Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirt78
    • Jan 2012

Can someone tell if the riser bolts will hold up if i drill a hole in them for wires? Or is that a bad idea..?
    Then i could pull the wires inside the bars all the way from the switches to the bottom of the riser bolts.

Comment

• badmojo
      • May 2010

There is quite a few company's now doin these small units,good choices out there,when I get some spare cash I'm getting some mini controls!

Comment

• EPMD
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Dirt78
        Can someone tell if the riser bolts will hold up if i drill a hole in them for wires? Or is that a bad idea..?
        Then i could pull the wires inside the bars all the way from the switches to the bottom of the riser bolts.
        I would advise against that...

Not really sure what the benefit would be honestly. Funny, but those are actually my bars that brooklynbomber posted above, and the wires are not a problem at all for me. Plus, I suspect those bolts are too small to even drill out a hole big enough to house them, at least not without making the threads prone to failure in the process.

Generally speaking, I would consider weakening critical fasteners, such as bolts securing the handlebars to the bike, to be "poor judgement."

But that's just my opinion. Thanks.

Comment

• Saltytonk
          • Mar 2011

ahhhh , whats the worst that could happen? I mean its not like your handlebars would come off as your laying into some twisties , and ya know I mean safety smafety whatever buy a Volvo.

No but seriously dont go drilling holes thru your riser bolts.

Comment

• Dirt78
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by EPMD

Not really sure what the benefit would be honestly. Funny, but those are actually my bars that brooklynbomber posted above, and the wires are not a problem at all for me. Plus, I suspect those bolts are too small to even drill out a hole big enough to house them, at least not without making the threads prone to failure in the process.

Generally speaking, I would consider weakening critical fasteners, such as bolts securing the handlebars to the bike, to be "poor judgement."

Benefit would be a cleaner look, nothing else... And since i of course know that this will weaken the bolts, i just thought i should ask if it could be done (i had my doubts though).
            Guess i just pull the wires out somewhere between the built in risers, and down from there... no big deal.

Btw; EPMD: your setup looks good.

Comment

• Dirt78
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Saltytonk
              ahhhh , whats the worst that could happen? I mean its not like your handlebars would come off as your laying into some twisties , and ya know I mean safety smafety whatever buy a Volvo.

No but seriously dont go drilling holes thru your riser bolts.

I already have a Volvo for safety....

Comment

• YOURADHERE
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by EPMD

I've had your blog saved for months now and plan on using it to do the same with my bars. It looks damn good and a great write up.

Comment

• EPMD
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by YOURADHERE
                  I've had your blog saved for months now and plan on using it to do the same with my bars. It looks damn good and a great write up.
                  thanks. let me know if you have any questions.

ep

Comment

• bummer
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by MadRiverMoCo
                    My switches have arrived - just got some cleaning around the garage, a few more parts to arrive, and a little nice weather and I'll shoot a how-to on doing a full three switch on each side replacement (two toggles from posh and a simple mid-west push button)- won't be the greatest how to ever but it will work - POSH sent me twice the switches I ordered but sent chrome housing instead of the black so they then sent even more switches (waiting ont their arrival) should mean they'll some POSH switches up in the classifieds soon...

(BTW shouldn't this thread be merged with the Mini Switches thread?)
                    What was the shipping wait like? I've been thinking about ordering some of their other shit.

Comment

• Dirt78
                      • Jan 2012

Update!
                      I just tried the cheap Taiwan Ted clutchlever, and guess what..... perfect match on my 2011 Iron
                      Only thing needs to be modified is that you need something to hold the "pin" in place, but that can be solved in several ways...easy. Drilling a hole through it and just pull a wire through should work. But i was thinking of making something more permanent that would have a flat top so it dont drop through the hole, and then bolt from the bottom.
                      Also i was thinking a set of brass or copper bushings would look better than these in white plastic. Maybe that is already available somewhere?? Or else it should be an easy thing to fix in the lathe.

Anyway, here is some pics...

And of course...., will be matched with theese too....

Cheers !!
                      Last edited by Dirt78; 02-24-2012, 9:43 AM.

Comment

• MisterFul
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by buscemi
                        you can eliminate the starter button as well by putting it right on the starter itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-330-Chrom...item45f3a367d9
                        anybody have a pic of this item mounted on a bike? pref sporty.....

Comment

• MisterFul
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by MisterFul
                          anybody have a pic of this item mounted on a bike? pref sporty.....
                          maybe this is B/T only?

Comment

• T0MCAT
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by misterful
                            maybe this is b/t only?
                            its not. They're the same

Comment

• harvema
                              • Jul 2011

i know a guy over at hdforums mounted the master cyl straight on to the fork and eliminated it from the bars, he did a pretty clean job and it worked, one way to clean up the bars....

Comment

• Dirt78
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by harvema
                                i know a guy over at hdforums mounted the master cyl straight on to the fork and eliminated it from the bars, he did a pretty clean job and it worked, one way to clean up the bars....
                                Pics?
                                A friend of mine had a bike once with an old style wire frontbrake, linked to a master cylinder hidden under the seat.... dont know how that setup looked like though.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;