                        And if you've got one of each of these machines, just buy the whole roll !!!

Note: I throw in the gay lols so dudes don't get butthurt.
                        Let me know if it working or not, lol.

Comment

• DKAlice
                          • Apr 2024

Exactly the Indian 1936 Chief rear wheel chain sprocket with rivets. 43 tooth.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                            • Dec 2017

Flatman, were you looking for this thread again?
                            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• flatman
                              • Sep 2017

yea I was. Tried the search function several ways but no luck. Got it written down now for future reference. Alas the brand new diamond chain 106 links for 5 bucks (glad I bought a couple back then) is not available anymore. Looks like the cheapest (regina among others) is 20 to 25 bucks. Thanks for the reply and time spent to get me the info TriNortChopz, appreciate it much.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;