Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brach77
    • Oct 2011

upgraded intake manifold

Is upgrading the intake manifold on my TC worth while or a waste of money. I have the standards better pipes, AC and modified CV carb. Don't really have the money for cams or head work right but trying to squeeze what I can out of her. thoughts?
  • brach77
    • Oct 2011

no one has an answer??

Comment

• easyspeed
      • Dec 2010

Intake mani isnt going to yield hp per your butt dyna. You carbed up, breathing good with better pipes now? Next up or first up on the list should be head work. Port and polish, valve lap, maybe spend a few bucks on some nice springs and replace any bad bits in there. Now thats cheap upgrade. Or just keep tackin shit on your shit box. Wtf is a tc anyhow?

Comment

• brach77
        • Oct 2011

thats what i was thinking. Yeah every thing I could do the outside has been done. just gonna save up for head work. 88 twin cam.

Comment

• REV
          • Aug 2009

the only thing i can see to be done is something i do on most bikes of mine is to polish the intake (if needed) and make sure theres smooth transitions with every part. you probably wont feel a difference on such a big bike (i do this on old mopeds and theres a def difference)

i have a friend whos an idiot with some heavy tools and he actually rifled the intake....

Comment

• ibuiltmine
            • Jun 2010

head work is one of the biggest things to increase performance next to teh obvios pipes. It only cost as much as a good set of bolt on pipes, and most places will do exchange so your bikes not down very long. Jsut remember it all has to work together to work right. you can have the best of everything in the motor and it runs like shit while DAn at nrhs is building 100hp sportsters everyday with screaming eagle cams, a 1210cc kit and some good cnc head porting. for about 2 grand all together.

Comment

• easyspeed
              • Dec 2010

If your going through your early twin cam motor, you should consider replacing the o rings in the oil pump and the cam Chain tensioner. The tensioner wears into a groove then chips into pieces. Eventually binding up the cam chain and blocking oil passages with fragments. It gets pretty ugly after that.

Comment

• GnarlyHarley
                • Sep 2011

What year is the bike, if the castings say 1999 or 02 I think they flow like 195, or 185 maybe, if you put 2006 casting on they flow 220, get them off ebay for 350. Plus 06 heads springs go to 550 maybe, youll want to check to be sure.

Comment

• wifebeater
                  • Jul 2010

Originally posted by REV
                  the only thing i can see to be done is something i do on most bikes of mine is to polish the intake (if needed) and make sure theres smooth transitions with every part. you probably wont feel a difference on such a big bike (i do this on old mopeds and theres a def difference)

i have a friend whos an idiot with some heavy tools and he actually rifled the intake....
                  bad idea . . . you want your intake to be semi-smooth, but not polished, almost a brushed look, a mirror polish on your intake or intake ports will cause pooling of gas droplets . . . atomizing the fuel is the name of the game, a mirror polish on either intake or intake ports will reflect poorly in hp.

Comment

• REV
                    • Aug 2009

i didnt mean mirror polish, but smooth out the castings and the edges to make sure that theres no "finger snags" and its all even. all my intakes ive done have light sanding marks left just for that reason. just need to use a different term

Comment

• brach77
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by easyspeed
                      If your going through your early twin cam motor, you should consider replacing the o rings in the oil pump and the cam Chain tensioner. The tensioner wears into a groove then chips into pieces. Eventually binding up the cam chain and blocking oil passages with fragments. It gets pretty ugly after that.
                      chain tensioner and o rings were all ready replaced at about 40000, bike now has almost 50000 on it. I have seen the aftermath of this and its not pretty.

Comment

• brach77
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by GnarlyHarley
                        What year is the bike, if the castings say 1999 or 02 I think they flow like 195, or 185 maybe, if you put 2006 casting on they flow 220, get them off ebay for 350. Plus 06 heads springs go to 550 maybe, youll want to check to be sure.
                        its an 02. i have heard this before but couldnt find any tech to back it up. got a link to any info?

Comment

• GnarlyHarley
                          • Sep 2011

Ill find it, 06 heads had better flow , better springs and valves. I know they flow about 30 cfms mor that the early heads.

Comment

• GnarlyHarley
                            • Sep 2011

Thats where I got all my info when I was trying to trade a guy a set of Twincan heads for a stock set of shoveheads, he was doing the same thing but he thought he needed a set of Branch heads for a stocker didnt want to listen to reason, 06 heads are gonna rock on that, but head porters are gonna tell you different because they want to charge you more for the same work, but you can only port so far on 06 heads compared to the early one, but Im sure you can get 280 out of them.

Comment

• brach77
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by GnarlyHarley
                              http://www.neverworld.net/socalnetsc...BStudyRel1.pdf

Thats where I got all my info when I was trying to trade a guy a set of Twincan heads for a stock set of shoveheads, he was doing the same thing but he thought he needed a set of Branch heads for a stocker didnt want to listen to reason, 06 heads are gonna rock on that, but head porters are gonna tell you different because they want to charge you more for the same work, but you can only port so far on 06 heads compared to the early one, but Im sure you can get 280 out of them.
                              thanks for the link.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;