As in drain the tank or put a additive in the fuel

Tender the batter of remove it

Bike lift of the tires

Just the best things to do would help please

Don't want the fuel tank to rust inside

Cheers Colin
  • seaking
    • Jul 2013

Just change the oil, fill up the tank and maybe keep the battery inside should it get below zero where you store it. Don't have to fiddle with it any more than that.

Comment

• TomK
      • Oct 2013

I was taught to do all the regular maintenance before you put it away.

Take the bike for one last ride to get it up to operating temperature to both boil off any water in the system and change the oil and filter while it’s still warm (not so hot you’ll burn yourself though).

I also fill the gas tank and add a little stabilizer. You don’t want an empty tank because (unless you store the bike in a heated garage) you’ll get condensation in it.

Also, I turn the fuel valve off with it running and let the motor die from lack of fuel. This helps empty the carb of fuel, but I think your bike is fuel injected. I have no idea what to do with that.

It’s probably safer to remove your battery and put it on a charger than to leave it in the bike. You really shouldn’t let them freeze, but I have and it didn’t kill the battery.

There’s really no need to put the bike on a lift for winter storage. Just make sure the tires have the right pressure and check them periodically if you’re worried about it.

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Battery tender with quick detach cable

Comment

• Sugarcubes
          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by colinmaca
          Hello All

What are the best ways to put my 2008 Rocker C away for the winter

As in drain the tank or put a additive in the fuel

Tender the batter of remove it

Bike lift of the tires

Just the best things to do would help please

Don't want the fuel tank to rust inside

Cheers Colin
          Are you going to be leaving the bike in storage where you cant get to it? Me personally I still run my bike up until the roads get too icy and unsafe to ride it but when it inevitably comes to the time where I lay it up in the garage for a couple months, I make sure it has a fresh full tank of gas and just make sure I go out and start it up every other day and let it run for a good 10-15 mins, moving it about a bit so the tyres dont sit in the one spot and shift through the gears etc. Hasnt caused me any problems.

Comment

• 70fatster
            • Jan 2013

I've started filling my vehicles with rec90 gas before I put them away. Costs a bit more but no methanol is worth it considering what can happen.
            My garage is conditioned so I just use a battery tender.
            The batteries from my boat come inside for the winter and they last longer that way.
            I do oil changes and other stuff during winter when there's nothing better to do.
            I roll it often enough that the tires don't get a flat spot. I left a jeep in one spot for three or for months one time and the tires were bouncing and thumping fora good twenty miles or so.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

I've started filling my vehicles with rec90 gas before I put them away. Costs a bit more but no methanol is worth it considering what can happen.
              Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell pure, ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!

We currently have 16351 stations entered for the following provinces and states. Click on a province or state to see them!
              Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• colinmaca
                • Sep 2021

Big thanks to everyone
                Its in the house but i will fill the fuel tanks
                And thanks for the rest of the tips
                I knew you guys would know
                Great stuff
                Cheers Colin

Comment

• rockman96
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by colinmaca
                  Its in the house but i will fill the fuel tanks
                  Don't tell your homeowners carrier!

Comment

• kestrou
                    • Oct 2021

My garage stays heated to about 60 all winter, but winters in the cornfields have humid spells and my latest build is one big hunk of chrome waiting to rust - so is now in a “Car Capsule”.

Will let you know how it survives…

Click image for larger version

Name:	D541A70A-6F01-482E-919C-01E5748FE77A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1320534

kestrou

Comment

• Supertouch
                      • Aug 2009

Cap full of oil down cylinders give it a crank, clutch cable zip tied back, mist some wd40 on chrome, toss some blankets on it and let her sleep for the winter and maybe something over the exhaust to avoid critters getting in there.

Comment

• nmaineron
                        • Nov 2010

I do it a little differently. I fill my tanks and add some Stabil. Where I differ is I don't change my oil till first start in the spring. Why I do it this way is my bike is out in my unheated garage ,often times I go out and check things and when we have a temp differential from below freezing to above freezing all metal will be sweating. This happens quite a lot here so I just wait and do it in the spring. I also put the battery on the tender. I've been doing it this way for 30 yrs or so with no problems.

Comment

• Supertouch
                          • Aug 2009

I read starting them for a bit and letting them run is bad. Being the moisture gets in there and isn’t good for the motor. Def a battery tender as well

Comment

• nmaineron
                            • Nov 2010

I guess it depends on what kind of temps your bike sits in. If it's colder than freezing or even say 45* I don't think there is any way your going to safely get it hot enough to burn off any moisture, actually you are going to create moisture. If it's stiff, the battery is going to take a hit because it's trying to move a stiff engine and will need some time to recover. If your environment is never below freezing then you probably get some pretty warm days and and it probably won't hurt anything but I'm still in the camp of just letting it hibernate till it's time to ride regularly.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Supertouch
                              I read starting them for a bit and letting them run is bad. Being the moisture gets in there and isn’t good for the motor.
                              Yep that's my opinion all right......... If you can't ride it for at least 15 miles it's much better to just let it sit and just turn the motor over once a month if you can.... Also an empty gas tank with the cap off is also better than a full tank without some kind of additive in the gas...... But what the fuck do I know I've let bikes sit for years I just add gas put in a new battery and your ready to go riding.........

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;