CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Lowes or Home Depot Parts...

well not all of us are lucky enough to live where parts are in abundance, and homemade stuff is the best, so what are some cool finds or mods that a person can get supply's for anywhere?

I'm a big fan of the ol' gas pipe struts

Last edited by xharleyx; 08-04-2009 at 6:47 PM.

Halwade

... and I am a fan of shaft-drive choppers! Show us some more pictures of your rig.

BTW, strap steel at Home Depot has saved my ass mor times than I can count, but their nuts and bolts section is dog shit IMO

Get Adobe Flash player

McGoo is right about the hardware section... unless you are looking for sheetrock screws.

I was in need of a wheel chock with no access to a welder. so I picked up a length of copper pipe from the H.D. and proceeded to cut and sweat myself one. Worked like a champ and cost me like $11.

~E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01255.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xharleyx View Post
    well not all of us are lucky enough to live where parts are in abundance, and homemade stuff is the best, so what are some cool finds or mods that a person can get supply's for anywhere?

You got more pics of the gas pipe struts. What size pipe did you use.

+2 McGoo! H.D. definitely sucks for hardware. Don't even bother looking for anything metric.
    Last edited by 1RedBeard; 08-04-2009 at 9:48 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Halwade View Post
    ... and I am a fan of shaft-drive choppers! Show us some more pictures of your rig.

BTW, strap steel at Home Depot has saved my ass mor times than I can count, but their nuts and bolts section is dog shit IMO
    That's what Ace Hardware is for.

Get Adobe Flash player

Lowes has awsome hardware assortment. Spend 10 minutes looking in all the drawers by fasteners, they got alot of useful shit

Get Adobe Flash player

I've used more than my fair share of gas valve petcocks, duct strap for just about anything... and recently started using the neoprene shower pan liner to isolate tank vibration on the backbone of a couple bikes... i'm always keeping an eye out for the next el-cheap-o hardware store fix-it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xharleyx View Post

Curious, that's me. Especially since I've got a XJ650 that I've been toying with struting as well. what did you use for the eyelets?

Get Adobe Flash player

You could always look around on this site
    http://www.mcmaster.com

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WayneBallard View Post
    You could always look around on this site
    http://www.mcmaster.com
    If this was directed towards me - great site, but I'm dumb. I'm the type that needs a lot of guidance and needs to hold a part in his hands before he can visualize/imagine what it could become. Maybe I need to go to Lowe's and start picking stuff up......hmmm.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by earz View Post
    If this was directed towards me - great site, but I'm dumb. I'm the type that needs a lot of guidance and needs to hold a part in his hands before he can visualize/imagine what it could become. Maybe I need to go to Lowe's and start picking stuff up......hmmm.
    You could always run to Lowes/Home depot and steal one of their clerks, then use McMaster-Carr with their guidence. lol

Get Adobe Flash player

same with me but ACE is the place!

Get Adobe Flash player

I've used threaded rod for a headlight mount. I left about 4" sticking out on each side to thread the Harley blinkers directly on to make a nice narrow setup. Cost about a buck for the rod and a few nuts and washers. And ACE beats out the others for sure.

NHMike

I go to Lowes for alot of my nuts and bolts. Use Home Depot as well sometimes, just depends what's closer. I made the mount for my seat out of some flat bar I got at HD. Cut the ends and then bent it in my vice. It's not the purtiest thing out there but niether is my bike, hahahaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seat 3.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I love ACE I think I was there every day over a 4 week build, hardware, spacers, grommets....yes......

Get Adobe Flash player

Man I've been bummed on ACE lately. I've had at least a dozen brand new stainless bolts seize in the past couple months. I've had to snap them off to get them out. Fortunately only one was in a one off part but that part sucked to remake and I grease or anti seize everything.

We have Marshalls hardware in Mira Mar, San Diego, Mcfadden dale in Corona & Anahiem & although an Ace store Hanks in Temecula seem to have better quality stainless.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ace is the place for me.

As to stainless steel seizing,

>>>>>>>>>>>
    Also important to know when using stainless steel fasteners is that they tend to gall, or cold weld. I also wish I had a nickel for every customer that came to Hillco claiming "You sold me the wrong nut. Look, it stuck to the bolt, and I had to break it to get it off!" I then point to the signs posted everywhere recommending the use of anti-seize to prevent galling. This is where I usually hear them say "Ohhhh. So that's what anti-seize is for." We recommend using nickel anti-seize (ND Industries Vibra-Tite part # ND90704, a 4-oz bottle for $9.50). Think of it as cheap insurance for your stainless steel nuts and bolts. You'll spend a lot of time breaking, grinding, and cutting off bolts if you don't use anti-seize.
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.hillcofasteners.com/articles/24,1.html
    shamelessly stolen from

Stainless steel have a tendancy to seize MORE then other fasteners, as well as being weak as far as shear forces go, TFA says they aren't as strong as grade 2 bolts.

Hope this helps!

jaz
    Last edited by jazzmans; 08-05-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: wrong acronym

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    That's what Ace Hardware is for.
    for real... Half of my bike is shit from ace.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by earz View Post
    Curious, that's me. Especially since I've got a XJ650 that I've been toying with struting as well. what did you use for the eyelets?
    i got the pipe at lowes in the plumbing section. it's galvanized gas pipe. i used 1/2" for the shaft of the strut and 3/4" for the eyelets, the catch is, i used the stock rubber bushings out of the stock shocks. ground them down a little bit with a grinder but they slid right in, so i have rubber mounted struts now lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Halwade View Post

here are the only other pics I have right now because i literally just got started on it and i cant decide what direction i am going to go with it. it's my first chop and i'm learning as i go. I knew nothing about bikes when I started on this and i'm learning new stuff every day

all opinions are welcome

Share This