Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Penguin74
    • Apr 2017

Sprocket Locking up on 4 Speed

I'm rebuilding a ratchet top 4 speed, got all new Andrews gears back in it, going to put the chain sprocket on and as soon as I torque down the sprocket lock nut the sprocket won't spin freely anymore. Prior to that nut being torqued down, everything is spinning freely like it's supposed to.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Been following the book to a T going back together, checking all my clearances as I go. Feel pretty good about how its together, but I'm obviously missing something.
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

What are you torquing the sprocket lock nut to? Is the seal flush with the case? Pics?

Comment

• Penguin74
      • Apr 2017

Torque spec I have is 100 ft/lbs. The seal is slightly recessed below the edge of the case. I can get some pictures after work and upload them.

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by Penguin74
        Torque spec I have is 100 ft/lbs. The seal is slightly recessed below the edge of the case. I can get some pictures after work and upload them.
        Well sounds correct so far. JB or others will hopefully tune in, much more knowledgeable than myself. What kind of mainshaft seal/spacer did you use?

Comment

• Penguin74
          • Apr 2017

Its the stock spacer, my trans is a 78 so it doesn't have the little key. The seal kit was from James Gasket, 4 speed main drive seal kit. Its got a new mainshaft needle bearing A-8905 as well pressed into the case.

Comment

• Penguin74
            • Apr 2017

Here's a picture of what I'm working with. It looks to me like the end of the spacer is rubbing on the back of the sprocket, is that how it's supposed to be? Doesn't seem right but that's how the manual shows it all going together.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Penguin74
              • Apr 2017

Should probably clarify, the sprocket will spin, but it is not "spinning freely" takes a good amount of effort to get it to spin once everything is torqued down.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

You may have the big seal seated so deep that it is fouling the flange on the seal spacer. But in your pic, the seal looks right. Did you use the cork gasket behind the seal? And does the seal spacer move freely and have some end float?

Jim

Comment

• Penguin74
                  • Apr 2017

Took it apart, put it back together maybe two or three times, working the sprocket back and forth with my hands each time. After a few tries it started loosening up, now seems to be good to go. Still not sure what was rubbing but seems to have worked itself free. Appreciate the help guys!

Comment

• Oct 2016

Originally posted by Penguin74
                    Took it apart, put it back together maybe two or three times, working the sprocket back and forth with my hands each time. After a few tries it started loosening up, now seems to be good to go. Still not sure what was rubbing but seems to have worked itself free. Appreciate the help guys!
                    Glad to hear man. Yeah figured JB would tune in, always appreciate his and many others wisdom on the site, great bunch of guys I’ve learned a lot from.

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ExplodingCoffinEmporium
                      Glad to hear man. Yeah figured JB would tune in, always appreciate his and many others wisdom on the site, great bunch of guys I’ve learned a lot from.
                      Looked like you had it handled. I didn't feel the need to say anything. "I concur", maybe?

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;