Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChoppyGee
    • Aug 2009

Looking for some input (Barbers)

Ok I'll going to trying to not be long winded on this. we'll see how it goes. So I've always been fascinated with old stuff (bikes,cars) basically anything and it actually started with the old Barber Equipment my grandparents had the belonged to my Great uncle Cliff of which now I own most of it. So one of my hobbies is Vintage Shaving and Barbering equipment which naturally led to being intrigued with Barbershops and the dying art of Barbering.

Anyways I've been passively looking into Barber school for quite awhile and just couldn't make the move to be close enough to one and just financially couldn't swing it but, I just recently found out about a little program thats within commuting distance, the tuition is very reasonable and as far as I can tell has a good reputation. I'm really thinking about it, I want to own my own shop. Now I know its not the best type to open any business but I think I have a plan and a formula that could work.

I'm thinking of something similar to Hawleywoods in California and Tom Cat's in NYC in the way of throwback traditional but try to make all my own just the same. It would be a warm old timey looking place with cool car/bike/old shit all over the walls i've got a bunch of photos from uncle cliff's place i'd hang up. Old barber chairs and the whole nine yards. total men's club type of a thing though no women, T.v.'s with a game on Ice cold soda or PBR while you wait. It'll be full service haircuts, hot shave, scalp massage. Ok i'm full on rambling now. There's nothing like this around and the only place that even calls itself a barber shop here has no men working in it at all. I think i can get this to go.

Anyway, my questions are this. A: where do you guys get your haircut? what kind of a joint is it? Why do you go there? If you don't already would you go to a place thats cool to hang out in, the job gets done well even if it costs a little extra? also do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, sorry it was long winded.
  • NHMike
    • Apr 2024

I go to a place in Dover, NH called "Loaded Dice". The place itself is a destination, with a pool table, tattoo shop, punching bag you know, a real MAN kinda place. It's got a nice, old school feel to it. AND if you're a regular like me, they offer up free beer while you wait. Awesome place.

Comment

• sociallydistorted
      • Aug 2009

I like old barber shop equipment, advertising, etc. too. However; I honestly don't think I would pay much extra just to get my hair cut at a place that is filled with cool car/bike stuff on the wall, or watch a game for 5 minutes while I wait, or drink a beer and look at skin mags. I think all of the extra shit dangling from the walls would make it more of a novelty place rather than a cool place to sit down and chat with friends.

I got my hair cut at the same barber shop in Texas since I was a child. It is owned and ran by two old men named Chico and Mario. They had deer mounts and pictures of the stringers of bass they caught, an old coke machine (original, same machine for 50 years), original chairs. This place hadn't changed in decades and they were the only two people that ever worked there. I would sit and talk with those guys for an hour after my haircut just because they were hilarious and had the best stories. They are the real deal. I just hate seeing people trying too hard to be from a time they obviously weren't from. The whole rockabilly scene and all of that faggotry is absolutely ridiculous. Now I'M rambling. All I'm saying is if you manage the place right and don't go overboard on the "cool factor" it may be a pretty cool place. Good luck man!

Comment

• REV
        • Aug 2009

theres 2 places that come to mind in my town. one place is kinda upper class, richie rich place downtown charleston that ive never been to, but hear good things. theyre a full service thing. http://www.gentsbarberspa.com/

i dont think ill ever go there, because there cupping balls in a sense.

the place i go to is called Mooney's Barber Shop. 2 locations been here since I was a kid and is where my grandpa took me to get a hair cut. mostly worked by old ladies, but they still do the straight razor shave on the neck which is nice.

If i were you, check into the regulations regarding sanitation and such with the shaving, ive heard theres some issues with that at times. just to see if you can do all youre wanting ya know.

second, i think if you put something together that is a mans place, like barber shop with a back room with cigars and a pool table (maybe even a mini bar with someone to sell brown stuff) then it would be a cool thing. its what i would do, and have thought of before, (tattoo shop, barber and cigars)

either way, its not a bad idea to always have something to fall back on. good barbers are hard to come by where im at.

Comment

• NHMike
          • Apr 2024

Also...

if you do Pube cuts. No one is doing them anymore.

Comment

• sociallydistorted
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by NHMike
            if you do Pube cuts. No one is doing them anymore.

Thats not true, I just got a trim and pube-perm last week.

Comment

• bigjae805
              • Mar 2011

when i get down in AZ...free beer, get a small tatty, and a perfect taper!

Comment

• NHMike
                • Apr 2024

Well....

Originally posted by sociallydistorted
                Thats not true, I just got a trim and pube-perm last week.
                Maybe where you are, but up here in NH you gotta take care of that shit yourself. And when you're a fat shit like my it's damn near impossible to trim the Taint without nicking your nuts.

Comment

• ChoppyGee
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sociallydistorted
                  I like old barber shop equipment, advertising, etc. too. However; I honestly don't think I would pay much extra just to get my hair cut at a place that is filled with cool car/bike stuff on the wall, or watch a game for 5 minutes while I wait, or drink a beer and look at skin mags. I think all of the extra shit dangling from the walls would make it more of a novelty place rather than a cool place to sit down and chat with friends.

I got my hair cut at the same barber shop in Texas since I was a child. It is owned and ran by two old men named Chico and Mario. They had deer mounts and pictures of the stringers of bass they caught, an old coke machine (original, same machine for 50 years), original chairs. This place hadn't changed in decades and they were the only two people that ever worked there. I would sit and talk with those guys for an hour after my haircut just because they were hilarious and had the best stories. They are the real deal. I just hate seeing people trying too hard to be from a time they obviously weren't from. The whole rockabilly scene and all of that faggotry is absolutely ridiculous. Now I'M rambling. All I'm saying is if you manage the place right and don't go overboard on the "cool factor" it may be a pretty cool place. Good luck man!
                  I see what you're saying, some of these high profile places like tom cats charge like 35 for a basic cut. thats cool they can get that whatever but in my part of the country not only would that shit not fly but i'd for like a ranging asshole charging that. I think around here a men's hair cut is like 12 bucks 19 if you want a shampoo at like a generic great clips or whatever and I was thinking in the 14-18 dollar range I mean i haven't looked into operating costs a ton so i don't know how do able that is but thats the target. Also I think i misstated what i'm going after, I want the inside to be cool with some old stuff in hangin around because i love old shit but I don't want it to be a barber shop that thinks its a tattoo shop. I've seen those and its too much. thanks for the input guys.
                  Last edited by ChoppyGee; 12-28-2011, 5:49 PM.

Comment

• nick5
                    • Jan 2010

I think its a great idea, its something that I think about often as well so im interested in hearing peoples opinions on this.

Comment

• rigidchop
                      • Feb 2011

I cut my own hair, because I'm bald. I take my son to the only "barber shop" in town. Big fish on the walls, deer, antelope heads. One old timer works there part time, he used to own the place, but a cut is only $9 plus the tip. I live in a small town though, so I don't know what it costs at a bigger place, or in the city. Sounds like a cool destination spot though, and you'll never know till you try.

Comment

• onigoroshi
                        • Aug 2009

do it! but make sure you figure it out so if you go out of business you don't have to sell your vintage equipment.

Comment

• Hooligan80
                          • Jul 2010

I say go for it, and keep your prices reasonable ($10 to $15 range). Problem with places like Hawleywoods and Tom Cats is the stupid salon prices. My barber I have now was Donny Hawley's apprentice, then he moved to a little hole in the wall barber shop out here and gives the same quality cups for about $10 less than what Hawleywoods or any of the shops charge.

Comment

• Deadweight
                            • Apr 2024

The price thing is why my Girl took a break from hair. People weren't spending the money the were a few years ago on hair. It was cut only, nothing fancy. She said She's going back, as it's starting to pick up again, so I think now is as good a time as any to do this. Good luck to ya Choppy!

Also when ya make it out to Denver, there is a cool antique mall that is always full of vintage barber stuff.

Comment

• Speedfiend
                              • Dec 2009

My wife and I own a salon. Its kind of a higher end place, for our little town anyway. We''ve been in buisness for 8 yrs now. We have managed to grow our buisness every year since we opened, despite the damned economy. Here's us http://www.blisssaloninc.com/

Anyway, a bit of advice- You already know that barbering is fading. It's gonna be a tough road. Guys don't wanna pay more than $10 for a cut, no matter how retro cool your place is. Unless you're in NY or LA. So you can't spend too much time/money on fluff. They need to be in and out in 15 min for you to make 3 cuts pr hour. Think about that, thats alot of busting ass for not alot of dough after the bills. Some places do find a way to make it work. Near us in Asheville(frikkin hipster ground zero) is Blue Ribbon (salon).http://blueribbonsalon.com/
                              They're a rockabilly joint, but not a barber shop. They're making it work OK.
                              It can be done.

BUT, before you go signing a lease and starting up shop. Pay those dues! (get some experience) When you finish school, get a job at a shop, even app. work. Learn how its done in real shop and decide if you can and want to do it. We wont put any stylist stright out of school on our floor. School teachs you how to pass the test to get your license, not how to cut hair.

Best of luck!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;