Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SNOT275
    • Jun 2013

Originally posted by CHEN
    I'm having a hard time finding some Bakers Soldering fluid over here in the US. Any good substitutes? What am I looking for in the flux that will work for this application?
    Would like to know this too

Comment

• BrokenFang
      • Apr 2011

Flanders cables has the equivalent to bakers. i just orderd that and some ends from them the other day

Comment

• Paris
        • May 2014

As far as flux to make the cables. Oatey #5 solder paste. They sell it in any hardware/homedepot in my part of the country. Now onto my cable problems. I bought a generic throttle and clutch cable from venhill us. I haven't done much with the throttle cable but it looks like it is going to work out great. The clutch cable is a different story. The generic clutch cable kit from venhill is to small a diameter and none of the cable ends are the correct size for my application. Which I should have started with. 1979 fxef. I got rid of the stock clutch lever and bought one off ebay that came from a 95 fx. I looked around and cannot find a cable end that goes on the lever end. So I either have to a) go with a stock shovel clutch lever. I'm not going to do this because I don't want the built in button housing. B) Order a lever for a panhead. This look like my best option. Or c) buy a random Honda clutch lever, bore it out to fit 1" handelbars, and then hope I can get the cable parts to make it work. I realy want to make my own cables. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the correct combo of cable, conduit, cable ends, and ferrules to buy. I calls Flanders today to try and get some expert help. I was told they could send me parts but I would probably get the wrong ones and be upset. They did say they would be more than happy to make me a clutch cable All I had to do was ship them my old cable and new clutch lever and tell them how much longer I wanted it and they would make it and send everything back. So if any one can point me in the right direction... Is the cable a 2.5mm or a 3mm. If it is 2.5mm do I use the 6mm or 7mm conduit. The trans end of my cable has a lead ball that measures 7.6mm. What cable end fitting would I get from Flanders to replace the ball. I don't have the pan clutch lever yet so I can't measure anything but I will need a cable end and a ferrule that fits. Any ideas? Also. If I'm gonna buy cable makings I would have enough left to make a few more cables. I would like to make some for friends with stock shovel setups that just need longer cables. What ferrule/cable end would I get for the lever side of the cable. I can't seem to find exact replacements in the Flanders catalog. Ughhhhhhh. So frustrating. Sorry if this post is erratic and hard to follow. My frustration is getting to me. Any body with any info on any of this would be appreciated.

Comment

• Freewheeler
          • Dec 2012

Good post Sumo,

I need to make up some longer cables and have been itching to have a go at making my own - thanks for the Fernox link.

Nick

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
            • Jan 2015

Awesome. Thanks for sharing

Comment

• Sal
              • Dec 2012

Finaly seeing a decent cable building kit including sheathin and a decent end assortment on the market place now

Comment

• Motocrash
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Paris
                As far as flux to make the cables. Oatey #5 solder paste. They sell it in any hardware/homedepot in my part of the country. Now onto my cable problems. I bought a generic throttle and clutch cable from venhill us. I haven't done much with the throttle cable but it looks like it is going to work out great. The clutch cable is a different story. The generic clutch cable kit from venhill is to small a diameter and none of the cable ends are the correct size for my application. Which I should have started with. 1979 fxef. I got rid of the stock clutch lever and bought one off ebay that came from a 95 fx. I looked around and cannot find a cable end that goes on the lever end. So I either have to a) go with a stock shovel clutch lever. I'm not going to do this because I don't want the built in button housing. B) Order a lever for a panhead. This look like my best option. Or c) buy a random Honda clutch lever, bore it out to fit 1" handelbars, and then hope I can get the cable parts to make it work. I realy want to make my own cables. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the correct combo of cable, conduit, cable ends, and ferrules to buy. I calls Flanders today to try and get some expert help. I was told they could send me parts but I would probably get the wrong ones and be upset. They did say they would be more than happy to make me a clutch cable All I had to do was ship them my old cable and new clutch lever and tell them how much longer I wanted it and they would make it and send everything back. So if any one can point me in the right direction... Is the cable a 2.5mm or a 3mm. If it is 2.5mm do I use the 6mm or 7mm conduit. The trans end of my cable has a lead ball that measures 7.6mm. What cable end fitting would I get from Flanders to replace the ball. I don't have the pan clutch lever yet so I can't measure anything but I will need a cable end and a ferrule that fits. Any ideas? Also. If I'm gonna buy cable makings I would have enough left to make a few more cables. I would like to make some for friends with stock shovel setups that just need longer cables. What ferrule/cable end would I get for the lever side of the cable. I can't seem to find exact replacements in the Flanders catalog. Ughhhhhhh. So frustrating. Sorry if this post is erratic and hard to follow. My frustration is getting to me. Any body with any info on any of this would be appreciated.
                I'm using a Honda clutch lever on my build and 7/8" bars. I bought a cheap clutch cable off ebay for Harleys and made my own end to fit the Honda lever out of the unthreaded part of a long steel bolt. I used two drill bits in my cheapo HF drill press to make the hole. I spent less than $20 per cable. The cables are closer to 3mm (.110) and have a 7mm conduit (sheath?).
                If you are using a Harley lever, does it use the banjo (loop) looking fitting? If so, maybe your local HD dealership can give you an old trashed cable and you can de-solder the end off. Or maybe check some HD forums for a broken one? Or, buy a cheap cable with your lever fitting, and make (or buy) the tranny end ball. I'd buy a ball end that's the right diameter with a smaller hole and drill it to fit.
                BTW, I don't think Oatey's No.5 will work on stainless cables.

If you have any Q's, feel free to PM me, I may be able to help out.

Bottom Feeder Solder Pot:

1" pipe cap (de-galvanized with muriatic acid). Dip you knip in flux, dip in pot. I heat it with my handy-dandy bernzotorch.

Edit: scroll to bottom of page (Honda-Davidson clutch cable).
                Well, I guess it's about time I started my build thread. I had put this off because I knew it would take awhile but i'm starting to loose track of things. The wife has christened it "Bottom Feeder" because most of the parts have come from scouring the net and snatching up stuff others have discarded. Here's day two, I
                Last edited by Motocrash; 06-06-2015, 1:10 PM.

Comment

• IchibanMoto
                  • Nov 2013

excellent tips !

I have been cutting and fitting ends like this:

Comment

• gray
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by IchibanMoto
                    excellent tips !

I have been cutting and fitting ends like this:

Good to see you posting here. I'm a big fan of your tutorials.

Comment

• 35flathead
                      • Nov 2013

wait... dude just melted a louded round above an open flame......... am i missing something here or is that gun powder going to fall into that lead and possibly ignite!? also thats a copper jacket round wtf?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;