Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sumo
    • Jul 2009

TECH: Make your own custom length cables

figured id share this here - i agree we need more tech / build stuff - only one way thats going to happen - we post it....

a friend of mine asked me to show him how to make up cables so he didnt have to either pay out for custom cables or have yards of spare on his bike.

its fairly self explanitory, but like all stuff - if nobody has ever told you then its a black art.

i buy the longest universal cables available and cut em down [specific brake or clutch, get the right thickness]

solder and bakers fluid - dont use fluxcore its not upto the job

use a propper old fashioned soldering iron not a pissy little electric thing

feed the cable through the nipple and splay the ends out so i cant fall / pull out

heat from the side with the soldering iron - for this job you dot need to put solder directly onto the iron
    Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2009, 12:33 PM.
  • sumo
    • Jul 2009

drop in some bakers fluid down the splayed end - if it bubbles brown then your cable is dirty and needs cleaning thorougly [just heat it on the iron and dip it in bakers fluid, repeat untill clean bubbles] or your soldering wont be strong enough. feed in solder down the hole till it fills up and you can see a tiny little bit out of the cable end of the nipple [ok so im running out of hands so you get the idea

dress off with a file and there you have it - one new cable to your exact length. done like this you end up with a wedge of solder inside the wire itself. basically means you cant pull it out through the smaller hole

can save a small fortune over time doing this yourself in a safe way.

Comment

• Kyle
      • Jul 2009

Awesome tech man! Thats something we can all use!

Comment

• CaptainBob
        • Aug 2009

Good stuff, Sumo.

This is a case where its actually easier done than said.

Comment

• sumo
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by CaptainBob
          Good stuff, Sumo.

This is a case where its actually easier done than said.
          exactly - get the right materials and have them in stores and you can have your custom cables done in 15 minutes. saves time and money

Comment

• independentrider1
            • Aug 2009

What kind of solder is that? its not electrical or plumbing is it? any special tips on cutting or prepping the housing? this was very usefull to me. Thanks

Comment

• sumo
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by independentrider1
              What kind of solder is that? its not electrical or plumbing is it? any special tips on cutting or prepping the housing? this was very usefull to me. Thanks
              the cable outer - i just put in vice and cut with angle grinder. that way you dont make a mess of it bending it with wire cutters or something. nice clean cut every time. with the universal cable kits you get cable ends to push on as well as a selection of nipples

bakers fluid - http://www.fernox.com/?cccpage=baker...ng_fluid&sub=9

dont know where you will get it in america but its readily available over here in england. above is the link to its spec. search from america and google will probably find it for you. from here it just tells me nearby shops

Comment

• independentrider1
                • Aug 2009

thanks man! I paid Barnett $50.00 plus to make a really short one for my foot clutch. Never again I'll do it myself.

Comment

• BoomBoom
                  • Aug 2009

This is excellent. Once again, one of those things that seems so simple everyone should have thought of it but most of us never do. Thanks for posting with the pics. This is the type of stuff that makes a forum great!

Comment

• CECNC
                    • Apr 2024

Great job, thanks

Comment

• H34TH3N
                      • Aug 2009

Excellent post man, been wanting to try this for a while now, glad to see how it works...Thanks

Comment

• Magickman
                        • Aug 2009

I am curious what you do with the end of the protective covering?

Comment

• superflysnow
                          • Aug 2009

so is the cable a cable kit or are there resources for the cables, outers and ends?

Comment

• sumo
                            • Jul 2009

i use venhill over here - known good quality and pretty cheap

but again im sure there is an equivalent supplyer over there

as for the ends of the covering - thats what the ferrules are for - just push them on

although you can buy kits and for your first couple of cables its probably a good bet - that way you get a stock of various sized nipples / spare ferrules etc built up
                            Last edited by sumo; 08-06-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• WayneBallard
                              • Aug 2009

Great post Sumo.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;