Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimB1640
    • Nov 2009

aren't clutch cables stainless steel? i have some flux that is made for soldering stainless. i got it from a company that makes stainless flashing for commercial buildings. how would that work?

Comment

• austintylerr
      • Jul 2012

Figured I'd post this here since its relevant.

I got a new throttle, cables, and VMs from MMM at 650central as well as the cables to go with it. After installing everything and trying multiple ways to route the cables, I've come to the conclusion that the housing on the cable (carb side) needs to be cut back about 1/4" because its preventing the slides from dropping all the way. I've tried using my diagonal cutters to trim it back but I feel like its going to cut the wire. What would y'all suggest to cut it back?

Comment

• SamHain
        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by austintylerr

I got a new throttle, cables, and VMs from MMM at 650central as well as the cables to go with it. After installing everything and trying multiple ways to route the cables, I've come to the conclusion that the housing on the cable (carb side) needs to be cut back about 1/4" because its preventing the slides from dropping all the way. I've tried using my diagonal cutters to trim it back but I feel like its going to cut the wire. What would y'all suggest to cut it back?
        dremil and a steady hand.

Comment

• austintylerr
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by SamHain
          dremil and a steady hand.
          Well I don't have much to lose seeing as it already doesn't work...

Comment

• 13clicks
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ClassicCust0ms
            killer thread. i made my cables last night. i used my factory cables and spun new barrels on my POS harbor freight lath. spent zero bucks.
            Photos?

Comment

• meathead75
              • Apr 2013

I put 20 inch apes on my bike and uses a set of push pull cables from venhill usa. Ordered the longest generic cables they had and got lucky i didnt even have to cut them but maybe two inches. I think the whole deal cost like 35 bucks which was a way better deal than anywhere else. They even sent me an email telling me when they shipped and when they would arrive. After i got them they sent me an email asking if i liked them and asked me to recomend them and contact them if i had any problems. Real good to deal with. When i soldered on the ends i drilled a real big hole in a 2x4 covered the hole in flux and than melted the solder into that. I also split the ends of the wire after i had them through the thing and than dipped it in that puddle of solder. Worked real good. Than i grinded the extra solder off and that waz it. Much easier than i thought it would be. And way cheaper too. No problems so far and that was like 3 months ago.

Comment

• vnygra
                • Aug 2010

I get cables at the Honda dealership by my house. They have a generic cable they can order. They cost $1.99. One dude knows me and knows what I'm looking for, some of the other dudes think I'm nuts asking for a generic throttle cable, but it is in their part book. Just gotta get em to find it.

Comment

• XLJeh
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by vnygra
                  I get cables at the Honda dealership by my house. They have a generic cable they can order. They cost $1.99. One dude knows me and knows what I'm looking for, some of the other dudes think I'm nuts asking for a generic throttle cable, but it is in their part book. Just gotta get em to find it.
                  You should grab the honda OE part number on this I wouldn't mind looking into it. The dealer here has a new parts guy every week with less and less exp. I usually look up my own numbers and just give it to them and review them in the order too.

Comment

• chopedone
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by austintylerr

For this I've used a small tubing cutter, available in the plumbing section of home supply centers, hardware stores, or even a good auto supply store will have 'em.Works like a charm!! Didn't fray ONE strand of the inner cable... Hope this helps...

Comment

• KingHerald
                      • Aug 2013

I need to make a tiny nipple for the carb end of my throttle cable. I'm think something like 1/8" welding rod with a tiny hole drilled in it might work. The nipple is the opposite way round to most every clutch or brake cable I've seen.

I've checked in all the local bike shops, but nobody has anything like it.

Carb is a Mikuni, where the cable feeds through the screw on cap, then through a small hole in the slide, and slips into a slot to hold it.

Comment

• Choppasaki
                        • Sep 2013

measure it....
                        you can also make the cable end with a fishing weight makin' kit and a hand made mould, most are lead anyway, but I like the idea of using brass ferels and solder.

Comment

• Mar 2014

Thought I'd pop in and post a thanks for this thread. I found it Googling cable ends.

I'm putting CVK 40mm carbs on an old BMW 900, bored to 1050, and needed to adapt some KLR choke and throttle cables. Kawasaki's KLR 650 uses the same carbs, minus the accelerator pump as Harleys. I found my two carbs & all 4 of the cables for under $200.

Flanders is a great resource, I got all my bits, both ferrules and cable ends for about $10. I managed to get my sizes right the first time--a digital micrometer from Harbor Freight helped. For those who haven't dealt with Flanders, they do offer individual parts--that was a little confusing to me, they list bags of 25, too. But the good part is there's no need to buy massive collections of cable parts in one of those huge motion-pro kits. Flanders calls to check your order before they ship, and there is a small $2 charge for orders under $20. Shipping was fast, ordered Thursday, shipped Friday, in my mail box on Monday.

It looks like a product called Ruby Fluid will do the job of getting the solder to stick to the cable. http://rubyfluidflux.com/Soldering_Flux.html I'm hoping the local plumbing supply store stocks it, if not Do-It-Best associated hardware stores do. And McMasters-Carr. And Amazon. Small containers--less than $5.

Again, thanks to the OP and all the other contributors to this thread. It's helped me whole lot.

Comment

• Mar 2014

Originally posted by KingHerald
                            I need to make a tiny nipple for the carb end of my throttle cable. I'm think something like 1/8" welding rod with a tiny hole drilled in it might work. The nipple is the opposite way round to most every clutch or brake cable I've seen.

I've checked in all the local bike shops, but nobody has anything like it.

Carb is a Mikuni, where the cable feeds through the screw on cap, then through a small hole in the slide, and slips into a slot to hold it.
                            I have a set of those carbs, mine are VM38s. You can get the right cable end from Flanders, the p/n is 620-24749. 64 cents each plus shipping and a $2 surcharge. The ferrule to finish off the end of the outer cable is called a Derby ferrule, p/n 620-20920, 96 cents ea.
                            Last edited by 685; 04-01-2014, 8:58 AM. Reason: add quote

Comment

• CHEN
                              • Sep 2009

I'm having a hard time finding some Bakers Soldering fluid over here in the US. Any good substitutes? What am I looking for in the flux that will work for this application?

Comment

• BrokenFang
                                • Apr 2011

have question about brake and clutch cables. should i do the end at the lever or the other end on these cables. i am cutting stock ones down.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;