Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Results 1 to 20 of 100

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default TECH: Make your own custom length cables

    figured id share this here - i agree we need more tech / build stuff - only one way thats going to happen - we post it....

    a friend of mine asked me to show him how to make up cables so he didnt have to either pay out for custom cables or have yards of spare on his bike.

    its fairly self explanitory, but like all stuff - if nobody has ever told you then its a black art.

    i buy the longest universal cables available and cut em down [specific brake or clutch, get the right thickness]

    solder and bakers fluid - dont use fluxcore its not upto the job


    use a propper old fashioned soldering iron not a pissy little electric thing


    feed the cable through the nipple and splay the ends out so i cant fall / pull out


    heat from the side with the soldering iron - for this job you dot need to put solder directly onto the iron
    Last edited by billdozer; 09-21-2009 at 12:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default

    drop in some bakers fluid down the splayed end - if it bubbles brown then your cable is dirty and needs cleaning thorougly [just heat it on the iron and dip it in bakers fluid, repeat untill clean bubbles] or your soldering wont be strong enough. feed in solder down the hole till it fills up and you can see a tiny little bit out of the cable end of the nipple [ok so im running out of hands so you get the idea


    dress off with a file and there you have it - one new cable to your exact length. done like this you end up with a wedge of solder inside the wire itself. basically means you cant pull it out through the smaller hole


    can save a small fortune over time doing this yourself in a safe way.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Awesome tech man! Thats something we can all use!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Good stuff, Sumo.

    This is a case where its actually easier done than said.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBob View Post
    Good stuff, Sumo.

    This is a case where its actually easier done than said.
    exactly - get the right materials and have them in stores and you can have your custom cables done in 15 minutes. saves time and money

  6. #6

    Default

    What kind of solder is that? its not electrical or plumbing is it? any special tips on cutting or prepping the housing? this was very usefull to me. Thanks

  7. #7
    ARBY
    Guest

    Default

    Is the use of the soldering iron mandatory or can I apply heat directly to the nipple???

  8. #8

    Default

    anyone have any other ideas as to where to get cable supplies? maybe around the PA area?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    I stole/modified this idea a bit, and it works fuckin great. Would have never thought to try it, so thanks to the OP. I used odyssey bmx brake cables, which are badass for bmx bikes. For the ferrul, I used a Allen bolt, cut the head off, drill a hole in it, slide the cable in and mig weld it. Used a flap disc to get the ferrul down to size. Been running duel throttle cables and clutch like this for a while, without problems. Thanks again OP. I was goin nuts tryin to find the right length cables.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    569

    Default

    they do make a couple different solders 50/50 is half tin ,half lead ,also 60/40 60% tin 40% lead the higher the tin content the stronger ,and harder for it to pull through...commercial plumbing cant use 50/50 because of lead poisoning issues probably some EPA regulations ,probably cant get it in california cause everything causes cancer or birth defects in cali .its not noticibaly different to use obviously it will take a few extra degrees to melt but propane still works.the wedge is what does the trick but a stronger wedge is preferable

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Thanks Sumo for posting this.

    I've been saving up for a new set of shorter cables,(I'm running a set of flat track bars now.) and now I can

    put that $ toward so other mods.

    Thanks again and ride smart.

  12. #12

    Default

    Thanks for this idea, Sumo! Fixed my throttle cable. I'd have never thought to fix it this way.

  13. #13

    Default

    that beats the hell out of the little allen set screw units I've used in the past. My build is going to have cable clutch, rear brake, and dual throttle, so you just save my wallet some strain.

    You just have to be careful not to get solder down the cable because it will make it hard and brittle. a little goes a long way. Also roughing up the hole with a tiny dremmel bit will probably help the solder bite into the cable end.
    Last edited by CarpeNoctem; 09-16-2011 at 9:43 AM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,362

    Default

    I get cables at the Honda dealership by my house. They have a generic cable they can order. They cost $1.99. One dude knows me and knows what I'm looking for, some of the other dudes think I'm nuts asking for a generic throttle cable, but it is in their part book. Just gotta get em to find it.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vnygra View Post
    I get cables at the Honda dealership by my house. They have a generic cable they can order. They cost $1.99. One dude knows me and knows what I'm looking for, some of the other dudes think I'm nuts asking for a generic throttle cable, but it is in their part book. Just gotta get em to find it.
    You should grab the honda OE part number on this I wouldn't mind looking into it. The dealer here has a new parts guy every week with less and less exp. I usually look up my own numbers and just give it to them and review them in the order too.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    160

    Default

    As far as flux to make the cables. Oatey #5 solder paste. They sell it in any hardware/homedepot in my part of the country. Now onto my cable problems. I bought a generic throttle and clutch cable from venhill us. I haven't done much with the throttle cable but it looks like it is going to work out great. The clutch cable is a different story. The generic clutch cable kit from venhill is to small a diameter and none of the cable ends are the correct size for my application. Which I should have started with. 1979 fxef. I got rid of the stock clutch lever and bought one off ebay that came from a 95 fx. I looked around and cannot find a cable end that goes on the lever end. So I either have to a) go with a stock shovel clutch lever. I'm not going to do this because I don't want the built in button housing. B) Order a lever for a panhead. This look like my best option. Or c) buy a random Honda clutch lever, bore it out to fit 1" handelbars, and then hope I can get the cable parts to make it work. I realy want to make my own cables. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the correct combo of cable, conduit, cable ends, and ferrules to buy. I calls Flanders today to try and get some expert help. I was told they could send me parts but I would probably get the wrong ones and be upset. They did say they would be more than happy to make me a clutch cable All I had to do was ship them my old cable and new clutch lever and tell them how much longer I wanted it and they would make it and send everything back. So if any one can point me in the right direction... Is the cable a 2.5mm or a 3mm. If it is 2.5mm do I use the 6mm or 7mm conduit. The trans end of my cable has a lead ball that measures 7.6mm. What cable end fitting would I get from Flanders to replace the ball. I don't have the pan clutch lever yet so I can't measure anything but I will need a cable end and a ferrule that fits. Any ideas? Also. If I'm gonna buy cable makings I would have enough left to make a few more cables. I would like to make some for friends with stock shovel setups that just need longer cables. What ferrule/cable end would I get for the lever side of the cable. I can't seem to find exact replacements in the Flanders catalog. Ughhhhhhh. So frustrating. Sorry if this post is erratic and hard to follow. My frustration is getting to me. Any body with any info on any of this would be appreciated.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Good post Sumo,

    I need to make up some longer cables and have been itching to have a go at making my own - thanks for the Fernox link.

    Nick

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    As far as flux to make the cables. Oatey #5 solder paste. They sell it in any hardware/homedepot in my part of the country. Now onto my cable problems. I bought a generic throttle and clutch cable from venhill us. I haven't done much with the throttle cable but it looks like it is going to work out great. The clutch cable is a different story. The generic clutch cable kit from venhill is to small a diameter and none of the cable ends are the correct size for my application. Which I should have started with. 1979 fxef. I got rid of the stock clutch lever and bought one off ebay that came from a 95 fx. I looked around and cannot find a cable end that goes on the lever end. So I either have to a) go with a stock shovel clutch lever. I'm not going to do this because I don't want the built in button housing. B) Order a lever for a panhead. This look like my best option. Or c) buy a random Honda clutch lever, bore it out to fit 1" handelbars, and then hope I can get the cable parts to make it work. I realy want to make my own cables. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the correct combo of cable, conduit, cable ends, and ferrules to buy. I calls Flanders today to try and get some expert help. I was told they could send me parts but I would probably get the wrong ones and be upset. They did say they would be more than happy to make me a clutch cable All I had to do was ship them my old cable and new clutch lever and tell them how much longer I wanted it and they would make it and send everything back. So if any one can point me in the right direction... Is the cable a 2.5mm or a 3mm. If it is 2.5mm do I use the 6mm or 7mm conduit. The trans end of my cable has a lead ball that measures 7.6mm. What cable end fitting would I get from Flanders to replace the ball. I don't have the pan clutch lever yet so I can't measure anything but I will need a cable end and a ferrule that fits. Any ideas? Also. If I'm gonna buy cable makings I would have enough left to make a few more cables. I would like to make some for friends with stock shovel setups that just need longer cables. What ferrule/cable end would I get for the lever side of the cable. I can't seem to find exact replacements in the Flanders catalog. Ughhhhhhh. So frustrating. Sorry if this post is erratic and hard to follow. My frustration is getting to me. Any body with any info on any of this would be appreciated.
    I'm using a Honda clutch lever on my build and 7/8" bars. I bought a cheap clutch cable off ebay for Harleys and made my own end to fit the Honda lever out of the unthreaded part of a long steel bolt. I used two drill bits in my cheapo HF drill press to make the hole. I spent less than $20 per cable. The cables are closer to 3mm (.110) and have a 7mm conduit (sheath?).
    If you are using a Harley lever, does it use the banjo (loop) looking fitting? If so, maybe your local HD dealership can give you an old trashed cable and you can de-solder the end off. Or maybe check some HD forums for a broken one? Or, buy a cheap cable with your lever fitting, and make (or buy) the tranny end ball. I'd buy a ball end that's the right diameter with a smaller hole and drill it to fit.
    BTW, I don't think Oatey's No.5 will work on stainless cables.

    If you have any Q's, feel free to PM me, I may be able to help out.

    Bottom Feeder Solder Pot:


    1" pipe cap (de-galvanized with muriatic acid). Dip you knip in flux, dip in pot. I heat it with my handy-dandy bernzotorch.

    Edit: scroll to bottom of page (Honda-Davidson clutch cable).
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...d=1#post673846
    Last edited by Motocrash; 06-06-2015 at 1:10 PM.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
         
         
CHOP CULT HOME

ADVERTISE    |    CONTACT    |    ©2009 - 2017 ChopCult    |    REPORT ABUSE    |    CONDUCT

Chopcult on Instagram Chopcult on Pinterest Chopcult on Tumblr Chopcult on Facebook Chopcult on Twitter