Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mreed
    • Dec 2010

08 XLN winter facelift

Wanted to share my simple facelift that has become a little more than just a front end swap as I had planned.

Brand new in 08 when I brought it home

A couple days later...and as it has been since 08.

I've been reluctant to change anything on it because it's the first bike I've really customized. Super common to see but was cool 4 years ago. I haven't been riding it much. Maybe because I was bored with it so I decided it was time to change something.

One thing you can't buy cheap is a springer front end for these. Not a traditional looking springer anyway. I have about $700 in mine and I think it'll do the trick.

Started with a plain old DNA, measured & calculated every aspect I could think of and came up with the necessary mods to do this right giving me 4+ inches of trail, the height I want and adding some functionality to the downtrodden DNA.

Most pics are self explanitory but I have lots of other pics if there are questions.

Started with a new top clamp.

Last edited by mreed; 01-24-2012, 5:19 AM.
  • mreed
    • Dec 2010

Addressing some of the ride quality and aesthetic issues.

The rockers already have a grease-flow style bushing so I added zerks

I have several DNA's and they all have the same issue with improper spring rod bushing seating in the midplate.

They aren't tapered properly

New taper (these are upside down)

New fit on the right compared to how it was on the left

No pic but I'm only running the outer springs. I've removed the inner springs from my other springers and that has helped alot so this one will be set up that way as well.

I've kept in mind that this I'm using the DNA for mock up to test my modification. I'm making all of my parts to also fit an HD springer. If I decide to run an HD instead all I'll have to do is relocate the neck stem & swap my parts to it.

Like this headlight mount. DNA headlight mounting options are rather limited. My HD springer has a better option.

I added that same option to the DNA

and made the headlight hanger out of old Softail floorboard mounts

Comment

• mreed
      • Dec 2010

I want to run stock "R" model bars. These are too narrow to bolt directly to a springer and I don't like (and can't use) the offset adapter to run a glide width bar. So I made these.

Although, I think I'm going to change them.

Comment

• mreed
        • Dec 2010

So far it's a straight forward swap. I even made this little deal to relocate my riser-mounted indicator lights.

But that changes pretty fast.

I'm helping a guy ditch all of the excessive wires on his 08. Same bike, same year, same color even...

Looks alot better clean and the wiring is much more simple than I had thought. Now I want to do this with mine. That opened the doors to much more so I dug in to my stash of projects I already had going on...and having his bike in pieces gives me a perfect platform for mock up.

Started with a tank swap. I like them low & unique. This one began life on an 03 (100th anniversary) Heritage Classic Softail.

I got it free because it has a big dent in the right side.

I removed quite a bit from the center & while I had it apart I hammered the dent back out

I made a tunnel former (from watching Special 79 on You Tube) and tunneled it for an earlier Sportster frame

This is much too small for rubbermount frames so I had to open it up

larger tunnel

got this from Rene at Mercury Moto to mount my pump

Comment

• mreed
          • Dec 2010

The left side "filler" was for a pop in fuel gauge but I want to use it for a pocket for papers, weed...whatever.

I cut a filler out of this tank

removed the bottom & shaped it to fit mine

Comment

• mreed
            • Dec 2010

Continuing my repurposing and with my goal of being able to say I haven't bought from a catalogue, this is my rear fender.

Front fender from a Road King

light scuff exposed a perfect cut line

Still too wide so I taped an area to remove

Comment

• mreed
              • Dec 2010

Back to the springer. I was going to use the stock wheels & just swap the bearings as needed so I already had the brake ironed out. I'm going to use a Softail rear caliper. pre-04 Sportster rear caliper would have also worked but I want mine on the left side of the wheel.

It was a simple modification

Just cut the tab flat and tap the pin hole for the anchor. Here's a stock beside with the one I'm using

then I shaped the anchor tab

I spent a while getting the spacers & shims just right for the narrow glide hub but I had to redo those because I decided to run a different wheel.

Here's some of it put together and the wheels I'm using

A friend gave me the neck left over from his chop. This was pretty cool because I can test fit alot without taking my bike apart yet

Look at this turning radius. I need to reduce that some but I will do so with steering stops.

This is set up exactly like it will be when it's on my bike. And these are the wheels & tires I'll be using. Stock wheels from my 06 Electra Glide and Avon SMII tires

and the rear wheel with my fender. The fender will be about 1/2" higher than it is here.

I'm not hardtailing the bike. I have a garage full of hardtails and I'm leaving this a swinger. The fender will be mounted to the swingarm.

This is a spare I'll be doing the mods to so I can just swap mine when it comes to that. I'll be modifying this one a bit and I have some parts in transit at the moment so I haven't started this part yet.

Comment

• mreed
                • Dec 2010

The seat I've been running on my bike is fine but plain. It's a West Eagle. This is the one I will be running this time around

I got this haggard seat out of the back of a friend's shop. I think he was going to throw it away so I rescued it. Funked my truck on the way home. Bits of rotting leather and padding were stuck to it in patches all over it. It looked pretty bad. I soaked it in Goo Gone, sand blasted it then repeated for a few hours

prepped and powdercoated after I fixed a few things in regards to mounting

Took it to another friend's place that does interiors. He showed me how to use a few tools, gave me some quick lessons and let me fight this thing for several hours before coming back and giving me some much needed tips. I think he just wanted me to fight with it.

The leather I used is from the back side of a jacket my mom gave me when I was in the 8th grade. Pretty cool reuse I think. My wife told me I needed to throw that jacket out anyway.

That's about it for now. I'll bring updates as I continue.
                Last edited by mreed; 01-24-2012, 8:57 PM.

Comment

• yeti
                  • Apr 2024

Nice work. Nice shop, are those customers toys in there or yours?

Comment

• mreed
                    • Dec 2010

Thanks. It's all mine except for the other Nightster and 37 Plymouth Coupe.

Comment

• TimB1640
                      • Nov 2009

great info! are you going to run turn signals? i have to here in Ma and i'm looking for a way to mount some in such a way that that they won't stick out like a sore thumb! even if i attach them long enough for an inspection then take them off.

Comment

• Dirt78
                        • Jan 2012

Wow, cool project!
                        Loving your work with the tank, that low profile will look great.

Comment

• Nicko
                          • Sep 2009

Your workmanship is great, and I think this will be a great looking XL. Keep in mind that 04 caliper is DOT 5 and your 08 system is DOT 4. I am sure you are aware, but will require a flush etc. Your work on that DNA is impressive to say the least....

Comment

• mreed
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TimB1640
                            great info! are you going to run turn signals? i have to here in Ma and i'm looking for a way to mount some in such a way that that they won't stick out like a sore thumb! even if i attach them long enough for an inspection then take them off.
                            I'm not running turn signals but I think your idea of a temporary mount to pass inspection is cool.

Originally posted by Dirt78
                            Wow, cool project!
                            Loving your work with the tank, that low profile will look great.
                            thanks!

Originally posted by Nicko
                            Your workmanship is great, and I think this will be a great looking XL. Keep in mind that 04 caliper is DOT 5 and your 08 system is DOT 4. I am sure you are aware, but will require a flush etc. Your work on that DNA is impressive to say the least....
                            Thank you. I'm going to disassemble this caliper to powdercoat it & doing so should ultimately clean it out enough but I hadn't thought about the brake fluid differences. Thanks for the heads up!
                            Last edited by mreed; 01-24-2012, 8:49 PM.

Comment

• Spade115
                              • May 2010

this is real cool. Very nice work

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;