CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default upgraded intake manifold

Is upgrading the intake manifold on my TC worth while or a waste of money. I have the standards better pipes, AC and modified CV carb. Don't really have the money for cams or head work right but trying to squeeze what I can out of her. thoughts?

Get Adobe Flash player

no one has an answer??

Get Adobe Flash player

Intake mani isnt going to yield hp per your butt dyna. You carbed up, breathing good with better pipes now? Next up or first up on the list should be head work. Port and polish, valve lap, maybe spend a few bucks on some nice springs and replace any bad bits in there. Now thats cheap upgrade. Or just keep tackin shit on your shit box. Wtf is a tc anyhow?

Get Adobe Flash player

thats what i was thinking. Yeah every thing I could do the outside has been done. just gonna save up for head work. 88 twin cam.

Get Adobe Flash player

the only thing i can see to be done is something i do on most bikes of mine is to polish the intake (if needed) and make sure theres smooth transitions with every part. you probably wont feel a difference on such a big bike (i do this on old mopeds and theres a def difference)

i have a friend whos an idiot with some heavy tools and he actually rifled the intake....

Get Adobe Flash player

head work is one of the biggest things to increase performance next to teh obvios pipes. It only cost as much as a good set of bolt on pipes, and most places will do exchange so your bikes not down very long. Jsut remember it all has to work together to work right. you can have the best of everything in the motor and it runs like shit while DAn at nrhs is building 100hp sportsters everyday with screaming eagle cams, a 1210cc kit and some good cnc head porting. for about 2 grand all together.

Get Adobe Flash player

If your going through your early twin cam motor, you should consider replacing the o rings in the oil pump and the cam Chain tensioner. The tensioner wears into a groove then chips into pieces. Eventually binding up the cam chain and blocking oil passages with fragments. It gets pretty ugly after that.

Get Adobe Flash player

What year is the bike, if the castings say 1999 or 02 I think they flow like 195, or 185 maybe, if you put 2006 casting on they flow 220, get them off ebay for 350. Plus 06 heads springs go to 550 maybe, youll want to check to be sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    the only thing i can see to be done is something i do on most bikes of mine is to polish the intake (if needed) and make sure theres smooth transitions with every part. you probably wont feel a difference on such a big bike (i do this on old mopeds and theres a def difference)

i have a friend whos an idiot with some heavy tools and he actually rifled the intake....
    bad idea . . . you want your intake to be semi-smooth, but not polished, almost a brushed look, a mirror polish on your intake or intake ports will cause pooling of gas droplets . . . atomizing the fuel is the name of the game, a mirror polish on either intake or intake ports will reflect poorly in hp.

Get Adobe Flash player

i didnt mean mirror polish, but smooth out the castings and the edges to make sure that theres no "finger snags" and its all even. all my intakes ive done have light sanding marks left just for that reason. just need to use a different term

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by easyspeed View Post
    If your going through your early twin cam motor, you should consider replacing the o rings in the oil pump and the cam Chain tensioner. The tensioner wears into a groove then chips into pieces. Eventually binding up the cam chain and blocking oil passages with fragments. It gets pretty ugly after that.
    chain tensioner and o rings were all ready replaced at about 40000, bike now has almost 50000 on it. I have seen the aftermath of this and its not pretty.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GnarlyHarley View Post
    What year is the bike, if the castings say 1999 or 02 I think they flow like 195, or 185 maybe, if you put 2006 casting on they flow 220, get them off ebay for 350. Plus 06 heads springs go to 550 maybe, youll want to check to be sure.
    its an 02. i have heard this before but couldnt find any tech to back it up. got a link to any info?

Get Adobe Flash player

Ill find it, 06 heads had better flow , better springs and valves. I know they flow about 30 cfms mor that the early heads.

Get Adobe Flash player

http://www.neverworld.net/socalnetsc...BStudyRel1.pdf

Thats where I got all my info when I was trying to trade a guy a set of Twincan heads for a stock set of shoveheads, he was doing the same thing but he thought he needed a set of Branch heads for a stocker didnt want to listen to reason, 06 heads are gonna rock on that, but head porters are gonna tell you different because they want to charge you more for the same work, but you can only port so far on 06 heads compared to the early one, but Im sure you can get 280 out of them.

Get Adobe Flash player

http://www.neverworld.net/socalnetsc...BStudyRel1.pdf

Thats where I got all my info when I was trying to trade a guy a set of Twincan heads for a stock set of shoveheads, he was doing the same thing but he thought he needed a set of Branch heads for a stocker didnt want to listen to reason, 06 heads are gonna rock on that, but head porters are gonna tell you different because they want to charge you more for the same work, but you can only port so far on 06 heads compared to the early one, but Im sure you can get 280 out of them.
    thanks for the link.

Get Adobe Flash player

head work won't get you much if anything without changing cams. also you can have your cylinders bored and go to a 95" motor. the 06 and up heads would be a good starting point and can be worked from there too. the right combo of parts will get you over 100hp & 100ft lbs easily. S&S has a great headwork program for cheap money if you have an S&S dealer around you. also they have compression release cams that are sick as hell and work great!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 83hdchopper View Post
    head work won't get you much if anything without changing cams. also you can have your cylinders bored and go to a 95" motor. the 06 and up heads would be a good starting point and can be worked from there too. the right combo of parts will get you over 100hp & 100ft lbs easily. S&S has a great headwork program for cheap money if you have an S&S dealer around you. also they have compression release cams that are sick as hell and work great!
    absolutely right.
    My twin cam has an NRHS built 95 in it (was a surprise I didn't know about when I bought it) complete with cams, cnc ported heads, carb and pipes. it put 117hp to the ground and almost that much tq in a nice broad curve, and as far as I can tell the whole setup was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3500 bucks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Im not a reat big Twin Cam fan, and I say dont do anything untill you do the timken conversion, I would shoot for 88 hp 90 lbs torque, If I wanted to get more I would just sell the whole thing and buy an Evo FLH and strip everything off that I didnt want and sell it to go with supercharged evo, and shoot for the 150 mark. I think my next bike is gonna be just that, with T-man heads and say fuck the rest.Gonna be a few years unless I sell the Shovel and that aint gonna happen anytime soon, if ever, I can spank twincam 88 right now anytime anyware. I would like to have another gear tho, but I would eat 5 speeds for lunch and cant afford a Baker with a kick starter. Sorry I always turn into a Twincam basher, I just cant stop myself, ride what you want ,but Ill never own one.

And for God sakes dont buy S&S anything.

Get Adobe Flash player

Im not a reat big Twin Cam fan, and I say dont do anything untill you do the timken conversion, I would shoot for 88 hp 90 lbs torque, If I wanted to get more I would just sell the whole thing and buy an Evo FLH and strip everything off that I didnt want and sell it to go with supercharged evo, and shoot for the 150 mark. I think my next bike is gonna be just that, with T-man heads and say fuck the rest.Gonna be a few years unless I sell the Shovel and that aint gonna happen anytime soon, if ever, I can spank twincam 88 right now anytime anyware. I would like to have another gear tho, but I would eat 5 speeds for lunch and cant afford a Baker with a kick starter. Sorry I always turn into a Twincam basher, I just cant stop myself, ride what you want ,but Ill never own one.

And for God sakes dont buy S&S anything.
    yep. gear drive was part of the package.

oh,my bad. the bearing! Shit I don't know...
    Last edited by ibuiltmine; 12-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If it has a gear drive in it,and still running, its more that likely good, I think run out should be no more that .005, some of the Twincams saw more than .010, to me that isnt quality, not to mention the cylinders being out of round. Gear drives cant take that much movement, really noisey and can tear up the cam plate bushing and if you do the hydrolic tensioner conversion, make sure you get the cam plate with the bushing and not just running on aluminum, they will try to sell you this one. Thats what Harley is doing to save money, and most of the after market also. You will hear some running this junk with no problems and some with thousands of dollars in a rebuild. Like I said, I dont own one , but have seen first hand what Harleys penny pinching has done.

Share This