Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vnygra
    • Aug 2010

I stole/modified this idea a bit, and it works fuckin great. Would have never thought to try it, so thanks to the OP. I used odyssey bmx brake cables, which are badass for bmx bikes. For the ferrul, I used a Allen bolt, cut the head off, drill a hole in it, slide the cable in and mig weld it. Used a flap disc to get the ferrul down to size. Been running duel throttle cables and clutch like this for a while, without problems. Thanks again OP. I was goin nuts tryin to find the right length cables.

Comment

• some1else
      • Jun 2011

they do make a couple different solders 50/50 is half tin ,half lead ,also 60/40 60% tin 40% lead the higher the tin content the stronger ,and harder for it to pull through...commercial plumbing cant use 50/50 because of lead poisoning issues probably some EPA regulations ,probably cant get it in california cause everything causes cancer or birth defects in cali .its not noticibaly different to use obviously it will take a few extra degrees to melt but propane still works.the wedge is what does the trick but a stronger wedge is preferable

Comment

• RmFaster
        • Jul 2011

Thanks Sumo for posting this.

I've been saving up for a new set of shorter cables,(I'm running a set of flat track bars now.) and now I can

put that $ toward so other mods.

Thanks again and ride smart.

Comment

• Motorradfahrer
          • Aug 2009

Thanks for this idea, Sumo! Fixed my throttle cable. I'd have never thought to fix it this way.

Comment

• CarpeNoctem
            • Sep 2011

that beats the hell out of the little allen set screw units I've used in the past. My build is going to have cable clutch, rear brake, and dual throttle, so you just save my wallet some strain.

You just have to be careful not to get solder down the cable because it will make it hard and brittle. a little goes a long way. Also roughing up the hole with a tiny dremmel bit will probably help the solder bite into the cable end.
            Last edited by CarpeNoctem; 09-16-2011, 9:43 AM.

Comment

• sumo
              • Jul 2009

no worries

no need to rough anything up - you are putting a wedge of solder inside the cable this way. it cant come out even if it wasnt stuck to the nipple [which it will be anyway]

and yep - solder down the cable will give a brittle spot that you dont want

Comment

• zero937
                • Sep 2011

oh yeah bigger apes here i come lol good write up man

Comment

• Gusto
                  • Apr 2024

Awesome info. Thanks for posting it. Any thoughts on the technique in this video? ... it's certainly simple and seems like it would be strong...

The relevant bits are from 6:30 onward.

Comment

• sumo
                    • Jul 2009

looks like a long winded way of not getting the job done right to me. i guess it would work at a pinch but for the $1 saved i would do it right and get a cable end that is actually round and will move freely in the lever recess

Comment

• Gusto
                      • Apr 2024

I hear ya. Could probably take some time to shape it properly but for what it's worth I'll end up doing mine the way you posted.

Comment

• desertw0lf
                        • Feb 2012

Anyone have a line on stainless braid conduit for these homemade cables? I think that would just about make this method perfect!

Comment

• pineapplepower
                          • May 2010

solder type

The ALPHA soldering flux line is unsurpassed in providing wave soldering process solutions. Its alcohol-based fluxes provide excellent wetting, virtually defect-free soldering and high line throughput across the full range of applications.Find the FLUX LIQUID 3OZ ACID at Ace.

will this solder work???

Comment

• venhillusa
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by desertw0lf
                            Anyone have a line on stainless braid conduit for these homemade cables? I think that would just about make this method perfect!
                            Hi desertw0lf,

I was alerted to this post via Google so I joined up in order to respond to your message. There is actually a resource for cable kits with braided conduit, Venhill, which has been mentioned already in this thread, but what hasn't been mentioned is that Venhill is making a push into the US, via Venhill USA. I'm Chris, and I'm responsible for the Venhill USA effort.

I just joined up and added some information about our cable kits to the Classifieds section, including details about the contents of each kit, pricing, etc. Have a look and let me know what you think, if you have any questions, etc.

Thanks!

Chris
                            Venhill USA

Comment

• Pendulum
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by pineapplepower
                              That's flux, not solder.

Here's what you need. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Exper.../dp/B0001K9QK4

If you want to buy from your local Ace, go to the nearest Ace and tell an employee you need K60/40 tin/lead solder.

Comment

• MeanBean
                                • Apr 2012

I'll guess I'll give this a whirl.
                                Last edited by MeanBean; 06-21-2012, 3:15 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;