Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Southbanker
    • Sep 2010

Back in 2009 when this thread was posted it ruled.

Comment

• ElekVins
      • May 2011

I'm in NYC for a few days, looking for SAE nuts and bolts for motorcycle use, want to buy a bunch of all sizes (asssortment boxes maybe?) 'cause in Europe they're hard to come by.

I tried several hardware store yet with no luck, either they have small packages only or very few choices.

Anybody can recommend me a place to go?

Comment

• ArkTinkerer
        • Jun 2014

Second here on Tractor Supply for most stuff. Use to have a scrap metal yard that would let you prowl but that seems to be gone by the wayside everywhere in the litigious USA. Fastenal is expensive but the place to go for that really oddball gotta have nut/bolt/screw/fastener.

Comment

• Townson
          • May 2012

I'm also gonna agree on Tractor Supply. I got quite a bit of sheet metal there for my last bike. Plus they have tools, welders and all kinds of other good shit.

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
            • Jun 2014

MacGyver tip of the day:

Industrial ANSI Roller Chain (can be purchased at any decent farm store) #50 steel chain is the same pitch & width as 530 chain (5/8" x 3/8").
            The cost is a fraction of a motorcycle chain price. You can get enough for two motorcycle chains for 20-50 bucks.
            Most tensile strength of 530 chain is around 7400 to 9000 lbs. Industrial Roller chain #50 has 7,200 lb strength. So it's not quite as strong... also, #50 generally doesn't have x or o rings to keep dirt out which effects longevity or requires more maintenance
            But at that cost, in a pinch, it can save your day.

I learned this from my buddy that just rode from SLC to Canada to SLC to Kansas and back to SLC on his #50 roller chain.
            I found the tensile strength and lack of X/O rings by reading into it online.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Elekvins:

I suggest looking for industrial suppliers suck as Fastenal. They are a bit high but they stock bulk and they've got fine threaded fasteners and ALL METAL FINE THREAD LOCK NUTS which you want a shitload of for obvious reasons.

They also have the good adhesive-lined industrial heat shrink tubing.

The industrial chain tip is very good and very old. The rating difference doesn't mean shit. Chain wears out and rarely breaks. I'd run industrial chain with no worries.

Comment

• 53rigid
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by farmall
                Elekvins:

I suggest looking for industrial suppliers suck as Fastenal. They are a bit high but they stock bulk and they've got fine threaded fasteners and ALL METAL FINE THREAD LOCK NUTS which you want a shitload of for obvious reasons.

They also have the good adhesive-lined industrial heat shrink tubing.

The industrial chain tip is very good and very old. The rating difference doesn't mean shit. Chain wears out and rarely breaks. I'd run industrial chain with no worries.
                Hey Farmall, I am considering going that route with the chain, what chain grease do you use? I assume that kind of lube technology has advanced so it does not fly off the chain at speed?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;