Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandersnatch
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by buscemi
    i wise man from a far away and ancient land known as corpitos once saw me using bailing wire to hold up my kickstand while i was away on a fantastic motorcycle voyage. he approached me with caution and produced an incredible device known as a "neodymium magnet" also known as rare earth. it was attatched to the frame and over 2000 miles later has never come off. needless to say they are on all my bikes now and i have not and will not ever use a spring again.

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.
    Don't let that thing get in your gas tank.

Comment

• punkrod
      • Jul 2011

Pulling the pin from the stand is probably the best way but I got one of these at a dirt bike shop for about $12 and it works great.

Comment

• jamesgs4
        • Oct 2009

i wise man from a far away and ancient land known as corpitos once saw me using bailing wire to hold up my kickstand while i was away on a fantastic motorcycle voyage. he approached me with caution and produced an incredible device known as a "neodymium magnet" also known as rare earth. it was attatched to the frame and over 2000 miles later has never come off. needless to say they are on all my bikes now and i have not and will not ever use a spring again.

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.
        the only drawback to a magnet is that the kickstand doesnt "snap" fully open like with a spring. you have to be careful and make sure it is fully extended everytime or your bike could drop as you walk away. almost did that once.

Comment

• L7Josh
          • Jun 2009

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.
          Did this wise man also talk of adventures in which wizards were chased?

Comment

• avastyematey
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by punkrod
            Pulling the pin from the stand is probably the best way but I got one of these at a dirt bike shop for about $12 and it works great.
            beat me to it.

Comment

• Tito
              • May 2010

Originally posted by MegaDON666
              My dads friend uses pennies in bettween the spring to stretch it out. He said he saw it on the internet but i couldnt find it
              I used a bunch of nails in between the coils when I put the hood springs back on my old chevy. Stretched it out just enough, went back on, then took them out. Worked great.

Comment

• RIPshitRIOT
                • Sep 2009

I'll join the screwdriver team, too. Just don't think you can hold the bike up and put the spring on at the same time. I wish I didn't know that.

Comment

• buscemi
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by L7Josh
                  Did this wise man also talk of adventures in which wizards were chased?
                  wizards were chased my friend. wizards were chased.

Comment

• asiantony
                    • Oct 2010

Sounds like a lot of work. Sell the bike, and buy something with the springs already attached...

Comment

• Pendulum
                      • Jul 2011

I ended up using the penny trick. Worked great. Screwdriver wouldn't have worked. The "sit on bike and pull up" would have worked, if my engine weren't in the frame.

Comment

• bonesxl1100
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by rus
                        yup, thats what i did on my dyna.

stick a few pennies in, check for length, add a couple more if you need to. get it just shy of long enough, then stretch it to get the last couple mm. once you get it on, swing out the kickstand, the spring will extend fully and the pennies will drop out.

definitely the easiest way ive found to do it.

Just did this today. worked great. Easier with 2 people. One person hold the spring and bend it and another person slide in pennies. Easier if you use work gloves as it can be hard on your hands bending the spring. It took about 8 pennies on my xs650 kickstand spring. Hooked the spring on the stand first then took pliers to stretch it enough to slip on the mount with the kickstand up. Once its on, drop the kickstand and the pennies just fall out.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                          • Apr 2010

insight

Originally posted by Pendulum
                          My kick stand spring got ripped off when I was trying to get my bike off a trailer, and I can't get it back on. I've tried some vice grips on it and I just can't get it to stretch far enough. It's like 1/8" from the hole.

Anyone got any tips? I've thought about heating it up, but a) I don't have a torch, and b) I was worried it'd deform the spring.
                          remove the nut holding the tab (and the tab) and the leg will move freely to hook the spring. no need for vise grips. be sure the bike is secured on blocks, etc.

hope this helps

I read this one here awhile back, wish i knew this eons ago, eons.

Comment

• HumblePie68
                            • Dec 2010

use the spring end of brake tool

Comment

• JohnTheWrench
                              • Aug 2011

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
                              remove the nut holding the tab (and the tab) and the leg will move freely to hook the spring. no need for vise grips. be sure the bike is secured on blocks, etc.

hope this helps

I read this one here awhile back, wish i knew this eons ago, eons.
                              This works, once you do it you will feel silly for all of the things you tried before doing this. It's a two minute job, no sweat.

Comment

• Nottso
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ltuck
                                Yep, screwdriver and visegrips...my bike hates kickstand springs, i bet i have put 20 on it.
                                If you orientate the spring properly, you can likely end this madness. Sounds weird, right? It's not. You'll notice that when they come off, they're usually hanging from the frame, having come out of the stand.

You want to put the spring through the hole in the stand so that when the stand is up, and you drop off a curb or something, that curb will try to push the spring-end up and further into the hole in the stand as opposed to pushing it up and out of the hole in the stand.

If you remember this the next time you install one, and look at it carefully, you'll see exactly what I mean. I also like to take a pliers and "close" the end on the stand some, after it's installed.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;