Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirt78
    • Jan 2012

Eliminitaing stock handlbar switches on Sportster

So, i have come to the decission that something just have to be done. I cant live with the stock controls...it gives me nightmares and i sleep bad..

So...
    1: clutchlever/setup must be ditched and replaced with something smoother. You know of some that will fit without to much hassle?

2: Left side controls; whats left - high/low beam, and horn. Since i do a lot of riding on highly trafficated roads, i think i would like to keep the horn, and this i guess, will do the job as a replacement: http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index...._detail&p=1487

3: Front brake pump. Needs a new brakeline so the stock can be removed. Also looking for a new master that has is smaller, any good choises? (would like to use one from a MX, but im not going to switch for 7/8" handlebar).

4: Right side controls. I need a kill switch, and i need a start switch.
    So... Should i just the same switch as in (2) as kill switch, or start? And have should i solve the remaining switch then? I dont want to rewire to much...
  • MLee1200N
    • Jun 2011

I'll be doing the same as I'm trying to clean up the mess of my EFI wires / switches.

I'm looking into these:

Hope that helps.

Comment

• michaelbarry
      • May 2010

I did my Softail about 4 years ago..the only switch I needed to keep was a start button, drilled the side of my console and put a micro switch in there for that. If your switch/control setup is anything like a Softail, with the switches off, you'll have a ridge toward the center of the bars on the 'cap' section that holds your controls to the bars..a file can take care of that pretty easily. It's not a hard job to do. As far as master cylinder, I kept the stock one but actually started working on a new idea today (which costs almost nothing, using your stock master cylinder). Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow and i'll post it if it works as it should and maybe you can get some ideas from it. I have seen guys use sport bike/dirt bike masters..just machine the bar clamp to 1" instead of 7/8".

Comment

• brooklynbomber
        • Sep 2011

Brake reservoir
        A few have asked so here ya go. You want a front brake but you also like the minimalist look up front. Follow me down the rabbit hole. I say rabbit hole because if you’re going to change up your master cylinder during this process, you’ve gotta make sure your get the correct size master cylinder. I kinda cheated and used the

Switch box

Comment

• Dirt78
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by MLee1200N
          I'll be doing the same as I'm trying to clean up the mess of my EFI wires / switches.

I'm looking into these:

Hope that helps.
          Those look great, thanks!!!
          One on each side, and im covered

Comment

• MagnusB
            • Nov 2011

If you want the handlebars really clean, it might be possible to hide the switches somewhere else? For example under the tank.

I am also cleaning up the bars on my . Hope to see pictures when you're done!

Comment

• aalsugha
              • Apr 2024

these guys make a valve that combines the plumbing from the rear and front that will allow you to get rid of the resevoir and lever completely. I'm not sure how braking will feel like after it is installed but it will get the job done. it is the 5th product down.

On the other hand this is a plug and play set of switches which are pricey but will allow you to get rid of your switch clusters

hope this helps

Comment

• michaelbarry
                • May 2010

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16864 Link, as promised.

Comment

• ironhead303
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by michaelbarry
                  I did my Softail about 4 years ago..the only switch I needed to keep was a start button, drilled the side of my console and put a micro switch in there for that. If your switch/control setup is anything like a Softail, with the switches off, you'll have a ridge toward the center of the bars on the 'cap' section that holds your controls to the bars..a file can take care of that pretty easily. It's not a hard job to do. As far as master cylinder, I kept the stock one but actually started working on a new idea today (which costs almost nothing, using your stock master cylinder). Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow and i'll post it if it works as it should and maybe you can get some ideas from it. I have seen guys use sport bike/dirt bike masters..just machine the bar clamp to 1" instead of 7/8".
                  they make a button that goes on you seilnoid so you can just start the bike there then you can get rid of all the wires on the bars, put one on my fxd, works awesome, try to post a pic so you can see what I am talking about.

Comment

• Saltytonk
                    • Mar 2011

Here is a couple of pics from my build. These are stock sportster hand controls with the switch houseings removed and ground down with a flapper disc and finished with a dremel and a palm sander then spray painted.

I think the MC doesnt look quite as big with all the other stuff removed. As for switchs I am running a starter button located on side panel behind the battery and a horn button mounted on a coil bracket I fabbed.

I'm not running a kill switch right now , but if I decide to I can just mount a simple toggle on the gray hot wire going to the coil and mount it on the same bracket.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                      • Sep 2011

Dirt - IMO, this is the cleanest way to keep hand controls at the thumb ready while cleaning up your bars. This is my goal, except I am going to do a smaller MC set up like the one I posted above.

Check out this guys blog, he has an entire how to on his set up.
                      Sweet handlebars

Also, the link I posted earlier for handlebar switches are cheaper than the Japanese eBay listing you saw, plus they are made in the USA and are nearly identical. They come raw so you can paint, pc or chrome them. Check it out.

Comment

• Dirt78
                        • Jan 2012

Brooklynbomber: That is exactly how it should look!!!!

...btw, im on my way..:

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                          • Sep 2011

what is the left side clutch perch? Heavily chopped stock one? Looks so skinny and clean.

Comment

• Dirt78
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by brooklynbomber
                            what is the left side clutch perch? Heavily chopped stock one? Looks so skinny and clean.
                            It was actually meant for my panhead (that i dont have anymore), not sure if i can make it fit.. but i might do with some modifications. I`ll update when i've had the time to look at it.

Comment

• buscemi
                              • Aug 2009

you can eliminate the starter button as well by putting it right on the starter itself.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;