CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Re-installing kick stand spring?

My kick stand spring got ripped off when I was trying to get my bike off a trailer, and I can't get it back on. I've tried some vice grips on it and I just can't get it to stretch far enough. It's like 1/8" from the hole.

Anyone got any tips? I've thought about heating it up, but a) I don't have a torch, and b) I was worried it'd deform the spring.

Get Adobe Flash player

pull harder sissy

Get Adobe Flash player

just kidding. i usually use a screwdriver to get it almost there and then use pliers to get it the rest of the way on

Get Adobe Flash player

remove the nut holding the tab (and the tab) and the leg will move freely to hook the spring. no need for vise grips. be sure the bike is secured on blocks, etc.

hope this helps

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    My kick stand spring got ripped off when I was trying to get my bike off a trailer, and I can't get it back on. I've tried some vice grips on it and I just can't get it to stretch far enough. It's like 1/8" from the hole.

Anyone got any tips? I've thought about heating it up, but a) I don't have a torch, and b) I was worried it'd deform the spring.

Put it on a jack [scoot], jack it up [scoot], secure it [scoot]. Now get on the other side of the kickstand [kickstand needs to be out, extended], left side of bike, , land some vise grips on the spring away from the hook,make sure the spring opening is towards the front wheel, then pull, using your upper body weight and lean back some and it should land. or hire a real man to do it for you. just kidding, they are a bitch, some old guy taught me how to use my upper body.
    now i always sit down, feet under bike facing kickstand, you will figure it out cowboy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Flatironmike View Post
    remove the nut holding the tab (and the tab) and the leg will move freely to hook the spring. no need for vise grips. be sure the bike is secured on blocks, etc.

hope this helps
    Dam i am going out right now and trying this, hey gracias cowboy for the tip, never to late to learn.

Get Adobe Flash player

My dads friend uses pennies in bettween the spring to stretch it out. He said he saw it on the internet but i couldnt find it

Get Adobe Flash player

I use a screwdriver. works like a champ every time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beanhead78 View Post
    pull harder sissy
    LOL I knew someone was gonna say it. I'll admit I'm not the Hulk, but I've never had trouble when it comes to getting shit done.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll give it another shot tonight.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yep, screwdriver and visegrips...my bike hates kickstand springs, i bet i have put 20 on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDON666 View Post
    My dads friend uses pennies in bettween the spring to stretch it out. He said he saw it on the internet but i couldnt find it
    yup, thats what i did on my dyna.

stick a few pennies in, check for length, add a couple more if you need to. get it just shy of long enough, then stretch it to get the last couple mm. once you get it on, swing out the kickstand, the spring will extend fully and the pennies will drop out.

definitely the easiest way ive found to do it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by rus View Post
    yup, thats what i did on my dyna.

stick a few pennies in, check for length, add a couple more if you need to. get it just shy of long enough, then stretch it to get the last couple mm. once you get it on, swing out the kickstand, the spring will extend fully and the pennies will drop out.

definitely the easiest way ive found to do it.
    I always just took off my my kickstand and turned it inward and it slips right on no hassle. that's the easiest way if you have a jack or something. That way you don't run the risk of knockin out yer front teeth or otherwise finding yourself in a "stooges" kinda situation.

starwolf

brake pliers might work pretty good, another trick is to bend the spring so that washers can be inserted in between the coils of the spring,thus making it slightly longer. then removing said washers with pliers or a pick tool, after it is installed.

Get Adobe Flash player

+ 1 , flatiron.

Get Adobe Flash player

i wise man from a far away and ancient land known as corpitos once saw me using bailing wire to hold up my kickstand while i was away on a fantastic motorcycle voyage. he approached me with caution and produced an incredible device known as a "neodymium magnet" also known as rare earth. it was attatched to the frame and over 2000 miles later has never come off. needless to say they are on all my bikes now and i have not and will not ever use a spring again.

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by buscemi View Post
    i wise man from a far away and ancient land known as corpitos once saw me using bailing wire to hold up my kickstand while i was away on a fantastic motorcycle voyage. he approached me with caution and produced an incredible device known as a "neodymium magnet" also known as rare earth. it was attatched to the frame and over 2000 miles later has never come off. needless to say they are on all my bikes now and i have not and will not ever use a spring again.

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.
    Don't let that thing get in your gas tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pulling the pin from the stand is probably the best way but I got one of these at a dirt bike shop for about $12 and it works great.

Get Adobe Flash player

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.
    the only drawback to a magnet is that the kickstand doesnt "snap" fully open like with a spring. you have to be careful and make sure it is fully extended everytime or your bike could drop as you walk away. almost did that once.

Get Adobe Flash player

ebay.

about a dollar a piece.
    Did this wise man also talk of adventures in which wizards were chased?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by punkrod View Post
    Pulling the pin from the stand is probably the best way but I got one of these at a dirt bike shop for about $12 and it works great.
    beat me to it.

Share This