CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: no spark

  1. #1
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default no spark

    So, I have a 2000 sporty that has been reworked, I changed the ignition key to an automotive style and got rid of any other connections I did not need. It was running great for awhile, but is dead now. All other electric connections are working, no blown fuse, but I'm not getting any spark. I am trying to figure this out without buying parts I don't need. What is the best way to chase this down? I do have a voltmeter but am not well versed in it's use. Any help/hints would be great.

  2. #2
    Bud
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlover77 View Post
    So, I have a 2000 sporty that has been reworked, I changed the ignition key to an automotive style and got rid of any other connections I did not need. It was running great for awhile, but is dead now. All other electric connections are working, no blown fuse, but I'm not getting any spark. I am trying to figure this out without buying parts I don't need. What is the best way to chase this down? I do have a voltmeter but am not well versed in it's use. Any help/hints would be great.
    Do you have the stock ignition module in it?

    Pretty easy to check the coil and plug wires, how many small terminals on your coil?

    I will PM you a very simple print that may help you
    Last edited by Bud; 01-29-2012 at 3:16 PM. Reason: note

  3. #3
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default

    The ignition module was changed awhile ago, but it is essentially a stock replacement. the coil is stock as well with the two small terminals.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlover77 View Post
    The ignition module was changed awhile ago, but it is essentially a stock replacement. the coil is stock as well with the two small terminals.
    You weld on it recently?

    Also, Don't take it personal:

    All yer fuses good?

    Lights work?

    All yer wires connected where they oughta be?

    Why'd you swap out the ignition?
    I'm just asking. Sometimes it's the dumb questions that help you see.
    Last edited by Bandersnatch; 01-29-2012 at 5:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
    You weld on it recently?

    Also, Don't take it personal:

    All yer fuses good?

    Lights work?

    All yer wires connected where they oughta be?

    Why'd you swap out the ignition?
    I'm just asking. Sometimes it's the dumb questions that help you see.

    I checked all the fuses,they are good, lights work. In fact in will crank but just no spark to the plugs. All the wires are connected where they are supposed to be, except for the handlebar switches which I removed. I switched out the ignition module years ago, I had taken it to a mechanic, I can't remember his exact reasoning, but the bike had stopped running. This time I was on the road and the bike just began to sputter then stopped.

  6. #6
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    78

    Default

    i had the same thing happen and it was a bad electrical connection on the coil

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,171

    Default

    Yeah check all your connections, it could be simple as a bad connection. But Have you ever had to replace any of the charging equipment yet? Which of your bikes is it? Your stator could have cooked if you've run it hot. That would cause your bike to sputter and die.

  8. #8
    chopped850
    Guest

    Default

    U did all the transformation and it ran good? Did it stop while riding or did you come out to start it and nothing? How many volts on the battery?

  9. #9
    Deadweight
    Guest

    Default

    Try jumpin' a wire right from the positive on the battery to the coil. Then turn it over and check for spark. If you still get nothing start with the simplest first. New plugs, wires and then coil.

    Bypassing your harness to do an ignition test, will tell you 100% if you Can get spark or not. If you get spark by jumpin' the hot to the coil, then it's time to chase down the break in the harness.

Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in