Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlover77
    • Mar 2010

no spark

So, I have a 2000 sporty that has been reworked, I changed the ignition key to an automotive style and got rid of any other connections I did not need. It was running great for awhile, but is dead now. All other electric connections are working, no blown fuse, but I'm not getting any spark. I am trying to figure this out without buying parts I don't need. What is the best way to chase this down? I do have a voltmeter but am not well versed in it's use. Any help/hints would be great.
  • Bud
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by carlover77
    So, I have a 2000 sporty that has been reworked, I changed the ignition key to an automotive style and got rid of any other connections I did not need. It was running great for awhile, but is dead now. All other electric connections are working, no blown fuse, but I'm not getting any spark. I am trying to figure this out without buying parts I don't need. What is the best way to chase this down? I do have a voltmeter but am not well versed in it's use. Any help/hints would be great.
    Do you have the stock ignition module in it?

Pretty easy to check the coil and plug wires, how many small terminals on your coil?

I will PM you a very simple print that may help you
    Last edited by Guest; 01-29-2012, 2:16 PM. Reason: note

Comment

• carlover77
      • Mar 2010

The ignition module was changed awhile ago, but it is essentially a stock replacement. the coil is stock as well with the two small terminals.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by carlover77
        The ignition module was changed awhile ago, but it is essentially a stock replacement. the coil is stock as well with the two small terminals.
        You weld on it recently?

Also, Don't take it personal:

All yer fuses good?

Lights work?

All yer wires connected where they oughta be?

Why'd you swap out the ignition?
        I'm just asking. Sometimes it's the dumb questions that help you see.
        Last edited by Bandersnatch; 01-29-2012, 4:17 PM.

Comment

• carlover77
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
          You weld on it recently?

Also, Don't take it personal:

All yer fuses good?

Lights work?

All yer wires connected where they oughta be?

Why'd you swap out the ignition?
          I'm just asking. Sometimes it's the dumb questions that help you see.

I checked all the fuses,they are good, lights work. In fact in will crank but just no spark to the plugs. All the wires are connected where they are supposed to be, except for the handlebar switches which I removed. I switched out the ignition module years ago, I had taken it to a mechanic, I can't remember his exact reasoning, but the bike had stopped running. This time I was on the road and the bike just began to sputter then stopped.

Comment

• kurtse63
            • Oct 2010

i had the same thing happen and it was a bad electrical connection on the coil

Comment

• Bandersnatch
              • Dec 2011

Yeah check all your connections, it could be simple as a bad connection. But Have you ever had to replace any of the charging equipment yet? Which of your bikes is it? Your stator could have cooked if you've run it hot. That would cause your bike to sputter and die.

Comment

• chopped850
                • Apr 2024

U did all the transformation and it ran good? Did it stop while riding or did you come out to start it and nothing? How many volts on the battery?

Comment

• Deadweight
                  • Apr 2024

Try jumpin' a wire right from the positive on the battery to the coil. Then turn it over and check for spark. If you still get nothing start with the simplest first. New plugs, wires and then coil.

Bypassing your harness to do an ignition test, will tell you 100% if you Can get spark or not. If you get spark by jumpin' the hot to the coil, then it's time to chase down the break in the harness.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;