Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poncho
    • Jul 2011

xs650 balls

Found a great deal on an xs650 for my next build. Basically looking to know power wise, will an xs650 have any problems doing 75mph down the hwy? I have never ridden one, keeping in mind the build is gonna be a 60's style chop, will an xs650 provide the balls to still make it a fairly quick rider? how will it compare to my stock Evo?
  • TarLungs
    • Sep 2011

I'm about 240 and mine pulls me down the freeway just fine. Totally different animal from an evo though.

Comment

• Hooligan80
      • Jul 2010

You want to mess with your front/rear sprocket combos, and invest in a MikesXS 5th gear overdrive if you have the right year that can utilize it.

Comment

• cros36
        • Dec 2010

im 260# and can go 75. its shakey as hell tho. im dropping down to 18/32 this winter to help with that. my carbs wernt synced either, oh and i never hit it with a timing light so that could have been off too.

Comment

• calicruiser
          • Aug 2009

my stock motor hardtailed chop was ready to shake apart at 65 with an 17/32 sprocket combo. I had the motor rebuilt with a 750 kit added and 18/32 sprocket combo and she cruises at 75 no problem.

Comment

• poncho
            • Jul 2011

pretty much sounds like a little bit of proper tuning, and messing around I should be fine. Motor wise are there any differences between the years thats important to know?

Comment

• cros36
              • Dec 2010

what year motor do you have? 71-73 is different from 74 thru end

Comment

• purerockfury
                • Mar 2011

mine get's a little sketchy over 65. i got, think it's a 17 up front with a 30 in the rear...another gear would definitely be nice...gets up to 65 pretty quick though

Comment

• Hooligan80
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by poncho
                  pretty much sounds like a little bit of proper tuning, and messing around I should be fine. Motor wise are there any differences between the years thats important to know?
                  Two different motors in the XS650. The early years 256 and the later 447. If you have a 447, you can do a clutch pressure wad swap with an earlier 256 that has the longer one piece clutch rod. The 447 motor is the only one you can use the MikesXS 5th gear overdrive on. Also, I think Hugh only rephases the 447 motors, I don't remember.

Comment

• cros36
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hooligan80
                    Two different motors in the XS650. The early years 256 and the later 447. If you have a 447, you can do a clutch pressure wad swap with an earlier 256 that has the longer one piece clutch rod. The 447 motor is the only one you can use the MikesXS 5th gear overdrive on. Also, I think Hugh only rephases the 447 motors, I don't remember.
                    mikes 5th gear is for 78-84 as stated on their website. the 447 motors started in 74. so you can have a 447 motor year 74-77 and not be able to use the od 5th gear.

Comment

• Hooligan80
                      • Jul 2010

Quoted from Hugh in an other thread

Originally posted by Punkskalar
                      Carbs, Ignition, yes.

Also slightly different cam specs. 72 is hotter

Transmissions are cut differently, but geared the same.

72 MIGHT be a 22mm wristpin engine, if it is a 256 Engine, 447 Engine (82 model) will be a 20MM wrist pin and has alot more options for engine mods.

72 MAY not have an electric starter

256 Engines (early stuff) also have different Cam chain tensioners, and less teeth on the cam/crank gears.

Late Model Engines have an oil sight on the sidecover
                      Last edited by Hooligan80; 01-09-2012, 7:43 AM.

Comment

• Puker
                        • Jan 2011

I had a '75 I restored to bone stock and it it was smooth at 75mph. I'm 5'11" 175. Best things to do to are definitely the 32/18 gear swap and some mikuni round slide carbs. Don't know what you intend to do with the bike style wise but shaving weight is a great idea too. Keep those tires inflated properly... uhh... don't go swimming right after eating? I'm out of advice. I'd recommend an xs. They've been good to me.

Comment

• poncho
                          • Jul 2011

Thanks for all the info. unfortunately the guy who's selling it doesn't know much about the motor. I'm gonna go take another look this week. Sounds like everyone who's built them has been pretty happy with em.

Comment

• Hooligan80
                            • Jul 2010

There should be some kind of Vin number on it.. Get that and one of us could decode it.

Comment

• poncho
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Hooligan80
                              There should be some kind of Vin number on it.. Get that and one of us could decode it.
                              In your opinion which motor is more desirable, early or late?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;