Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lbfam730
    • Nov 2009

New Year Makeover

Tore the bike down to make some major changes. First, everything will be re-powder coated including the wheels. Then the forks and shocks will be rebuilt, and lastly the 1200 conversion.

blogger-image-1949262118

Here's the color scheme I'm going with. Past two years, I've been slowly stripping off the boring factory wrinkle black and denim black paint off of the "Iron 883." I've purchased shit load of aircraft remover to scrub off the color scheme that I actually paid extra for. Oh well, you live and learn. Anyway, gotta love them Duc's!

Goodies from Speed Merchant and BCM.

blogger-image--1065763164

After two days of stripping the powder coat, cutting, grinding, filing, sanding, and scotch-briting, the legs are free of all casting marks and sharp edges. The tabs are here to stay since I run a front brake and a fork brace. The top tree also got some attention and is now missing the headlight bucket tabs. Tedious and time consuming but well worth it in the end.

blogger-image-1858244224

The front end got a major upgrade by my friend Eddie at MBR (Munoz Brothers Racing) with Race Tech springs and emulators. The forks are now built specifically for my bike/body weight and my style of riding. Eddie works part time for Race Tech of Corona, CA and runs MBR out of his garage, so if you want killer deal on suspension upgrades from an honest guy, drop me a message and I'll provide you with his point of contact. Can't wait to try these babies out!

photo 1

Front end, now stripped of all black and awaiting Lowbrow's fork gaiters.

photo 1 copy

photo 2 copy

photo 3

New top clamp I picked up from Biltwell's parking lot sale.

blogger-image-1687728970

Had some free time, so I massaged some hardware and replaced others with SS.

photo 3 copy 2

Today, I picked up the tank, fender, battery / oil bag covers, and tons of little pieces back from the powder coater. I should be picking up the wheels tomorrow and have the tire mounted.

photo 2 copy 3

photo 1 copy 2

This plate hides all the hideous EFI wires.

photo 2 copy 2

Gas tank was coated in Red Baron Red. I wasn't sure how red would look on my Sporty, but seeing it mounted it looks right at home.

photo 3 copy

Since I'm going with a Ducati color scheme, I decided to break up the red gas tank and stick this on the tank. The italic Ducati font will be in white and being that it'll be vinyl sticker, I will be able to peel it off if it looks silly.

photo 1 copy 3

Tomorrow, Hella 500FF driving lamp and the wheels should be mounted. If the day is nice and warm, the headers will get some high temp treatment. Thanks to all the CC members who have been buying all my shit on classifieds, you're all definitely helping me with this makeover!

STILL KICKING
    Last edited by Lbfam730; 01-11-2012, 4:41 AM.
  • BillyT
    • Dec 2010

This bike was sick from the get go... One of the first sportys that kinda got me thinking about them.

Can't wait to see how it turns out...

Comment

• misfitJason
      • Sep 2009

That's a sick bike. Also I love that Ducati. Is that one your too? That's my next bike or a monster

Comment

• Lbfam730
        • Nov 2009

Here's an update. I got the wheels back from the powder coater. I wanted gold wheels but didn't want it to be too yellowish, so I chose metallic beige with another coat of clear and hoped for the best. The sample they had looked like light gold so I thought it would be fine. Well, I picked them up and the wheels look too beige and not metallic enough. Instead of giving it back to the powder coater I decided to mount it on the bike and see if it'll improve. To my surprise it didn't look bad on the bike but I can't stop thinking about gold so I'm getting it re-done.

This picture makes the wheels look gold. If it was this color it would have been a keeper.

photo 1

Beige doesn't look bad, but not good enough. Here's more pics with the new headlamp and tank decal. The guy who made the decals told me that it's misspelled.

photo 5

photo 4

photo 3

photo 2

Thanks BillyT, I followed your Sporty build and loved every bit of it, especially the inverted forks. Jason, sadly that's not my Ducati but I've always been a huge fan of them and one day in the future I hope to own a pearl white 1198. But as of now, after I'm done modding the Sporty, I'll be saving up for a Triumph Street Triple R to make it into an even more stripped down modern cafe racer.
        Last edited by Lbfam730; 01-11-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• billdozer
          • Apr 2024

Nice, Tim. Have you ever thought about making some kind of rigid seat/cowl kinda set up on there?

Comment

• Lbfam730
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by billdozer
            Nice, Tim. Have you ever thought about making some kind of rigid seat/cowl kinda set up on there?
            Thanks, Bill. I have been thinking about something like that. After I'm done with this makeover, I can't think of anything else to do it other than making a rigid seat that hugs the frame. BTW, the moto-X style bar would look right on it. Come on, February!

Tomorrow, the calipers will get shaved and smoothed down and sprayed with silver caliper paint. According UPS, 1200 kit will arrive tomorrow.
            Last edited by Lbfam730; 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Saltytonk
              • Mar 2011

Man , your bike was one of my favorites here on the CC. I'm gonna like it even more now! Keep the pics comeing!

Comment

• Lbfam730
                • Nov 2009

Used some files and elbow grease to highlight the fins on the head. The new big bore kit will have silver finished cylinders which should make the motor pop.

photo

Comment

• shane4585
                  • Nov 2011

looks killer

Comment

• Welderjosh
                    • Jan 2011

Where did you get this?

Comment

• Lbfam730
                      • Nov 2009

Today was hectic so I couldn't work on the bike for long. All I got done was finish highlighting the heads and spraying the first coat of VHT after smoothing out the front caliper.

photo copy 2

Just in today. Horses and alligators in a box.

photo copy

I was never a big fan of fork gaiters, but I think it breaks up the bare front-end nicely and compliments the headlamp and the grips.

photo
                      Last edited by Lbfam730; 01-12-2012, 8:37 PM.

Comment

• Lbfam730
                        • Nov 2009

Got the wheels back and this time the gold is on the money. Other than that, the exhaust got the high temp treatmentl.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

photo 5
                        Last edited by Lbfam730; 01-17-2012, 7:38 PM.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                          • Sep 2011

Wow, loving this bike. I will echo the others and say I liked the previous version too, so I know this will be killer. I like your contemporary aesthetic and it applies well to a typically old school world.

Comment

• marsupial
                            • Apr 2011

I love Ducatis & I love Sportsters. Great tank decals. The world needs more Harley riders with a sense of humor.

Bike is looking pretty damned sweet.

The red ones will always be fastest.

Comment

• tobiism
                              • Aug 2009

Looks fantastic man. I love it!!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;