CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default xs650 front end swap...

I'm working on mounting a 35mm HD front end on my xs650. As you probably know, there are two ways of doing so. One is simply putting the HD tubes in the xs650 triple trees and modding the HD to fit. My end goal is to run a 21" HD front wheel. The other way, and the way I AM TOLD is easier, is by swapping out the stem from xs650 into the hd bottom tree.

What I need to know is:
    1. which route is actually easier
    2. i have 0 welding experience, so where should I take this to be done?
    3. am i forgetting anything that is going to cause me problems.

This is my first build ever, I am a 100% beginner. The only knowledge i've ever received on motorcycles is from my uncles growing up, which was minimal. One of my uncles' bikes some of you may have seen (caleb in culver city, ca -CRO Customs). He e-mails me tips and some help, but seeing as im in florida, the hands-on help is minimal and he mainly sticks to hd and doesnt do much with jap bikes.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Darien

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beaverbeavs View Post
    i've been on there a lot actually, and there's even a thread devoted to this question, but i'm looking for some insight from others. the one on there has a step-by-step for the actual stem swap, but no real instructions if i want to go the axle route.

Get Adobe Flash player

if your goal is to run a 21" front wheel, I would keep the xs650 trees AND tubes and just mess with the axle and the holes in the tubes where the axle goes through. I cant remember if the HD axle is slight larger diameter than the xs650, I believe it is. Simply drill out the xs650 lowers to accept the HD axle/wheel, space it and go!

Get Adobe Flash player

XS Front axle is 17mm or 0.669291339 inches

If i remember correctly Harleys are either 3/4" or 1"

Get Adobe Flash player

you could also have a 3\4 axle made at any competent machine shop. then you would have no need to swap out or modify your stock forks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Some helpful forkswap/axle information...

I have more, but I'm in class... gimme a few...

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/me...diameters.html

disregard the above, brainfart... You're going from metric to standard... My bad.

I would stick to the minimal steering stem swap. Work smarter not harder.
    Last edited by Poopie; 01-23-2012 at 6:35 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

OK here you go i do it all the time but you need bearing races for a XS650 top and bottom and 1" harley bearings same as trailer bearings. Only cutting is bottom of stock neck because XS650 has reset bearing and Harley does't. Look at directions for springer on XS and do the same. Very easy swap .If you need a picture of one done with 21" wheel i can send you one but Springer instructions are very detailed and easy to do. You have to remember any front can be switched it all down to bearings and stem. I have done GSXR / CBR / Harley / springers all on XS stock neck.
    Good luck with your build. Below pictures of XS 650 with Sportster front end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0919.jpg   wbk1.JPG  
    Last edited by Rich; 01-24-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    OK here you go i do it all the time but you need bearing races for a XS650 top and bottom and 1" harley bearings same as trailer bearings. Only cutting is bottom of stock neck because XS650 has reset bearing and Harley does't. Look at directions for springer on XS and do the same. Very easy swap .If you need a picture of one done with 21" wheel i can send you one but Springer instructions are very detailed and easy to do. You have to remember any front can be switched it all down to bearings and stem. I have done GSXR / CBR / Harley / springers all on XS stock neck.
    Good luck with your build. Below pictures of XS 650 with Sportster front end.
    i've done some searching and can't really find detailed springer on xs650 info. if i go the route of just swapping the stems on the two front ends (putting the xs650 stem in the hd triple trees) how would i go about getting the stem out of the xs650? cutting that bottom weld out?

Get Adobe Flash player

In my opinion, and you know what "they" say about those, you are looking at a shit tone more work and money replacing the neck and putting a springer on to get your 21" rim, then just drilling out the factory forks to fit the axle you want for the rim... Just saying... I went back and forth trying to decide the same thing and said screw it for this build and stuck with the factory shit.. all depends on what you want brother...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jbob View Post
    In my opinion, and you know what "they" say about those, you are looking at a shit tone more work and money replacing the neck and putting a springer on to get your 21" rim, then just drilling out the factory forks to fit the axle you want for the rim... Just saying... I went back and forth trying to decide the same thing and said screw it for this build and stuck with the factory shit.. all depends on what you want brother...
    i'm not actually putting a springer on my bike, but one of the other members told me that instructions for springer installation would help me with just the stem swap so i can run a 21" front. the axle mod does seem simpler, but do you have any links or anything for instructions on how to do it? like i've stated, I am brand new to building bikes, so as detailed instructions as possible are the best! haha, thanks for the help/patience fellas!

also i know that the fork holes for the axle aren't the right size on the xs650 forks for the hd axle, but they also aren't the width apart. my forks for my xs650 are wider than for my hd forks, otherwise i would just run the hd tubes in the xs650 triple trees, right?

Get Adobe Flash player

I bought the Mikes XS tapered bearing kit just for the races (they are a direct taper match for HD bearings) then used the HD bearings on the HD trees. Cut about 5/16" off the bottom of the neck and used the stock lower race for a spacer under the bottom bearing. Pretty easy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Is there enough room to fit a 21 in softail wheel between the xs forks?

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a 21 inch wire wheel on my 1977 xs650, my bike came with a 19' wire wheel and i cut the hub out and re-laced a 21' rim and got new spokes from Buchanan. If your bike came with mag wheels, just buy a hub on eBay for an xs650 and make a 21' wheel and then u can use all the stock front end and stock brakes and axles
    Last edited by christopherxs650; 03-24-2015 at 6:43 PM.

I will add my question on to this instead of starting a new thread.

I just picked up a basket case xs650 and got a DNA springer with it. I got all balls bearing/race kit for the xs also. I went and picked up some tapered bearings from a trailer shop today that have a 1" ID. They don't fit in the XS races worth a damn, barely go in.

Also, when I measure the bearings that came with the all balls XS kit they seem to have a 1" ID as well.

Do I just not have the correct trailer bearings?

Ok, after more looking I think I figured out the problem. The All Balls bearing kit for xs650 comes with two different tapered bearings and races. One set is part # 99-3505 and the other set is part # 99-3506. The race from 99-3506 fits the taper of the 1" trailer bearings but 99-3505 does not. I just need one more race 99-3506. I'm surprised I couldn't find this mentioned anywhere.

http://www.thechopperunderground.com...howtopic=50017

Share This